Sharing A Plotter/Printer

jr

Sharing A Plotter/Printer
When I try to print (Laptop with Vista) to the Network (XP machine) Plotter,
I receive this message " Windows cannot connect to the printer. The printer
driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks
NT 4.0 drivers". I realize this is an old plotter, however the driver
installs and works fine in the XP enviroment. Is there any way I can remove
this policy?

HP laptop; Vista
Calcomp Techjet Designer 720
XP server

Thanks!
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Sharing A Plotter/Printer
See if this helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282011/en-us
Printer Driver Is Not Compatible If a Policy Is Enabled on Your Computer

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"jr" <jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to print (Laptop with Vista) to the Network (XP machine)

Plotter,
> I receive this message " Windows cannot connect to the printer. The

printer
> driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that

blocks
> NT 4.0 drivers". I realize this is an old plotter, however the driver
> installs and works fine in the XP enviroment. Is there any way I can

remove
> this policy?
>
> HP laptop; Vista
> Calcomp Techjet Designer 720
> XP server
>
> Thanks!

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Sharing A Plotter/Printer
Here's another:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931719/en-us
Error message when you try to connect to a shared printer in Windows Vista:
"The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer
that blocks NT 4.0 drivers"

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"jr" <jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to print (Laptop with Vista) to the Network (XP machine)

Plotter,
> I receive this message " Windows cannot connect to the printer. The

printer
> driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that

blocks
> NT 4.0 drivers". I realize this is an old plotter, however the driver
> installs and works fine in the XP enviroment. Is there any way I can

remove
> this policy?
>
> HP laptop; Vista
> Calcomp Techjet Designer 720
> XP server
>
> Thanks!

jr

Re: Sharing A Plotter/Printer
Method 1
If you are installing a Windows NT 4.0 print driver, contact your network
administrator to have the policy removed.

How????

Thanks!

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:

> See if this helps:

> Printer Driver Is Not Compatible If a Policy Is Enabled on Your Computer
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "jr" <jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to print (Laptop with Vista) to the Network (XP machine)

> Plotter,
> > I receive this message " Windows cannot connect to the printer. The

> printer
> > driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that

> blocks
> > NT 4.0 drivers". I realize this is an old plotter, however the driver
> > installs and works fine in the XP enviroment. Is there any way I can

> remove
> > this policy?
> >
> > HP laptop; Vista
> > Calcomp Techjet Designer 720
> > XP server
> >
> > Thanks!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Sharing A Plotter/Printer
Vista will not load any version 2 kernel mode drivers

Does the vendor have version 3 drivers available?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Method 1
> If you are installing a Windows NT 4.0 print driver, contact your network
> administrator to have the policy removed.
>
> How????
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:
>
>> See if this helps:

>> Printer Driver Is Not Compatible If a Policy Is Enabled on Your Computer
>>
>> Hal
>> --
>> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
>> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
>> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>>
>> "jr" <jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to print (Laptop with Vista) to the Network (XP machine)

>> Plotter,
>> > I receive this message " Windows cannot connect to the printer. The

>> printer
>> > driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that

>> blocks
>> > NT 4.0 drivers". I realize this is an old plotter, however the driver
>> > installs and works fine in the XP enviroment. Is there any way I can

>> remove
>> > this policy?
>> >
>> > HP laptop; Vista
>> > Calcomp Techjet Designer 720
>> > XP server
>> >
>> > Thanks!

jr

Re: Sharing A Plotter/Printer
No the Vendor is no longer in business. How can I get this to work? It works
great in the XP enviroment. Buying a new plotter is out of the question. I
tried to stay with XP but HP said everything that worked in XP will work in
Vista.....That's a lie!!