Problem with shared Laserjet printer

ritmeester

Problem with shared Laserjet printer
Hi! I have troubles getting my laserjet 1018 to work with my Vista Home
laptop. The printer is set up to my desktop computer wich runs Vista Ultimate
and i have shared it in the network. Everything works alright until I adds
the printer on my laptop. After that I can't print from any of the computers
and the printer que just fills up and i can't empty it. If i reinstall the
printer drivers on the desktop computer its start working there again but I
cant get it to work propely when i have installed it on the laptop. Would be
thankful for some ideas And pleas excuse me for my bad english!
Bob F.

Re: Problem with shared Laserjet printer
"ritmeester" <ritmeester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I have troubles getting my laserjet 1018 to work with my Vista Home
> laptop. The printer is set up to my desktop computer wich runs Vista
> Ultimate
> and i have shared it in the network. Everything works alright until I adds
> the printer on my laptop. After that I can't print from any of the
> computers
> and the printer que just fills up and i can't empty it. If i reinstall the
> printer drivers on the desktop computer its start working there again but
> cant get it to work propely when i have installed it on the laptop. Would
> be
> thankful for some ideas And pleas excuse me for my bad english!

Need a litle more detail. When you say "shared it in the network" what does
this mean? Printer connected directly to PC and it's "shared" or it's
conected to your LAN someplace? What OS's are we talking about?
BobF.

ritmeester

"Bob F." wrote:

> "ritmeester" <ritmeester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi! I have troubles getting my laserjet 1018 to work with my Vista Home
> > laptop. The printer is set up to my desktop computer wich runs Vista
> > Ultimate
> > and i have shared it in the network. Everything works alright until I adds
> > the printer on my laptop. After that I can't print from any of the
> > computers
> > and the printer que just fills up and i can't empty it. If i reinstall the
> > printer drivers on the desktop computer its start working there again but
> > cant get it to work propely when i have installed it on the laptop. Would
> > be
> > thankful for some ideas And pleas excuse me for my bad english!

> Need a litle more detail. When you say "shared it in the network" what does
> this mean? Printer connected directly to PC and it's "shared" or it's
> conected to your LAN someplace? What OS's are we talking about?
> BobF.

The printer is connected directly to the PC, And that computer is equiped
with Windows Vista Ultimate (32) The notebook wich im trying to connect from
is using Windows Vista Home premium.

//Johan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problem with shared Laserjet printer
Are any of the jobs scheduled to the printer (one of the jobs with an error)
or do all the jobs are just in the queue with no status?

Verify the Printer status is Ready and not Offline.

Check the Ports tab in the printer properties run printmanagement.msc on
Ultimate better printer administration than the printers folder.

If the port is set for bidirectional, uncheck this setting.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> "Bob F." wrote:
>
>> "ritmeester" <ritmeester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi! I have troubles getting my laserjet 1018 to work with my Vista Home
>> > laptop. The printer is set up to my desktop computer wich runs Vista
>> > Ultimate
>> > and i have shared it in the network. Everything works alright until I
>> > adds
>> > the printer on my laptop. After that I can't print from any of the
>> > computers
>> > and the printer que just fills up and i can't empty it. If i reinstall
>> > the
>> > printer drivers on the desktop computer its start working there again
>> > but
>> > cant get it to work propely when i have installed it on the laptop.
>> > Would
>> > be
>> > thankful for some ideas And pleas excuse me for my bad english!

>> Need a litle more detail. When you say "shared it in the network" what
>> does
>> this mean? Printer connected directly to PC and it's "shared" or it's
>> conected to your LAN someplace? What OS's are we talking about?
>> BobF.
>>

> The printer is connected directly to the PC, And that computer is equiped
> with Windows Vista Ultimate (32) The notebook wich im trying to connect
> from
> is using Windows Vista Home premium.
>
> //Johan

ritmeester

Re: Problem with shared Laserjet printer
All the scheduled jobs are queued with no status.. But I noticed that every
document in the queue are named "Remot Downlevel Document" and under "pages"
it is noticed as "missing" - for all the documents that I try to send from
the Vista Home computer. The computer is labeled as "Ready" and it doesnt
seem to be any problems with the LAN. I unchecked the bidirectional setting
for all ports.. But it doesnt seems to help.. I have also tried to install
the printer as local printer on the Vista Home Laptop but it didn't help
either.. :/

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are any of the jobs scheduled to the printer (one of the jobs with an error)
> or do all the jobs are just in the queue with no status?
>

> Verify the Printer status is Ready and not Offline.
>
> Check the Ports tab in the printer properties run printmanagement.msc on
> Ultimate better printer administration than the printers folder.
>
> If the port is set for bidirectional, uncheck this setting.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "ritmeester" <ritmeester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Bob F." wrote:
> >
> >> "ritmeester" <ritmeester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Need a litle more detail. When you say "shared it in the network" what
> >> does
> >> this mean? Printer connected directly to PC and it's "shared" or it's
> >> conected to your LAN someplace? What OS's are we talking about?
> >> BobF.
> >>

> > The printer is connected directly to the PC, And that computer is equiped
> > with Windows Vista Ultimate (32) The notebook wich im trying to connect
> > from
> > is using Windows Vista Home premium.
> >
> > //Johan

ritmeester

Re: Problem with shared Laserjet printer
Just got it working After I removed the printer and reinstalled it and
unchecked the bidirectional setting before i shared the printer it started to
work. Thanks Alan you releaved me from loads of frustation