Canoscan lide 35 not working in Vista

Squander

Canoscan lide 35 not working in Vista
My Canoscan lide 35 worked fine on my XP machine. Now attached to my vista
machine and it worked for awhile and now it is not working. I went to Canon
and downloaded a file to update the drivers. It was a .exe file that ran, I
saw a few seconds of files unzipping and the like and then it was done.
Still, does not work. I have unplugged and replugged the usb connection, the
system says it installs the drivers, still no joy. I get two error messages;
the first says "inable to communicate with scanner". When I close that
message box I get "Unable to open TWAIN source, please check connection...".
When I check the control panel, hardware. scanners and cameras, it is listed
but in Properties it reads "unavailable". Oddly, the top of the properties
box lists it as "canoscan LIDE 35 #2 Properties" (note the #2...?). When I
look under Device Manager, Imaging Devices it lists the Canoscan Lide35, and
the properties list it without the #2, and says "this device is working
properly". I tried to uninstall it, but the program still shows in the
"Uninstall Hardware" tool but cannot be uninstalled?! With the "...#2"
thing, I wonder if there is a conflict? Oh, I rebooted numerous times as I
tried the various functions...

So I tried everything I could think of and it still will not work. This is
a Dell inspiron 530 blah blah blah...

What's next? After I get this working we can tackle the conflict with the
Canon printer...
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Canoscan lide 35 not working in Vista
At the Canon website you should find the uninstall utility.

Disconnect the scanner and then run the uninstall utility. Once it tells
everything is uninstalled, then you can reinstall the software. You have
now got two Canon scanner software packages on your PC (hence the #2)
because the old one was not uninstalled. You need to make sure you've got
rid of BOTH, before you install it again.

Now, what's the problem with the printer?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Squander" <Squander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Canoscan lide 35 worked fine on my XP machine. Now attached to my
> vista
> machine and it worked for awhile and now it is not working. I went to
> Canon
> and downloaded a file to update the drivers. It was a .exe file that ran,
> saw a few seconds of files unzipping and the like and then it was done.
> Still, does not work. I have unplugged and replugged the usb connection,
> the
> system says it installs the drivers, still no joy. I get two error
> messages;
> the first says "inable to communicate with scanner". When I close that
> message box I get "Unable to open TWAIN source, please check
> connection...".
> When I check the control panel, hardware. scanners and cameras, it is
> listed
> but in Properties it reads "unavailable". Oddly, the top of the
> properties
> box lists it as "canoscan LIDE 35 #2 Properties" (note the #2...?). When
> look under Device Manager, Imaging Devices it lists the Canoscan Lide35,
> and
> the properties list it without the #2, and says "this device is working
> properly". I tried to uninstall it, but the program still shows in the
> "Uninstall Hardware" tool but cannot be uninstalled?! With the "...#2"
> thing, I wonder if there is a conflict? Oh, I rebooted numerous times as
> tried the various functions...
>
> So I tried everything I could think of and it still will not work. This
> is
> a Dell inspiron 530 blah blah blah...
>
> What's next? After I get this working we can tackle the conflict with the
> Canon printer...

Squander

Re: Canoscan lide 35 not working in Vista
Thanks Cari! I did run that utility, but I did not know what it was doing or
why. I'll run it again as you recommended, but let me ask this- after I
uninstall, what order do I reinstall things? Do I run the driver file ting
again, and the Canoscan Toolbox file I got from the site as well? When do I
plug in the scanner in the midst of this? Again, many thanks!

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> At the Canon website you should find the uninstall utility.
>
> Disconnect the scanner and then run the uninstall utility. Once it tells
> everything is uninstalled, then you can reinstall the software. You have
> now got two Canon scanner software packages on your PC (hence the #2)
> because the old one was not uninstalled. You need to make sure you've got
> rid of BOTH, before you install it again.
>
> Now, what's the problem with the printer?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Squander" <Squander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Canoscan lide 35 worked fine on my XP machine. Now attached to my
> > vista
> > machine and it worked for awhile and now it is not working. I went to
> > Canon
> > and downloaded a file to update the drivers. It was a .exe file that ran,
> > saw a few seconds of files unzipping and the like and then it was done.
> > Still, does not work. I have unplugged and replugged the usb connection,
> > the
> > system says it installs the drivers, still no joy. I get two error
> > messages;
> > the first says "inable to communicate with scanner". When I close that
> > message box I get "Unable to open TWAIN source, please check
> > connection...".
> > When I check the control panel, hardware. scanners and cameras, it is
> > listed
> > but in Properties it reads "unavailable". Oddly, the top of the
> > properties
> > box lists it as "canoscan LIDE 35 #2 Properties" (note the #2...?). When
> > look under Device Manager, Imaging Devices it lists the Canoscan Lide35,
> > and
> > the properties list it without the #2, and says "this device is working
> > properly". I tried to uninstall it, but the program still shows in the
> > "Uninstall Hardware" tool but cannot be uninstalled?! With the "...#2"
> > thing, I wonder if there is a conflict? Oh, I rebooted numerous times as
> > tried the various functions...
> >
> > So I tried everything I could think of and it still will not work. This
> > is
> > a Dell inspiron 530 blah blah blah...
> >
> > What's next? After I get this working we can tackle the conflict with the
> > Canon printer...

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Canoscan lide 35 not working in Vista
Run the driver package and it should tell you when to connect the scanner,
then the ScanGear Toolbox after it's all installed.
--

> [...]
>> > box lists it as "canoscan LIDE 35 #2 Properties" (note the #2...?).
>> > When
>> > look under Device Manager, Imaging Devices it lists the Canoscan
>> > Lide35,
>> > and
>> > the properties list it without the #2, and says "this device is working
>> > properly". I tried to uninstall it, but the program still shows in the
>> > "Uninstall Hardware" tool but cannot be uninstalled?! With the "...#2"
>> > thing, I wonder if there is a conflict? Oh, I rebooted numerous times
>> > as
>> > tried the various functions...
>> >
>> > So I tried everything I could think of and it still will not work.
>> > This
>> > is
>> > a Dell inspiron 530 blah blah blah...
>> >
>> > What's next? After I get this working we can tackle the conflict with

VanDelayyyy

Re: Canoscan lide 35 not working in Vista

I followed the Very Simple solution to the "Unable to open TWAIN source"
problem at:

http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/...?threadid=7337

It worked for me without any reinstalls.

--
VanDelayyyy
VanDelayyyy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/vandelayyyy.htm

http://forums.techarena.in