Printer recommendation?

M. Brane

Printer recommendation?
Hi. Can anybody recommend a duplex-printing color inkjet printer that
comes with working drivers for XP-64 & Vista-64? Drivers out of beta
would be even better
norvik1943

Re: Printer recommendation?

Depending on what you mean by duplex (two-sided or bi-directional print
head movement)?, have you looked at the Epson printer line.

I'm a real fan of their printers, have been using them since mid-80's
(1984) when I bought one of their monochrome laser printers. I finally
put it out to pasture last year (2007) when the fuser wire went out.
Then I went to color inkjets starting with the ESC/2 model, upgrading
models as I went along. I currently have a R260 with uses Claria ink
for brilliant color photo prints. They come out better than the store
processed prints of the same digital photo file. Print quality is
guaranteed for at least 100 years so I'll have to leave instructions in
my will for descendents to contact Epson should the ink fade after I'm
gone.

I just checked Epson's support page for the R280, one of the the
current and very reasonable priced offerings(abt $100 or less), and they
have the drivers for Vista 64-bit ready for download in case they don't
come with the printer.

I do a lot of color photo printing as photography is my hobby so I use
my Epson mostly for photos. For B/W, I print to my home networked
monochrome laser (Brother HL-2040 which also has Vista drivers
available) which is much cheaper to operate for text and monochrome
photo/graphics printing.

I also had an Epson Printmate Deluxe for photos that is real convenient
as it supports an optional battery pack which gives me portability as
well. The photos really "pop" with color. It only prints 4X6 using
Epson Printmate Paper/Ink packs. I wouldn't recommend using any other
manufacturer's paper to save money as print quality suffers.

To check on drivers for any printer you might be looking at, just go to
the manufacturer's web page, look up drivers and downloads, to check if
they have a released Vista 64-bit driver. Most do by now I'm sure.

--
norvik1943
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printer recommendation?
Any of the Pixma ip Canon range.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"M. Brane" <11D.Universe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Can anybody recommend a duplex-printing color inkjet printer that
> comes with working drivers for XP-64 & Vista-64? Drivers out of beta
> would be even better

norvik1943

Re: Printer recommendation?

Hi,

I just checked Canon's website for Vista-64 drivers for the printer
family you mentioned. I found driver and software updates for Vista-64
listed for a couple models I checked on a very long list.

To check yourself for a specific model try:

'Canon Global' (http://www.canon.com), then Americas, US, Support,
printers, pick your series and you'll see a long list of Vista supported
printer models. Select yours or one you are interested in to check if a
driver is currently available for Vista-64. I suspect it is.

I also like Canon printers. It's just that I got started with Epson
and have remained loyal.

Canon developed inkjet printer technology back in the very early '80s
(1983 if I remember correctly.) While working for a computer peripheral
manufacturing company, I took an article to work from a Popular Science
issue describing Canon's "invention" of an inkjet printhead using
"oilcan" technology. Electrical current applied to the back of the
"oilcan" caused it to "poink" which squirted the ink out on the paper.

I shared the article with the Director of Service Support, he
apparently sent it to our engineering group and it wasn't long before
our company was selling the Canon printer under our company brand name.
It was quite popular with our corporate clients as it offered letter
quality print capability when dot-matrix printers were not and laser
printers were still "very" expensive.

--
norvik1943