Can't network Canon Mx700 on Vista 64

javamahnn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't network Canon Mx700 on Vista 64
(Running a home built, Vista 64 home premium machine)

I am trying to network the Canon mx700 all in one printer for my families various computers to access. The printer installs on USB ( at least it printed, didn't check scan functionality) but when I go through the process of adding to network, i loose print functionality and the hard drive goes nuts.

Steps i've gone through

I initially tried installing through the setup disk , which didn't work so..
Uninstalled all Canon software
deleted the obvious registry entries based upon printer or canon in the name
deleted the printer

Downloaded all new drivers and software from Canon for Vista 64

Unplugged USB and network cable from printer
Installed new 64bit driver from download
followed prompts and printer works for printing
Installed various canon software from download (for vista 64)
connected printer to network

(( my computer and the printer are hard wired into my DSL router ))

Tried to install IJ network driver, recieved error on can't create port

Read various posts here on creating port and tried to create port:
\\[computer name]\[printer name] e.g. \\steve-pc\CanonMx700

Received error can't find network device

Went into router and found printer with IP xxx.xxx.xxx.123, i went into detail and named the printer in the router to 'CanonMx700'.

Tried the port creation again and no luck
Could ping the xxx.xxx.xxx.123 printer
could not [start][run] \\steve-pc\CanonMx700
Gave time for name to propigate ??

Eventuall could create port with name \\steve-pc\CanonMx700
created as local port with name \\[computer-name]\[printer name]
COULD from [start][run] \\steve-pc\CanonMx700 get to the current print spool jobs

Can still not install ij network driver
can not print

Did right click on printer, run as administrator, properties
look at the ports and it is checked to use the \\xxx\xx port i created

When i send a job to the printer, i see TWO jobs spooled, one is about the correct size and one is about 60 bytes that comes and goes. Nothing ever prints and the hard disk has extreme activity

Am i getting close ? any ideas out there.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't network Canon Mx700 on Vista 64
Once you have it correctly installed on thee 64 bit Vista PC.... go into the
Properties of the Printer... in the Advanced tab, ADD the drivers for x86
(32 bit). Then make sure it's shared.

Then go to the other 32 bit PCs and add it as you would normally.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"javamahnn" <javamahnn.34oq07@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> (Running a home built, Vista 64 home premium machine)
>

> I am trying to network the Canon mx700 all in one printer for my
> families various computers to access. The printer installs on USB ( at
> least it printed, didn't check scan functionality) but when I go through
> the process of adding to network, i loose print functionality and the
> hard drive goes nuts.
>
> Steps i've gone through
>

> I initially tried installing through the setup disk , which didn't work
> so..
> Uninstalled all Canon software
> deleted the obvious registry entries based upon printer or canon in the
> name
> deleted the printer
>
> Downloaded all new drivers and software from Canon for Vista 64
>
> Unplugged USB and network cable from printer
> Installed new 64bit driver from download
> followed prompts and printer works for printing
> Installed various canon software from download (for vista 64)
> connected printer to network
>
> (( my computer and the printer are hard wired into my DSL router ))
>
> Tried to install IJ network driver, recieved error on can't create port
>

> Read various posts here on creating port and tried to create port:
> \\[computer name]\[printer name] e.g. \\steve-pc\CanonMx700
>
> Received error can't find network device
>
> Went into router and found printer with IP xxx.xxx.xxx.123, i went into
> detail and named the printer in the router to 'CanonMx700'.
>
> Tried the port creation again and no luck
> Could ping the xxx.xxx.xxx.123 printer
> could not [start][run] \\steve-pc\CanonMx700
> Gave time for name to propigate ??
>
> Eventuall could create port with name \\steve-pc\CanonMx700
> created as local port with name \\[computer-name]\[printer name]
> COULD from [start][run] \\steve-pc\CanonMx700 get to the current print
> spool jobs
>
> Can still not install ij network driver
> can not print
>
> Did right click on printer, run as administrator, properties
> look at the ports and it is checked to use the \\xxx\xx port i
> created
>

> When i send a job to the printer, i see TWO jobs spooled, one is about
> the correct size and one is about 60 bytes that comes and goes.
> Nothing ever prints and the hard disk has extreme activity
>

> Am i getting close ? any ideas out there.
>

> --
> javamahnn

TBigG

Re: Can't network Canon Mx700 on Vista 64

I have the same problem. This is a multi-function printer with a
built-in wired ethernet port in addition to the standard USB port. I
can get it to work completely (i.e. print, scan, fax) from a directly
connected computer via the USB, but cannot establish any connectivity
via the ethernet port.

The solution offered by Cari is not exactly what javamahnn was asking
for: it will only allow the printer to be shared through the directly
connected USB port, but it does not permit the scaner or fax features to
be used by any other networked computers.

I have tried running the latest Canon IJ Network Driver Ver. 2.5.0 as
Administrator, but it causes spoolsv.exe to crash (APPCRASH).

--
TBigG
mgk007

Re: Can't network Canon Mx700 on Vista 64

This one was driving me crazy! I had all the problems mention above but
finally got it to work.
Once you have it installed and working on the USB port go to the
properties page of the printer.
1) Select the "Ports" tab.
2) Select "Add Port".
3) Select "Canon BJNP Port".
4) Select "New Port".
5) Fill in the IP Address of your printer and select "Next".

Make sure that the Port is checked back in the properties page and
select "Apply" and your done. Do a test print and your printer should
work on your network. You may still need to fix the settings on your
firewall or router to allow access if it does not print.

--
mgk007