Why can't I get HP Image Zone to work with Vista?

mei

Why can't I get HP Image Zone to work with Vista?
I have a new laptop with Vista and I want to use the same HP Image Zone that
I had on my old computer. My printer is an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One and
the scanning feature is very important to me. I have the program software
that came with the printer, but my computer will not allow it to be
installed. I need some sort of "key" passwords. If I can't use my
ImageZone, what scanning program can I use that is like it and works with
Vista? Thanks.
--
MEI4
Malke

Re: Why can't I get HP Image Zone to work with Vista?
mei wrote:

> I have a new laptop with Vista and I want to use the same HP Image Zone
> that
> I had on my old computer. My printer is an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One
> and
> the scanning feature is very important to me. I have the program software
> that came with the printer, but my computer will not allow it to be
> installed. I need some sort of "key" passwords. If I can't use my
> ImageZone, what scanning program can I use that is like it and works with
> Vista? Thanks.

Your old printer/scanner software was written for a different operating
system. You need to go to HP's tech support website for your specific model
printer and download the drivers and other software from there.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
huwyngr

In article <76A52061-3E69-4B7D-A47A-293A6A5C969D@microsoft.com>, Mei wrote:

> I want to use the same HP Image Zone that*
> I had on my old computer. *My printer is an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One and*
> the scanning feature is very important to me. *I have the program software*
> that came with the printer, but my computer will not allow it to be*
> installed

Is the "software that came with the printer" the VISTA specific items that are
downloadable from:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...s&dlc=en&produ
ct=439488&lang=en

If not then download the various files on that page including the fixes and
utilities and install them but only do this after you have unplugged the USB
cable for the AIO printer from the PC end, deleted any icons in Control Panel /
Printers and in Control Panel / Fax & Scan, Uninstalled any HP software relating
to the AIO from Control Panel / Remove Programs and rebooted the computer.

Do not plug that USB cable into the PC until installation tells you to or until
you reach Finish.

After installing and checking that the AIO works check to see if you have Image
Zone installed as part of the package or not. If it is installed it should be
OK; if it is not installed then I suspect there is no VISTA version so try
installing the version you have for XP as follows.

Unplug the printer USB cable from the PC

Check Control Panel / Remove Programs to see that there is no version of Image
Zone there. If there is uninstall it and reboot the PC.

Locate the Image Zone file on your computer hard drive (or the CD that came with
the AIO) and right mouse click on the file that starts the installation. Click
on Properties / Compatibility TAB and check the box along side Compatibility
Mode and select XP with SP1 then move down the TAB and check Run as
Administrator and OK your way out.

If installation of Image Zone does not start on its own, then find that same
file again, right mouse click on it again and select Run as Administrator in the
Context Menu that appears.

I'm not in XP at the moment but I will be later and I'll check to see if I have
Image Zone there and if so what version it is -- on XP it is ver 5.0 but I think
there is a 5.1

I'll post another message later about my VISTA installation.

BTW What version of VISTA do you have? The Home Editions do not come with
Microsoft's Fax & Scan Utility so you will be dependent on a third party
solution which may be in your HP Software.

huwyngr

wrote:

> I want to use the same HP Image Zone that*
> I had on my old computer.

I can't be certain for your HP AIO Printer but for my HP Photosmart
8250 the software installed in VISTA does not include Image Zone and
I've a vague idea they expect you to use Microsoft Photo Gallery.

So if you are adamant I suggest you try the XP Compatible Mode
installation I suggested using the XP software CD you have to get the
Image Zone Software that may be in a folder of its own.

But I'm not optimistic since this HP document says it checks your
system for compatibility including whether you are running XP .....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?
docname=c00481875&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=50184 3&lang=en