Win Fax and Scan Set up

BillG

Win Fax and Scan Set up
I have the vista premium and I'm trying to set up the win fax for cable,
through comcast in spokane wa. I have three fax pending and not sent. It says
that I have to set it up on the server. I have no clue about setting it up,
and I am the system admin on my personal computer. The other issue is the
dialing rules do not work. I do not want the win fax to dial +1 for a local
number.
--
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Bob F.

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
"BillG" <aerospaceman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have the vista premium and I'm trying to set up the win fax for cable,
> through comcast in spokane wa. I have three fax pending and not sent. It
> says
> that I have to set it up on the server. I have no clue about setting it
> up,
> and I am the system admin on my personal computer. The other issue is the
> dialing rules do not work. I do not want the win fax to dial +1 for a
> local
> number.
> --
> Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Looks like two things are confused here. If you are suing WinFax for cable,
I assume you are trying to get to a network FAX server someplace. You will
need to identify one, get an account and configure WinFax accordingly. If
you are having a +1 problem, this is a dial-up issue, inconsistent with your
cable and network provider situation. In this case you are trying to use a
direct dial connect to another FAX machine. In this case you need to locate
your dialing properties and find boxes that show the exceptions on when not
to use the +1.
Bob F.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
Why would you try to use a fax program over cable? Fax uses analog phone
lines. Always has. Always will. Clarify what you are trying to do.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> Why would you try to use a fax program over cable? Fax uses analog phone
> lines. Always has. Always will. Clarify what you are trying to do.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BillG" <aerospaceman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have the vista premium and I'm trying to set up the win fax for cable,
>> through comcast in spokane wa. I have three fax pending and not sent. It
>> says
>> that I have to set it up on the server. I have no clue about setting it
>> up,
>> and I am the system admin on my personal computer. The other issue is the
>> dialing rules do not work. I do not want the win fax to dial +1 for a
>> local
>> number.
>> --
>> Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

There are many network providers that now offer FAX service via internet.
You send the file to them and they do the final step, make the local phone
call and deliver the FAX. All automated of course. Particularly popular
for international calls. Doesn't tie up your phone line and you are off a
lot faster. "Used to always be, now it's not" Time marches on. ;-)
Bob F.

Tom Lake

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up

> Why would you try to use a fax program over cable? Fax uses analog phone
> lines. Always has. Always will. Clarify what you are trying to do.

There are FAX servers you can subscribe to that use the Internet to receive
the
FAX to be sent and then make the actual phone call to a FAX machine for you.

Tom Lake

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
All of which has nothing to do with Windows Fax and Scan, of course.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Why would you try to use a fax program over cable? Fax uses analog phone
>> lines. Always has. Always will. Clarify what you are trying to do.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "BillG" <aerospaceman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the vista premium and I'm trying to set up the win fax for cable,
>>> through comcast in spokane wa. I have three fax pending and not sent. It
>>> says
>>> that I have to set it up on the server. I have no clue about setting it
>>> up,
>>> and I am the system admin on my personal computer. The other issue is
>>> the
>>> dialing rules do not work. I do not want the win fax to dial +1 for a
>>> local
>>> number.
>>> --
>>> Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

> There are many network providers that now offer FAX service via internet.
> You send the file to them and they do the final step, make the local phone
> call and deliver the FAX. All automated of course. Particularly popular
> for international calls. Doesn't tie up your phone line and you are off a
> lot faster. "Used to always be, now it's not" Time marches on. ;-)
> Bob F.

Bob F.

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
> All of which has nothing to do with Windows Fax and Scan, of course.

Directly on topic for ...vista.print_fax_scan.
Bob F.

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Why would you try to use a fax program over cable? Fax uses analog phone
>>> lines. Always has. Always will. Clarify what you are trying to do.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "BillG" <aerospaceman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>> There are many network providers that now offer FAX service via internet.
>> You send the file to them and they do the final step, make the local
>> phone call and deliver the FAX. All automated of course. Particularly
>> popular for international calls. Doesn't tie up your phone line and you
>> are off a lot faster. "Used to always be, now it's not" Time marches
>> on. ;-)
>> Bob F.

Peter

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> All of which has nothing to do with Windows Fax and Scan, of course.

> Directly on topic for ...vista.print_fax_scan.
> Bob F.
>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> There are many network providers that now offer FAX service via
>>> internet. You send the file to them and they do the final step, make the
>>> local phone call and deliver the FAX. All automated of course.
>>> Particularly popular for international calls. Doesn't tie up your phone
>>> line and you are off a lot faster. "Used to always be, now it's not"
>>> Time marches on. ;-)
>>> Bob F.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Vista's Fax and Scan which only works over
an analogue phone line.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
Not in the least. OP was asking about Windows Fax and Scan, which like all
fax software can only work over analog phone lines. Internet Fax services
are not in play here and it is misleading and confusing to suggest that they
are. Please pay attention to the topic when you reply.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> All of which has nothing to do with Windows Fax and Scan, of course.

> Directly on topic for ...vista.print_fax_scan.
> Bob F.
>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> There are many network providers that now offer FAX service via
>>> internet. You send the file to them and they do the final step, make the
>>> local phone call and deliver the FAX. All automated of course.
>>> Particularly popular for international calls. Doesn't tie up your phone
>>> line and you are off a lot faster. "Used to always be, now it's not"
>>> Time marches on. ;-)
>>> Bob F.

Bob F.

Re: Win Fax and Scan Set up
"Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> All of which has nothing to do with Windows Fax and Scan, of course.

>> Directly on topic for ...vista.print_fax_scan.
>> Bob F.
>>
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message

> Has absolutely nothing to do with Vista's Fax and Scan which only works
> over an analogue phone line.
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2/SP3 Beta/Vista Ultimate SP1 Beta
> Triple Boot

Found On the MS Windows and Fax How-to sight:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...21033.mspx#EQC

To send and receive faxes using a server
Before you begin, make sure that your computer is connected to the network.
Also, make sure that you know the network address of the fax server (for
example, \\mycompanyfaxserver) and that you have permission to connect to
it. To obtain permission or to obtain the fax server address, contact a
system administrator.

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Fax
and Scan.
2. To use Fax view, at the bottom of the left pane, click Fax.
3. Click Tools, and then click Fax Accounts.
4. Click Add, and then, in the Fax Setup Wizard, click Connect to a fax
server on my network and follow the instructions for connecting to a fax
server.

Bob F.