Local service for printer buffer is not running

fubbick74

Local service for printer buffer is not running
I try to add a printer to my computer. The printer is connected via USB to
another computer. I find the printer but when I try to add it, I get an error
message. Translated from swedish: The local service for the print buffer
isn't running. Restart buffer or computer.

This computer has vista and I have no clue what it means. Is a service
needed in the other PC, that has the printer connected via USB? The other
computer is XP SP2. Is that a problem?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Local service for printer buffer is not running
The print spooler service is failing on the Vista machine

If the printer is sharing an HP LaserJet pick up the latest driver. If the
XP machine is sharing a driver that is not compatible with Vista, you will
need to get a Vista compatible driver and add the printer as a Local printer
on Vista creating a Local Port named \\XPmachine\printershare and use have
disk to install the driver.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"fubbick74" <fubbick74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I try to add a printer to my computer. The printer is connected via USB to
> another computer. I find the printer but when I try to add it, I get an
> error
> message. Translated from swedish: The local service for the print buffer
> isn't running. Restart buffer or computer.
>
> This computer has vista and I have no clue what it means. Is a service
> needed in the other PC, that has the printer connected via USB? The other
> computer is XP SP2. Is that a problem?

hammerhead

RE: Local service for printer buffer is not running
I have the exact same problem, but I try to connect the printer without going
via another computer.

The printer is a Dell A940 and it worked perfectly with my old computer with
XP. Before I connected the the printer I downloaded and installed the latest
drivers/application/firmware from Dells homepage. (yes, I have installed the
32-bit version).

The system gives me the following message (a translation of the swedish
message): "Can't open Add printer. The local service for print spooler
doesn't run. Restart the spooler or the computer."

How can I restart the spooler?