Slow Access to Shared Printers

goblue

Slow Access to Shared Printers
I recently Purchased two new Dell XPS 420 PCs with Vista home premium. They
are hard wired networked through a Linksys Router/Wireless access point. I
have three printers connected to one PC and have shared them through that PC.
When I first setup the second PC, I was able to install the shared printers
just fine. They also worked normally (reasonably fast access). After
installing a few updates, the access to the printers has become like
incredibly slow. When I try to print accross the networks for any Office
2003 app, Explorer, PDF etc. it takes 20-30 seconds for the print options
screen to come up and then 20-30 seconds to have the documents sent.
Printing from the PCs with the printers installed locally works fine. I have
tried uninstalling the printers and reinstalling, running Dell Support Center
scans and everything seems normal. My internet access accross the network is
fine. ANy suggestions?
CharlieA

RE: Slow Access to Shared Printers

"goblue" wrote:

> I recently Purchased two new Dell XPS 420 PCs with Vista home premium. They
> are hard wired networked through a Linksys Router/Wireless access point. I
> have three printers connected to one PC and have shared them through that PC.
> When I first setup the second PC, I was able to install the shared printers
> just fine. They also worked normally (reasonably fast access). After
> installing a few updates, the access to the printers has become like
> incredibly slow. When I try to print accross the networks for any Office
> 2003 app, Explorer, PDF etc. it takes 20-30 seconds for the print options
> screen to come up and then 20-30 seconds to have the documents sent.
> Printing from the PCs with the printers installed locally works fine. I have
> tried uninstalling the printers and reinstalling, running Dell Support Center
> scans and everything seems normal. My internet access accross the network is
> fine. ANy suggestions?

CharlieA

RE: Slow Access to Shared Printers
I have almost the same setup, and definately the same problem. I have an XP
machine with an HP printer attached that is shared. Vista machine takes
45-60 seconds for Word to come up (status line message in Word is "Connecting
to Printer Press ESC to cancel"). Then when I actually print to the default
printer (the HP on the XP machine) - hard networked, not wireless), it takes
another 45-60 seconds to start printing. What gives?