printing to HP laserjet 1012 on home network

Cpt Falcon

printing to HP laserjet 1012 on home network
,,I have a new laptop with Windows Vista Business. I connect wirelessly to my
desktop which has Windows XP Media addition. the desktop is connected to two
printers via usb. I can print to an HP photo printer through the network but
not the HP laserjet 1012. HP doesn't list this printer as being Vista
supported Yet..(if ever) however if I connect the lap top directly to the
printer via usb, Vista finds a driver and will print while it is connected
directly. I have tried other HP drivers which HP lists as Vista ready and
they will print when connected directly but not over the network. I get
spooler error messages ie spooler not running etc. Or sometimes just failed
to print messages. I have also used Vista's add printer in control panel. it
finds the hp1012 but fails to install it.
the laserjet is listed as shared on the desktop etc.

I have another laptop which connects over this network and will print to
this printer. this laptop is using XP.

Ideas??

thanks
--
cptfalcon
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printing to HP laserjet 1012 on home network
Somewhere in there you have a corrupted printer driver for the 1012.
However which PC it is on, is not discernable from here!
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Cpt Falcon" <CptFalcon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ,,I have a new laptop with Windows Vista Business. I connect wirelessly to
> my
> desktop which has Windows XP Media addition. the desktop is connected to
> two
> printers via usb. I can print to an HP photo printer through the network
> but
> not the HP laserjet 1012. HP doesn't list this printer as being Vista
> supported Yet..(if ever) however if I connect the lap top directly to the
> printer via usb, Vista finds a driver and will print while it is connected
> directly. I have tried other HP drivers which HP lists as Vista ready and
> they will print when connected directly but not over the network. I get
> spooler error messages ie spooler not running etc. Or sometimes just
> failed
> to print messages. I have also used Vista's add printer in control panel.
> it
> finds the hp1012 but fails to install it.
> the laserjet is listed as shared on the desktop etc.
>
> I have another laptop which connects over this network and will print to
> this printer. this laptop is using XP.
>
> Ideas??
>
> thanks
> --
> cptfalcon

Cpt Falcon

Re: printing to HP laserjet 1012 on home network
so what would be the starting point to fix? and further what driver would you
reccomend? i have already tried several on the laptop. in addition the xp
laptop is able to operate all the printer functions.

--
cptfalcon

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Somewhere in there you have a corrupted printer driver for the 1012.
> However which PC it is on, is not discernable from here!
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Cpt Falcon" <CptFalcon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ,,I have a new laptop with Windows Vista Business. I connect wirelessly to
> > my
> > desktop which has Windows XP Media addition. the desktop is connected to
> > two
> > printers via usb. I can print to an HP photo printer through the network
> > but
> > not the HP laserjet 1012. HP doesn't list this printer as being Vista
> > supported Yet..(if ever) however if I connect the lap top directly to the
> > printer via usb, Vista finds a driver and will print while it is connected
> > directly. I have tried other HP drivers which HP lists as Vista ready and
> > they will print when connected directly but not over the network. I get
> > spooler error messages ie spooler not running etc. Or sometimes just
> > failed
> > to print messages. I have also used Vista's add printer in control panel.
> > it
> > finds the hp1012 but fails to install it.
> > the laserjet is listed as shared on the desktop etc.
> >
> > I have another laptop which connects over this network and will print to
> > this printer. this laptop is using XP.
> >
> > Ideas??
> >
> > thanks
> > --
> > cptfalcon

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: printing to HP laserjet 1012 on home network
I'd say that the driver that the XP machine is using is the not the same
name as the driver that is installed on the Vista machine. You will not be
able to connect to the printer over RPC (Remote Procedure Calls) but you can
connect using SMB (Server Messaging Blocks).

Create a local printer on the Vista machine that uses a Local Port in the
form \\XPMachine\Printshare. Use the driver that was installed when you
plugged the device directly to the USB port.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team