Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Puppy Breath

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Gotcha. The one in Office 2007 is Office Picture Manager or something.

If you go with Corel PSP 11 make sure you get the latest download. It has
fixes to make it run in Vista. Otherwise if can be bumpy.

> Dennis wrote:
>> Yep...it's Photo Editor (it's available from the 'default programs'
>> area - I didn't think too much of the Photo Gallery option either <g> -
>> guess I'll just use a 3rd party product (Corel).

> Photo Editor is part of MS Office. If you installed Office, you didn't do
> a custom install and therefore allowed Photo Editor (and I agree with you
> that it sucks) to be installed. You can remove Photo Editor by going to
> the Programs part of Control Panel and Change Microsoft Office. If you
> don't like Photo Gallery (which is native to Vista) then certainly you can
> use a third-party program. Irfanview is free, fast, very excellent, and
> works in Vista.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Puppy Breath

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
I meant "gotcha" in the sense of "now I understand", not in the sense of "I
beat you". I couldn't understand why his was defaulting to Photo Editor and
I didn't even have a Photo Editor option to choose from.

> Puppy Breath wrote:
>> Gotcha. The one in Office 2007 is Office Picture Manager or something.
>>
>> If you go with Corel PSP 11 make sure you get the latest download. It has
>> fixes to make it run in Vista. Otherwise if can be bumpy.

> That's as may be, but the OP has not mentioned whether or not he has
> Office - or I have missed that - and the Photo Editor is in older versions
> of MS Office as I said. This is a common problem with older versions of MS
> Office as the Photo Editor takes over and it isn't very good. I wouldn't
> know about Office 2007; although I have installed it, I haven't really
> used it. Again, we don't know if the OP even has Office or if he does what
> version; I just suggested this might be the reason.
>
> I wasn't aware we were in a "gotcha" contest. I know that *I'm* not as
> that isn't the way I approach helping in the MS newsgroups.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
I really dislike the Microsoft Photo Editor in Vista. What happened to the
Picture and Fax Viewer that was in XP? Is it possible to run the Picture and
Fax Viewer in Vista? I have searched for the .exe for this in XP but am
unable to find it - anyone know where it is?

Thanks
=?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
I have nothing against new OS's, etc - but newer is NOT always better. The
Windows Picture & Fax Viewer was simply a better interface to viewing and
printing one's photos than the Photo Editor - they should have done away with
the latter and enhanced/improved the former and kept it. Just my 2 cents <g>

"MeNoKnow" wrote:

> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is a goner. I don't think there's an
> installation program for it, so I don't see how you could bring it into
> Vista. Besides, take it from a guy who has been beta testing OS's since the
> DOS era. The less "old stuff" you throw at a new OS, the better. Especially
> on a major revamp like this, which only comes along every 10 or 15 years.
>

> "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC0A5D19-E27F-4FC1-B5EE-D41C5A4FE6AF@microsoft.com...
> >I really dislike the Microsoft Photo Editor in Vista. What happened to the
> > Picture and Fax Viewer that was in XP? Is it possible to run the Picture
> > and
> > Fax Viewer in Vista? I have searched for the .exe for this in XP but am
> > unable to find it - anyone know where it is?
> >
> > Thanks

MeNotKnow

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
I just noticed that when I double-click a JPEG it opens in a Photo Gallery
thing. Is that what you meant, or are yours actually opening in a thing
called Photo Editor? I don't even see Photo Editor as an option in Open
With.

>I have nothing against new OS's, etc - but newer is NOT always better. The
> Windows Picture & Fax Viewer was simply a better interface to viewing and
> printing one's photos than the Photo Editor - they should have done away
> with
> the latter and enhanced/improved the former and kept it. Just my 2 cents
> <g>
>
> "MeNoKnow" wrote:
>
>> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is a goner. I don't think there's an
>> installation program for it, so I don't see how you could bring it into
>> Vista. Besides, take it from a guy who has been beta testing OS's since
>> the
>> DOS era. The less "old stuff" you throw at a new OS, the better.
>> Especially
>> on a major revamp like this, which only comes along every 10 or 15 years.
>>

>> "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsC0A5D19-E27F-4FC1-B5EE-D41C5A4FE6AF@microsoft.com...
>> >I really dislike the Microsoft Photo Editor in Vista. What happened to
>> >the
>> > Picture and Fax Viewer that was in XP? Is it possible to run the
>> > Picture
>> > and
>> > Fax Viewer in Vista? I have searched for the .exe for this in XP but
>> > am
>> > unable to find it - anyone know where it is?
>> >
>> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=

"MeNotKnow" wrote:

> I just noticed that when I double-click a JPEG it opens in a Photo Gallery
> thing. Is that what you meant, or are yours actually opening in a thing
> called Photo Editor? I don't even see Photo Editor as an option in Open
> With.
>

> "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have nothing against new OS's, etc - but newer is NOT always better. The
> > Windows Picture & Fax Viewer was simply a better interface to viewing and
> > printing one's photos than the Photo Editor - they should have done away
> > with
> > the latter and enhanced/improved the former and kept it. Just my 2 cents
> > <g>
> >
> > "MeNoKnow" wrote:
> >
> >> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is a goner. I don't think there's an
> >> installation program for it, so I don't see how you could bring it into
> >> Vista. Besides, take it from a guy who has been beta testing OS's since
> >> the
> >> DOS era. The less "old stuff" you throw at a new OS, the better.
> >> Especially
> >> on a major revamp like this, which only comes along every 10 or 15 years.
> >>

> >> "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsC0A5D19-E27F-4FC1-B5EE-D41C5A4FE6AF@microsoft.com...

Malke

Puppy Breath wrote:
> Gotcha. The one in Office 2007 is Office Picture Manager or something.
>
> If you go with Corel PSP 11 make sure you get the latest download. It
> has fixes to make it run in Vista. Otherwise if can be bumpy.

That's as may be, but the OP has not mentioned whether or not he has
Office - or I have missed that - and the Photo Editor is in older
versions of MS Office as I said. This is a common problem with older
versions of MS Office as the Photo Editor takes over and it isn't very
good. I wouldn't know about Office 2007; although I have installed it, I
haven't really used it. Again, we don't know if the OP even has Office
or if he does what version; I just suggested this might be the reason.

I wasn't aware we were in a "gotcha" contest. I know that *I'm* not as
that isn't the way I approach helping in the MS newsgroups.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
MeNoKnow

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is a goner. I don't think there's an
installation program for it, so I don't see how you could bring it into
Vista. Besides, take it from a guy who has been beta testing OS's since the
DOS era. The less "old stuff" you throw at a new OS, the better. Especially
on a major revamp like this, which only comes along every 10 or 15 years.

"Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC0A5D19-E27F-4FC1-B5EE-D41C5A4FE6AF@microsoft.com...
>I really dislike the Microsoft Photo Editor in Vista. What happened to the
> Picture and Fax Viewer that was in XP? Is it possible to run the Picture
> and
> Fax Viewer in Vista? I have searched for the .exe for this in XP but am
> unable to find it - anyone know where it is?
>
> Thanks

HEMI-Powered

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Today, =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?= made these interesting comments ...

> I have nothing against new OS's, etc - but newer is NOT always
> better. The Windows Picture & Fax Viewer was simply a better
> interface to viewing and printing one's photos than the Photo
> Editor - they should have done away with the latter and
> enhanced/improved the former and kept it. Just my 2 cents <g>

'tis said that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I
personally turned off XP's Picture & Fax Viewer in favor of my
normal graphics app, as if I really want to do more than even a
very quick print, it almost always involves some sort of tweak to
the image, its size, cropping, etc. depending on what I want to
do beyond simply viewing it.

So, you 2 cents is just as valuable as mine or others here, and
also just as worthless as all of ours. It highly depends on what
you needs vs want and simply what you like vs don't like.

As to your opening line, I'd certainly agree with that! Software
these days is being driven by greedy marketers who believe
rightly or wrongly that they can artificially increase sales by
introducing a new version in every shrinking product cycles,
often by just rearranging the GUI. Each new version, of course,
comes with its own set of bugs, so people who feel some
compulsion to always be up-to-date essentially beta test all of
their apps and utilities with their Visa cards and may well have
lost track of why they have a PC in the first place - to do
useful work for them.

--
HP, aka Jerry