Print directory

zzsharpei

Print directory
How can you print the directory using vista
Dave

Re: Print directory
Same as in XP.... not easily.

1. You can open a command prompt and type "dir > prn" or "dir > lpt1" or
"dir > dir.txt" then "print dir.txt"

2. Download a directory printing program. I'm using Directory Lister 0.9.1,
it adds an option to the right-click menu, and you can print to a file in
CSV, HTML or text format. They now have a pro version for $20
http://www.krksoft.com/download.php

or Google "directory printer" for others.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"zzsharpei" <zzsharpei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can you print the directory using vista

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Print directory
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:22:00 -0800, zzsharpei
<zzsharpei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How can you print the directory using vista

Here are four ways:

1. Go to a command prompt and issue the command

dir [drive:folder] > c:\tempfilename (you can use any name and put it
in any folder you want)

Then open notepad, open tempfilename, and print it from there.

2. Write (for example in Notepad) a 1-line text file:
DIR %1 /O >LPT1:

Save it as "printdir.bat" in the "Send To" folder.

Then, to print list of files in any folder, right-click that folder
and select Send to | printdir.bat

To include subfolders, change the comand to DIR %1 /O/S >LPT1:

3. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q321379 and
follow the instructions there.

4. Download and use any of the several freeware/shareware utilities
that can do this, such as the popular
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Print directory
In addition to Dave's suggestions, you can use a slight modification to this
article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP

The problem with this article under Vista is that there's no way to create a
new action for file folders. To overcome this, we can use the "Send To"
feature. Create the "printdir.bat" file and place it in your "Windows"
folder per the article. Next, go to 'Start|Run", enter the line:

shell:sendto

in the Run window and click OK. This will open the "Send To" folder. Right
click in the folder, select "New|Shortcut", use the "Browse" button to
navigate to the printdir.bat file you created, click OK, click Next, give
the shortcut a name (I used "Print Directory"), and click "Finish". To test
this, open Windows Explorer, right click any folder and go to "Send To",
then "Print Directory". I find this works well. More on how to add items
to the "Send To" menu is here:

http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...DB!15739.entry
Adding Folders and Programs to the 'Send To' Context Menu in Windows Vista

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"zzsharpei" <zzsharpei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can you print the directory using vista

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Print directory
FWIW, Ken, the method detailed in Q321379 won't work in Vista because the
"File Folder" file type is not available from 'Default Programs|Associate a
file type or protocol with a program'. The closest to this I've found is to
place a shortcut to "printdir.bat" in the "Send To" folder so you can right
click a folder then use Send to -> printdir.bat. This works.

Hal
--

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:22:00 -0800, zzsharpei
> <zzsharpei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > How can you print the directory using vista

> Here are four ways:
>
> 1. Go to a command prompt and issue the command
>
> dir [drive:folder] > c:\tempfilename (you can use any name and put it
> in any folder you want)
>
> Then open notepad, open tempfilename, and print it from there.
>
> 2. Write (for example in Notepad) a 1-line text file:
> DIR %1 /O >LPT1:
>
> Save it as "printdir.bat" in the "Send To" folder.
>
> Then, to print list of files in any folder, right-click that folder
> and select Send to | printdir.bat
>
> To include subfolders, change the comand to DIR %1 /O/S >LPT1:
>
> 3. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q321379 and
> follow the instructions there.
>
> 4. Download and use any of the several freeware/shareware utilities
> that can do this, such as the popular
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Print directory
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:43:14 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]"
<hhh@kvoa.com> wrote:

> FWIW, Ken, the method detailed in Q321379 won't work in Vista because the
> "File Folder" file type is not available from 'Default Programs|Associate a
> file type or protocol with a program'. The closest to this I've found is to
> place a shortcut to "printdir.bat" in the "Send To" folder so you can right
> click a folder then use Send to -> printdir.bat. This works.

Thanks for the info, Hal, and my apologies to zzsharpei for suggesting
something incorrect.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:22:00 -0800, zzsharpei
> > <zzsharpei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How can you print the directory using vista

> > Here are four ways:
> >
> > 1. Go to a command prompt and issue the command
> >
> > dir [drive:folder] > c:\tempfilename (you can use any name and put it
> > in any folder you want)
> >
> > Then open notepad, open tempfilename, and print it from there.
> >
> > 2. Write (for example in Notepad) a 1-line text file:
> > DIR %1 /O >LPT1:
> >
> > Save it as "printdir.bat" in the "Send To" folder.
> >
> > Then, to print list of files in any folder, right-click that folder
> > and select Send to | printdir.bat
> >
> > To include subfolders, change the comand to DIR %1 /O/S >LPT1:
> >
> > 3. Go to
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q321379 and
> > follow the instructions there.
> >
> > 4. Download and use any of the several freeware/shareware utilities
> > that can do this, such as the popular
> > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
joelfredl

RE: Print directory
Microsoft has always thought that printing a directory of any information
that is on "there computer" was not for the end user and never will.
Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Re: Print directory
Not really. Historically, it hasn't been a highly requested item, but it's
quite easy to do and there is a KB article available detailing the process:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
Windows Vista

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"

"joelfredl" <joelfredl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft has always thought that printing a directory of any information
> that is on "there computer" was not for the end user and never will.

Steve Mailman

Re: Print directory
fyi, this does not work on Vista x64.

"Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> Not really. Historically, it hasn't been a highly requested item, but
> it's quite easy to do and there is a KB article available detailing the
> process:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379
> How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
> Windows Vista
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>

> "joelfredl" <joelfredl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft has always thought that printing a directory of any information
>> that is on "there computer" was not for the end user and never will.

Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Re: Print directory
Doesn't work how? The right click context item doesn't appear, or the batch
file fails? Another approach to this problem, if the batch file works OK,
is to add it to the "Send To" menu so you can right click and "Send To"
"Printdir.bat"

Hal