Vista Printing - Question/Researching

KimSMMH

Vista Printing - Question/Researching
I was wondering if anyone knows if setting up a network printer in Vista is
profile specific.

I know currently with XP, if you setup a network printer it only shows up
for the user that is logged into the pc. To get around that currently, we
setup a local print port and point it to the print server.

Was wondering if this changes with Vista or if setting up printers on a PC
is still user profile specific. We don't use roaming profiles, as our users
will roam floors and need to print to the closet printer which may or may not
be in their roaming profile.

Any suggestions, comments, research, I gladly accept and appreciate!!
Kim
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Printing - Question/Researching
Printer connections are user specific in Vista. Local printers can be used
by all users.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"KimSMMH" <KimSMMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone knows if setting up a network printer in Vista is
> profile specific.
>
> I know currently with XP, if you setup a network printer it only shows up
> for the user that is logged into the pc. To get around that currently, we
> setup a local print port and point it to the print server.
>
> Was wondering if this changes with Vista or if setting up printers on a PC
> is still user profile specific. We don't use roaming profiles, as our
> users
> will roam floors and need to print to the closet printer which may or may
> not
> be in their roaming profile.
>
> Any suggestions, comments, research, I gladly accept and appreciate!!
> Kim

KimSMMH

Re: Vista Printing - Question/Researching
Thanks! A suggestion to MS would be to come up with a solution for network
printers to be viewable by all users. Healthcare with docs and nurses moving
around all the time, that would help eleviate a ton of support calls as well
as troubleshooting printing issues as related to driver compatibility with
citrix.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Printer connections are user specific in Vista. Local printers can be used
> by all users.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "KimSMMH" <KimSMMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was wondering if anyone knows if setting up a network printer in Vista is
> > profile specific.
> >
> > I know currently with XP, if you setup a network printer it only shows up
> > for the user that is logged into the pc. To get around that currently, we
> > setup a local print port and point it to the print server.
> >
> > Was wondering if this changes with Vista or if setting up printers on a PC
> > is still user profile specific. We don't use roaming profiles, as our
> > users
> > will roam floors and need to print to the closet printer which may or may
> > not
> > be in their roaming profile.
> >
> > Any suggestions, comments, research, I gladly accept and appreciate!!
> > Kim

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Printing - Question/Researching
We did. This feature is a user connection for all users who logon to the
machine

You can configure this a couple ways

rundll32 and script it or add the printer as a deployed printer connection
on a machine or user basis

Each user will get the connection at logon

in Vista you can just add the connection in the users section on the local
GPO

here's the instruction for rundll32

> Thanks! A suggestion to MS would be to come up with a solution for
> network
> printers to be viewable by all users. Healthcare with docs and nurses
> moving
> around all the time, that would help eleviate a ton of support calls as
> well
> as troubleshooting printing issues as related to driver compatibility with
> citrix.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Printer connections are user specific in Vista. Local printers can be
>> used
>> by all users.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "KimSMMH" <KimSMMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was wondering if anyone knows if setting up a network printer in Vista
>> >is
>> > profile specific.
>> >
>> > I know currently with XP, if you setup a network printer it only shows
>> > up
>> > for the user that is logged into the pc. To get around that currently,
>> > we
>> > setup a local print port and point it to the print server.
>> >
>> > Was wondering if this changes with Vista or if setting up printers on a
>> > PC
>> > is still user profile specific. We don't use roaming profiles, as our
>> > users
>> > will roam floors and need to print to the closet printer which may or
>> > may
>> > not
>> > be in their roaming profile.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions, comments, research, I gladly accept and appreciate!!
>> > Kim

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Printing - Question/Researching
Let me know if you need any assistance setting this up.

gpedit.msc

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team