Canon CanoScan 3200F not detected by "Windows Fax and Scan"

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpc2JhbmUgTWFuZ28=?=

Canon CanoScan 3200F not detected by "Windows Fax and Scan"
Hello,

My Canon CanoScan 3200F scanner is installed (using Canon's ScanGear CS
v8.5.1.1) and recognised by my Vista Ultimate installation (it appears as a
"CanoScan 3200/3200F" in Vista's Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras applet).

However, when I try and scan from the "Windows Fax and Scan" application I
receive the following message:

"No scanners were detected. If a scanner is installed, make sure that it is
powered on and connected to the computer, and then try again.
For information about adding or troubleshooting scanners, see Help
and Support"

How do I get the Windows Fax and Scan application to recognise my 3200F
scanner which Vista already knows about?!
Kim S

Re: Canon CanoScan 3200F not detected by "Windows Fax and Scan"
"Brisbane Mango" <Brisbane Mango@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
meddelelsen news:46AF00F7-9460-4457-8BEA-417F3C885F1E@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> My Canon CanoScan 3200F scanner is installed (using Canon's ScanGear CS
> v8.5.1.1) and recognised by my Vista Ultimate installation (it appears as
> "CanoScan 3200/3200F" in Vista's Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras
> applet).
>
> However, when I try and scan from the "Windows Fax and Scan" application I
> receive the following message:
>
> "No scanners were detected. If a scanner is installed, make sure that it
> is
> powered on and connected to the computer, and then try again.
> For information about adding or troubleshooting scanners, see Help
> and Support"
>
> How do I get the Windows Fax and Scan application to recognise my 3200F
> scanner which Vista already knows about?!

You probaly can't.... Se my posting from 22. feb. 2007 17:26.
But CanoScan recognizes it. Strange...

Regards, Kim

"Kim S" <JohnDoe@Falskmail.dk> skrev i meddelelsen

> You probaly can't.... Se my posting from 22. feb. 2007 17:26.
> But CanoScan recognizes it. Strange...

Forgot: I installed CanoScan Toolbox V.4.9, and it works
with that, but not in Vista Fax and Scan.

Regards, Kim

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Canon CanoScan 3200F not detected by "Windows Fax and Scan"
As Kim has found out this indicates that the Canon software, probably
using TWAI, is installing OK and will run the scanner -- but WIA in
VISTA does not know the scanner is there.

Since WIA was a twain compatibility module it should be possible to fix
this but I've no idea how.

Here's what VISTA HELP says about TWAIN:

Q -- I added my scanner to the computer but I can't select it when I
use Windows Fax and Scan or Windows Photo Gallery.

A -- Make sure that you've correctly connected the scanner or
multifunction printer with scanning capabilities to your computer, and
that the device is powered on. If that doesn't work, you might need to
update the driver so that your scanner can work with this version of
Windows. For more information, see Repair or update a driver.

If a driver is not available, find out if your scanner uses TWAIN
technology. Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Fax and Scan do not work
with TWAIN scanners, so you might need to use the program that came
with your scanner instead. To find out if your scanner uses TWAIN
technology, check the information that came with the scanner or contact
the scanner manufacturer.

=?Utf-8?B?SHVndWVub3Q0MQ==?=

Re: Canon CanoScan 3200F not detected by "Windows Fax and Scan"
Hi

I have the same problem with my Canon 4200F Scanner. I have downloaded new
drivers from Canon but it has made no difference.

Vista says the driver is OK but when I attempt to use it from Word etc I get
a message that it is not connected.

When I connect it to my laptop running XP it works perfectly.

Any ideas please.

Bewildered

mjg

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" wrote:

> As Kim has found out this indicates that the Canon software, probably
> using TWAI, is installing OK and will run the scanner -- but WIA in
> VISTA does not know the scanner is there.
>
> Since WIA was a twain compatibility module it should be possible to fix
> this but I've no idea how.
>
> Here's what VISTA HELP says about TWAIN:
>
> Q -- I added my scanner to the computer but I can't select it when I
> use Windows Fax and Scan or Windows Photo Gallery.
>
> A -- Make sure that you've correctly connected the scanner or
> multifunction printer with scanning capabilities to your computer, and
> that the device is powered on. If that doesn't work, you might need to
> update the driver so that your scanner can work with this version of
> Windows. For more information, see Repair or update a driver.
>
> If a driver is not available, find out if your scanner uses TWAIN
> technology. Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Fax and Scan do not work
> with TWAIN scanners, so you might need to use the program that came
> with your scanner instead. To find out if your scanner uses TWAIN
> technology, check the information that came with the scanner or contact
> the scanner manufacturer.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Canon CanoScan 3200F not detected by "Windows Fax and Scan"
In article <CD814445-BEC3-47E8-B5A7-CDF463CB2DB0@microsoft.com>, Huguenot41
wrote:
> Vista says the driver is OK but when I attempt to use it from Word etc I get*
> a message that it is not connected.

I don't have the experience with Canon that I have with HP but I would guess
that WORD is using the Windows Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service and so
like the Fax and Scanners module cannot run the scanner.

But as Kim has found in this thread:

> I installed CanoScan Toolbox V.4.9, and it works
> with that, but not in Vista Fax and Scan.

Can you install that Canoscan Toolbox and not just the driver? Then you should
be able to scan from that application even if not from others.

Otherwise I guess you just have to wait on Cannon.

However there seems to be a driver for VISTA on their website if you persevere
through their links. Note this if you upgraded from XP to VISTA:

<< To use this machine with a computer upgraded from Windows XP to Windows
Vista, be sure to uninstall all Canon scanner software (ScanGear or scanner
driver, application software, etc.) before upgrading to Windows Vista. >>

Note three is a driver file and a toolbox file down at the bottom.

Start from here and navigate on:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?
act=DownloadIndexAct&fcategoryid=350