Scanner Freezing

Farmer Scott

Scanner Freezing
My CanoScan 4200F keeps freezing for no apparent reason - it works for a few
scans and then it gives a communication error then a twain error, I then have
to reboot everything to get it started again, sometimes more than once. It
did it on my old computer with Windows XP but it now seems to be worse with
Vista Home Premium (on a new Dell Inspiron). My previous Canon 5000 scanner
gave me a similar problem. I have downloaded all the latest drivers and
switched cables and power outlets etc. but I still gives sporadic problems.
When I click on "scan profiles" which is off the scanners and cameras window
through the control panel, it never registers that I even have a scanner
regardless of the fact my scanner icon is in that window and the scanner is
working or not. This is very confusing to Canon as well.
--
Farmer Scott
Canada
Kevin

Re: Scanner Freezing

"Farmer Scott" <FarmerScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My CanoScan 4200F keeps freezing for no apparent reason - it works for a
> few
> scans and then it gives a communication error then a twain error, I then
> have
> to reboot everything to get it started again, sometimes more than once.
> It
> did it on my old computer with Windows XP but it now seems to be worse
> with
> Vista Home Premium (on a new Dell Inspiron). My previous Canon 5000
> scanner
> gave me a similar problem. I have downloaded all the latest drivers and
> switched cables and power outlets etc. but I still gives sporadic
> problems.
> When I click on "scan profiles" which is off the scanners and cameras
> window
> through the control panel, it never registers that I even have a scanner
> regardless of the fact my scanner icon is in that window and the scanner
> is
> working or not. This is very confusing to Canon as well.
> --
> Farmer Scott
> Canada

Uninstall all the software associated with the scanner. Check in Add/Remove
Programs to make sure the driver is also uninstalled. Reboot your system.
Install the scanner, following the instructions from Canon to the letter.

You mention that this scanner was previously installed on a Windows XP
machine. Is the scanner actually Windows Vista compatible and, if it is, do
you have a Vista driver for it?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Scanner Freezing
The drivers you need are at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct

(choose Vista from the drop down box and they will appear)

The file you need is called 4200fvst8611a_xpen.exe

The Canon ScanGear Toolbox is called cstbwin4612en.exe and can be found
slightly lower down the page.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows