Opening Scanned Documents

cheryl

Opening Scanned Documents
I scanned documents from my Lexmark scanner and sent them to a folder under
Documents. Now when I try to open, it tells me Microsoft Works Word is unable
to open. This also happens to docs saved from Print Artist which is
compatible
w/Vista

I can open the docs under Corel Snapfire,but I am only a trial period with
them.

--
cdu
Kevin

Re: Opening Scanned Documents

"cheryl" <cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I scanned documents from my Lexmark scanner and sent them to a folder under
> Documents. Now when I try to open, it tells me Microsoft Works Word is
> unable
> to open. This also happens to docs saved from Print Artist which is
> compatible
> w/Vista
>
> I can open the docs under Corel Snapfire,but I am only a trial period with
> them.
>
> --
> cdu

How did you save the scanned documents? What file format did you save them
as? They have to be saved in the same format that the word processor in
Microsoft Works uses in order to open in Works.

huwyngr

Re: Opening Scanned Documents
In article <A7C5E7B7-0CF9-4871-82CC-5755C6C88565@microsoft.com>, Cheryl
wrote:

> I scanned documents from my Lexmark scanner

Just scanning gives you images/pictures, not text unless your scanner
came with OCR software to convert it to text characters.

If you don't have OCR software (and it's hidden away in Microsoft
Office Tools, even in Works Suite 8 that I have) then try a Google on
SimpleOCR.

That does not include VISTA in its list of operating systems but I
installed it yesterday using compatibility mode and Run as
Adminsitrator and it works fine.

Remarkably good for a freeware program.

cheryl

Re: Opening Scanned Documents
Thanks everyone, it does come with OCR software and i have gotten the message
that it was not set up correctly & for me to insert the setup cd. I haven't
done that yet.

Kevin, how do I find out what format Microsoft Works Word uses?

Cheryl
--
cdu

> Thanks everyone, it does come with OCR software and i have gotten the
> message
> that it was not set up correctly & for me to insert the setup cd. I
> haven't
> done that yet.
>
> Kevin, how do I find out what format Microsoft Works Word uses?

Cheryl, see this link
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...881161033.aspx

As the article indicates, there are different versions of Works documents,
like Works 6.0 for instance. I have never been very impressed with Works,
even when Microsoft went so far as to include a full copy of Microsoft Word
with it. It is worth the expense to purchase a copy of Microsoft Office.

See this link for details on file formats supported by Works:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884182

Good luck!

In article <F1D787D5-28FE-4D13-9B99-84FBEBD4A11E@microsoft.com>, Cheryl
wrote:

> Kevin, how do I find out what format Microsoft Works Word uses?

Are you using Microsoft Works or one of the Microsoft Works Suites that
comes with Microsoft WORD in place of the simpler WORKS word processor?

I have Works Suite 8 and it comes with WORD 2002 that used .doc but can
deal with other formats such as .rtf -- The WORKS word processor format
uses .wps for its extension but you may need a converter that you can
get from the Microsoft Office website in order to open WORKS files in
WORD.

If you are wanting to know what file format to use for saving your OCR
then the rich text format .rtf would be best.