Windows Vista Print Spooler (under Services tab) "Failed to read D

Ryno

Windows Vista Print Spooler (under Services tab) "Failed to read D
HELP! I am have issues with my Sony Vaio with Windows Vista. I have done a
lot of research and read other post regarding printing issues and I can not
find a resolution for my problem. Under the Services tab (the location to
"restart" the Spooler), I have went to restart the spooler and I receive the
error code, "Failed to read Description. Error Code 2.). When double clicked
it doesn't allow me to restart or set recovery, it has a pop up that says
"The system can not find the file specified". So basically, I have no way of
"starting" the spooler. I am dead in the water, trying to install an HP7410
All in one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryno
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Windows Vista Print Spooler (under Services tab) "Failed to read D
what print drivers are installed. You'll need to get that information from
the registry.

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Ryno" <Ryno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news617E8AD-7F59-4653-AA8D-F454D2E200FC@microsoft.com...
> HELP! I am have issues with my Sony Vaio with Windows Vista. I have done
> lot of research and read other post regarding printing issues and I can
> not
> find a resolution for my problem. Under the Services tab (the location
> "restart" the Spooler), I have went to restart the spooler and I receive
> the
> error code, "Failed to read Description. Error Code 2.). When double
> clicked
> it doesn't allow me to restart or set recovery, it has a pop up that says
> "The system can not find the file specified". So basically, I have no way
> of
> "starting" the spooler. I am dead in the water, trying to install an
> HP7410
> All in one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Ryno

Ryno

Re: Windows Vista Print Spooler (under Services tab) "Failed to re
Thank you for your response Alan, I went to the link provided and cleaned out
the version 3 subkey (a few drivers relating to Adobe were in there I
believe, that was about it), leaving the subkey intact as mentioned in link.
While using the command prompt, I am not able to start the spooler. There
has never been a printer installed on this machine. Under the services tab,
the spooler will not respond to anything, <Failed to read Description.
Error2> just like that if you click on it, it says The system cannot find the
file specified. If I try net start spooler in the command prompt window, it
says system error 5 has occurred. I know I am in over my head here but none
of this makes sense...Vista is "driving" me crazy. Any more help would be

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> what print drivers are installed. You'll need to get that information from
> the registry.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Ryno" <Ryno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news617E8AD-7F59-4653-AA8D-F454D2E200FC@microsoft.com...
> > HELP! I am have issues with my Sony Vaio with Windows Vista. I have done
> > lot of research and read other post regarding printing issues and I can
> > not
> > find a resolution for my problem. Under the Services tab (the location
> > "restart" the Spooler), I have went to restart the spooler and I receive
> > the
> > error code, "Failed to read Description. Error Code 2.). When double
> > clicked
> > it doesn't allow me to restart or set recovery, it has a pop up that says
> > "The system can not find the file specified". So basically, I have no way
> > of
> > "starting" the spooler. I am dead in the water, trying to install an
> > HP7410
> > All in one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ryno

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Windows Vista Print Spooler (under Services tab) "Failed to re
The Command Prompt needs to be Run as administrator

Right click on Command Prompt.

Are there any print processors installed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors

the files should be located under

system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\

if the files are there then this is not the issue.