Connecting to shared printer

RayDoc

Connecting to shared printer
I am running Windows Vista on my laptop and Windows XP on my home computer to
which the shared printers are connected. When attempting to connect to
shared printer from my laptop, I get the following error "Windows cannot
connect. Access is denied" What am I doing wrong?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting to shared printer
Make sure the print$ share of the XP machine is visible from Vista

in a Vista command window type

dir \\Xpmachine\print$

Run the Network configuration on XP again. If you had not run it
previously, this would be an issue.

Check the Vista network setup.

Vista network configuration

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"RayDoc" <RayDoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows Vista on my laptop and Windows XP on my home computer
> which the shared printers are connected. When attempting to connect to
> shared printer from my laptop, I get the following error "Windows cannot
> connect. Access is denied" What am I doing wrong?

Markus Moeller

Re: Connecting to shared printer
I have a similar problem only that my XP printer doesn't support a Vista
client (e.g. there is no Vista driver available in the XP installation). But
I can get a pure Vista driver for the printer. I read I should setup my
printer as a local printer pointing to \\xpmachine\printer. When I do that I
can install the printer (at least I get asked to install the Vista printer
driver), but when I print I get an error (Error 0x0000000d or 0x00000035)
which I think is access denied.

What do I need to do to get it to work. I can print from any other XP
machine

Thank you
Markus

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Make sure the print$ share of the XP machine is visible from Vista
>
> in a Vista command window type
>
> dir \\Xpmachine\print$
>

> Run the Network configuration on XP again. If you had not run it
> previously, this would be an issue.
>

> Check the Vista network setup.
>

> Vista network configuration

> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "RayDoc" <RayDoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am running Windows Vista on my laptop and Windows XP on my home computer
>> which the shared printers are connected. When attempting to connect to
>> shared printer from my laptop, I get the following error "Windows cannot
>> connect. Access is denied" What am I doing wrong?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting to shared printer
error 5 is access denied

G:\>winerror 0x0000000d
13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched

G:\>winerror 0x000000035
53 ERROR_BAD_NETPATH <--> 0x80090303 No Symbolic Name
53 ERROR_BAD_NETPATH <--> 0xc00000be STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH

Is Vista network discovery enabled?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar problem only that my XP printer doesn't support a Vista
>client (e.g. there is no Vista driver available in the XP installation).
>But I can get a pure Vista driver for the printer. I read I should setup my
>printer as a local printer pointing to \\xpmachine\printer. When I do that
>I can install the printer (at least I get asked to install the Vista
>printer driver), but when I print I get an error (Error 0x0000000d or
>0x00000035) which I think is access denied.
>
> What do I need to do to get it to work. I can print from any other XP
> machine
>
> Thank you
> Markus
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Make sure the print$ share of the XP machine is visible from Vista
>>
>> in a Vista command window type
>>
>> dir \\Xpmachine\print$
>>

>> Run the Network configuration on XP again. If you had not run it
>> previously, this would be an issue.
>>

>> Check the Vista network setup.
>>

>> Vista network configuration
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "RayDoc" <RayDoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I am running Windows Vista on my laptop and Windows XP on my home
>>>computer to
>>> which the shared printers are connected. When attempting to connect to
>>> shared printer from my laptop, I get the following error "Windows cannot
>>> connect. Access is denied" What am I doing wrong?

Luca

Re: Connecting to shared printer
I've thw same problem trying to connect a laptop with Windows Vista Home
Basic with a Windows XP desktop with a shared printer.
When I try to add the printer in the laptop, I can see it but I get the
message:
"Windows cannot
connect. Access is denied"

If I give the command: dir \\Xpmachine\print$ I get only again Acces
denied mesage.
The laptop can access shared folders on the desktop PC so I think the
network setup in Vista is OK.

I tried running network configuration again on the desktop.

Any other suggestion?

Thank-you

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> error 5 is access denied
>
> G:\>winerror 0x0000000d
> 13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched
>
> G:\>winerror 0x000000035
> 53 ERROR_BAD_NETPATH <--> 0x80090303 No Symbolic Name
> 53 ERROR_BAD_NETPATH <--> 0xc00000be STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH
>

> Is Vista network discovery enabled?
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message
> >I have a similar problem only that my XP printer doesn't support a Vista
> >client (e.g. there is no Vista driver available in the XP installation).
> >But I can get a pure Vista driver for the printer. I read I should setup my
> >printer as a local printer pointing to \\xpmachine\printer. When I do that
> >I can install the printer (at least I get asked to install the Vista
> >printer driver), but when I print I get an error (Error 0x0000000d or
> >0x00000035) which I think is access denied.
> >
> > What do I need to do to get it to work. I can print from any other XP
> > machine
> >
> > Thank you
> > Markus
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Make sure the print$ share of the XP machine is visible from Vista
> >>
> >> in a Vista command window type
> >>
> >> dir \\Xpmachine\print$
> >>

> >> Run the Network configuration on XP again. If you had not run it
> >> previously, this would be an issue.
> >>

> >> Check the Vista network setup.
> >>

> >> Vista network configuration
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting to shared printer
the Vista machine will get the driver files from the \\XPmachine\print$
share.

Check the permissions on the XP print$ share and allow everyone read access.
The printer connection process just returns the same error as the OS when
accessing the remote share.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Luca" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've thw same problem trying to connect a laptop with Windows Vista Home
> Basic with a Windows XP desktop with a shared printer.
> When I try to add the printer in the laptop, I can see it but I get the
> message:
> "Windows cannot
> connect. Access is denied"
>
> If I give the command: dir \\Xpmachine\print$ I get only again Acces
> denied mesage.
> The laptop can access shared folders on the desktop PC so I think the
> network setup in Vista is OK.
>
> I tried running network configuration again on the desktop.
>
> Any other suggestion?
>
> Thank-you
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> error 5 is access denied
>>
>> G:\>winerror 0x0000000d
>> 13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched
>>
>> G:\>winerror 0x000000035
>> 53 ERROR_BAD_NETPATH <--> 0x80090303 No Symbolic Name
>> 53 ERROR_BAD_NETPATH <--> 0xc00000be STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH
>>

>> Is Vista network discovery enabled?
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a similar problem only that my XP printer doesn't support a Vista
>> >client (e.g. there is no Vista driver available in the XP installation).
>> >But I can get a pure Vista driver for the printer. I read I should setup
>> >my
>> >printer as a local printer pointing to \\xpmachine\printer. When I do
>> >that
>> >I can install the printer (at least I get asked to install the Vista
>> >printer driver), but when I print I get an error (Error 0x0000000d or
>> >0x00000035) which I think is access denied.
>> >
>> > What do I need to do to get it to work. I can print from any other XP
>> > machine
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> > Markus

norvik1943

Re: Connecting to shared printer

Grrrr! I've had the same problem since Christmas Day trying to print
from my new Vista 32-bit PC to a Brother HL-2040 attached to a Win/XP
OS'd computer on my home network. I was also getting the (0x000003e3)
error as well. Thanx to this forum, I finally got it working yesterday.
I'd been trying to set it up (logged in as Admin) as a local printer
pointing to the \\pcname\printername as my port type but still got the
same error even though I could easily see the printer on my network from
my new Vista PC.

1. I installed the latest Brother drivers on my XP computer and
rebooted.
2. I downloaded and unzipped the Vista drivers for the Brother laser
on the Vista PC.
3. I enabled the Guest account on my new Vista PC.
4. I added new printer, local, port name \\pcname\printername,
Finished without errors.

It works. I'm wondering if I had to open the guest account first on my
new Vista PC to get it working finally.

Thanx again for the advice at this forum as I spent a lot of time
trying to contact my PC manufacturer tech support via chat with no
success, and wasn't allowed to ask Microsoft for support as my Vista
Product ID was rejected as invalid. Hummm! This a a brand name PC with
OEM version of Vista Home Premium installed. Guess OEM versions aren't
allowed to contact Microsoft directly.

I love the new 22 inch flatscreen monitor that came with it though.
Finally I can read emails even with all the Yahoo ads all over the
place.

--
norvik1943
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting to shared printer
glad it works

the error you mention is different though

E:\>winerror 0x000003e3
995 ERROR_OPERATION_ABORTED <--> 0xc0000120 STATUS_CANCELLED

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team