Can't connect to network printer but Vista has drivers.

LaureynsR

Can't connect to network printer but Vista has drivers.
Hi,

I'm a little frustrated, I just upgraded my workstation to Vista Ultimate
64bit and tried to connect to my Brother MFC-6800 which is on my Windows Home
Server. I tried to browse to the printer and connect and the system adds the
printer but has an error that the driver for that printer are not available.

I went to Brothers site and they say the drivers should be available in
Vista. Sure enough, if I manually install the printer or connect it directly
to the Vista workstation via USB, and it loads the MFC-6800 driver.

Is there a way to redirect the port from the USB to the server like in XP? I
don't see port even though the pinter is there.

Please help.

Thanks
--
"Imagination is more important than knowledge, knowledge is limited but
Imagination can encircle the world."

-=Albert Einstein=-
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can't connect to network printer but Vista has drivers.
Is the x64 driver installed on the Home Server? Make sure the driver names
are exactly the same on both 32 and 64 bit platforms. If the driver names
are different, they are not that same driver.

When the driver names do not match, setup a local printer on the client
machine that uses a Local Port redirected to the printer share (the port
name will be \\HomeServer\PrinterShare), then select the inbox driver for
the device

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"LaureynsR" <LaureynsR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little frustrated, I just upgraded my workstation to Vista Ultimate
> 64bit and tried to connect to my Brother MFC-6800 which is on my Windows
> Server. I tried to browse to the printer and connect and the system adds
> the
> printer but has an error that the driver for that printer are not
> available.
>
> I went to Brothers site and they say the drivers should be available in
> Vista. Sure enough, if I manually install the printer or connect it
> directly
> to the Vista workstation via USB, and it loads the MFC-6800 driver.
>
> Is there a way to redirect the port from the USB to the server like in XP?
> don't see port even though the pinter is there.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks
> --
> "Imagination is more important than knowledge, knowledge is limited but
> Imagination can encircle the world."
>
> -=Albert Einstein=-

Markus Moeller

Re: Can't connect to network printer but Vista has drivers.
I tried the local printer setup for my Lexmark to connect to a network
printer attached to XP which failed with access denied, despite it working
fine for any other XP system. What do I need to do to resolve the access
deny between Vista and XP ?

Thank you
Markus

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is the x64 driver installed on the Home Server? Make sure the driver
> names are exactly the same on both 32 and 64 bit platforms. If the driver
> names are different, they are not that same driver.
>
> When the driver names do not match, setup a local printer on the client
> machine that uses a Local Port redirected to the printer share (the port
> name will be \\HomeServer\PrinterShare), then select the inbox driver for
> the device
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "LaureynsR" <LaureynsR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a little frustrated, I just upgraded my workstation to Vista Ultimate
>> 64bit and tried to connect to my Brother MFC-6800 which is on my Windows
>> Server. I tried to browse to the printer and connect and the system adds
>> the
>> printer but has an error that the driver for that printer are not
>> available.
>>
>> I went to Brothers site and they say the drivers should be available in
>> Vista. Sure enough, if I manually install the printer or connect it
>> directly
>> to the Vista workstation via USB, and it loads the MFC-6800 driver.
>>
>> Is there a way to redirect the port from the USB to the server like in
>> XP? I
>> don't see port even though the pinter is there.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> "Imagination is more important than knowledge, knowledge is limited but
>> Imagination can encircle the world."
>>
>> -=Albert Einstein=-

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can't connect to network printer but Vista has drivers.
start with the network information

Vista network configuration

Verify the Vista machine has access to the print$ share on the xp machine

dir \\XPMACHINE\print$

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team