custom forms in vista

amit p

custom forms in vista
I am using an Epson Lq-300+ dot matrix printer in Windows Vista. I am
trying to print bills sized 12in by 6in. I added the custom
paper size in the print server and it is saved correctly, however, when I try
to print, the print properties dialog does not show the paper size. In fact,
there are many paper sizes in the print manager that do not show up in the
list of available paper sizes.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: custom forms in vista
If you made the connection to the server before adding the form, you need to
delete the connection, delete the driver, then add the connection back. Form
data is only migrated when the driver gets installed.

The only paper sizes that will appear in the properties dialog are those
defined in the printer text based GPD and those that are within the
CustomSize parameters. I think these are in pixels but you'd need to ask
Epson for sure.

I assume you are using the

"EPSON LQ-300+ ESC/P 2" driver

custom size info from the GPD

*Option: CUSTOMSIZE
{
*rcNameID: =USER_DEFINED_SIZE_DISPLAY
*MinSize: PAIR(1417, 1417)
*MaxSize: PAIR(3643, 7920)
*MaxPrintableWidth: 2880
*MinLeftMargin: 43
*CenterPrintable?: FALSE
*TopMargin: 60
*BottomMargin: 108
*CustCursorOriginX: %d{43}
*CustCursorOriginY: %d{60}
*CustPrintableOriginX: %d{43}
*CustPrintableOriginY: %d{60}
*CustPrintableSizeX: %d{min(2880,PhysPaperWidth-86)}
*CustPrintableSizeY: %d{PhysPaperLength-168}
*switch: InputBin
{
*case: TRACTOR
{
*TopMargin: 60
*BottomMargin: 60
*CustCursorOriginX: %d{43}
*CustCursorOriginY: %d{60}
*CustPrintableOriginX: %d{43}
*CustPrintableOriginY: %d{60}
*CustPrintableSizeX: %d{min(2880,PhysPaperWidth-86)}
*CustPrintableSizeY: %d{PhysPaperLength-120}
}
}
*Command: CmdSelect
{
*Order: DOC_SETUP.8
*Cmd: "<1B>(C<0200>" %l{PhysPaperLength }"<1B>(c<0400>%<<00>"
%l{PhysPaperLength }
}
}
}
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.MANUAL, PaperSize.FANFOLD_STD_GERMAN)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.MANUAL, PaperSize.FANFOLD_LGL_GERMAN)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.MANUAL, PaperSize.LETTER_FANFOLD)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.MANUAL, PaperSize.A4_FANFOLD)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.MANUAL, PaperSize.FANFOLD_210x305)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.CSF, PaperSize.FANFOLD_STD_GERMAN)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.CSF, PaperSize.FANFOLD_LGL_GERMAN)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.CSF, PaperSize.LETTER_FANFOLD)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.CSF, PaperSize.A4_FANFOLD)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.CSF, PaperSize.FANFOLD_210x305)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.LETTER)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.LEGAL)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.A4)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.A5)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.B5)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.B4)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.STATEMENT)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_6_34)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_10)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_DL)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_C5)
*InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.CARD_148x105)

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"amit p" <amitp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using an Epson Lq-300+ dot matrix printer in Windows Vista. I am
> trying to print bills sized 12in by 6in. I added the custom
> paper size in the print server and it is saved correctly, however, when I
> try
> to print, the print properties dialog does not show the paper size. In
> fact,
> there are many paper sizes in the print manager that do not show up in the
> list of available paper sizes.

amit p

Re: custom forms in vista
hey Allan

i am sorry for being stupid but can u explain me the first para i mean what
server you are talkin about and how to disconnect from it, i am using stand
alone pc and only network connection is of Broad Band Internet.
Secondly i just read the Gpd file of driver, are you suggesting me to make
some changes in it, if yes, what and how? Thanks again in advance.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_10)
> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_DL)
> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_C5)
> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.CARD_148x105)
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "amit p" <amitp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using an Epson Lq-300+ dot matrix printer in Windows Vista. I am
> > trying to print bills sized 12in by 6in. I added the custom
> > paper size in the print server and it is saved correctly, however, when I
> > try
> > to print, the print properties dialog does not show the paper size. In
> > fact,
> > there are many paper sizes in the print manager that do not show up in the

I'm just taking about your print server. The one you referenced in the

"I added the custom paper size in the print server "

I can't make that suggestion but if I edited the file I would make a copy of
the original first.

Since I can't suggest you edit the TEXT based file that you now have a
backup copy, I would attempt to determine exactly how close of a form size
you can create that is within the parameters of the custom size the GPD
allows. Make some that do no appear in the list as well as some that do.
Maybe some will magically appear if you do attempt to modify the TEXT based
GPD file.

Lastly there is a corresponding BUD file that is a compiled version of the
GPD file. This is the file that the spooler reads and will continue to read
even if there is a newer GPD file. The old BUD file would need to be
deleted and regenerated with any updated information. The BUD file
generation would only happen when the spooler is started when the BUD file
for the printer does not exist, then the new BUD file is compiled form the
current GPD.

--

> [...]
>> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_DL)
>> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_C5)
>> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.CARD_148x105)
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "amit p" <amitp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using an Epson Lq-300+ dot matrix printer in Windows Vista. I am
>> > trying to print bills sized 12in by 6in. I added the custom
>> > paper size in the print server and it is saved correctly, however, when
>> > try
>> > to print, the print properties dialog does not show the paper size. In
>> > fact,
>> > there are many paper sizes in the print manager that do not show up in

Thanx Allan
But one more thing, i Find an XPS printer too, and after selecting tht
printer i can view all the paper sizes present in the server properties, even
the one i created. So the question is, can i just copy the text of that gpd
file and paste it in the epson gpd file, will that work?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.LEGAL)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.A4)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.A5)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.B5)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.B4)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.STATEMENT)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_6_34)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_10)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_DL)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.Env_C5)
> >> *InvalidCombination: LIST(InputBin.TRACTOR, PaperSize.CARD_148x105)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:

That would NOT be wise. I would review the CustomSize section of the XPS
GPD to gain some insight for what could be modified in the Epson file which
would allow the user defined forms to fall within valid parameters.