let me get this straight

=?Utf-8?B?VG9LRQ==?=

let me get this straight
So in order to access my printer which is connected to a Vista x64 desktop
machine. you want me to install x86 vista, to aquire the driver. to reinstall
x64 vista. to install the x86 driver for vista onto my x64 version of vista.
so that i can then share my printer so that it can be accessed across the
network from my x86 version of Windows Xp Media centre whilst connected to a
x64 version of vista?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: let me get this straight
None of the drivers are available on a flat file share (or even cabbed as in
XP) in the Vista DVD. One will need to install Vista to get the alternate
drivers. I have mail out to one of the print program managers. The last I
heard, there would be a downloadable solution when we ship the Server OS.

Does anyone know how to extract the files off the Vista DVD?

Not just acquire the driver, be sure to save the FileRepository directory
somewhere for the next printer you get.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So in order to access my printer which is connected to a Vista x64 desktop
> machine. you want me to install x86 vista, to aquire the driver. to
> reinstall
> x64 vista. to install the x86 driver for vista onto my x64 version of
> vista.
> so that i can then share my printer so that it can be accessed across the
> network from my x86 version of Windows Xp Media centre whilst connected to
> x64 version of vista?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9LRQ==?=

Re: let me get this straight
But surely, you (MS) should have anticipated that (especially at release) not
every computer in every household would be running Vista. In fact, it would
it not make sense that there would be a high likelyhood that there will be
situations where one computer in the house would be running vista, and others
using XP. I dont understand why this problem exists, except intentionally to
force people to upgrade. I can understand having to install a seperate driver
for the printer to work (although really this shouldn't be an issue either.
surely, as Vista has been touted as a next genreation Operating system. it
would be able to handle the printer spooling itself and the printer
information handled remotely so that the extend to the install on the second
machine is just to indicate where on the network the printer is attached.
surely, at very very least, it should be able to handle a x64 to x86
conversion, or even more dissapointingly a XP to Vista conversion.
i just cannot understand why this is a problem. why do i have to goto such
extreme lengths to perform such a basic task?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> None of the drivers are available on a flat file share (or even cabbed as in
> XP) in the Vista DVD. One will need to install Vista to get the alternate
> drivers. I have mail out to one of the print program managers. The last I
> heard, there would be a downloadable solution when we ship the Server OS.
>
> Does anyone know how to extract the files off the Vista DVD?
>
> Not just acquire the driver, be sure to save the FileRepository directory
> somewhere for the next printer you get.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So in order to access my printer which is connected to a Vista x64 desktop
> > machine. you want me to install x86 vista, to aquire the driver. to
> > reinstall
> > x64 vista. to install the x86 driver for vista onto my x64 version of
> > vista.
> > so that i can then share my printer so that it can be accessed across the
> > network from my x86 version of Windows Xp Media centre whilst connected to
> > x64 version of vista?

Jeff

Re: let me get this straight
I think I missed the most of this thread, but are you trying to share a
printer that is on Vista 64? and you want a XP machine to access the
printer?
On the vista machine, and the printer properties, have you clicked on
Install additional drivers and install the XP drivers for the printer. Or
easier still, if you have only a couple of XP pc's why not just install the
printer drivers on XP then connect the Vista printer share after the drivers
are installed.

=?Utf-8?B?VG9LRQ==?=

Re: let me get this straight
Previous part of this thread is under the sharing printers from vista to xp.

installing teh xp driver onto my vista machine doesnt work, it rejects it
for not being a vista driver. i cannot download the vista x86 driver
fromcanon as they dont list it as as far as they are concerned the driver
support is within windows. i have tried using the xp driver on the xp
machine, but this is also rejected.
from reviewing what Alan had said. i think the problem lies from me having
the x64 vista driver installed, when i need the x86. slight oversight in my
opinion

"Jeff" wrote:

> I think I missed the most of this thread, but are you trying to share a
> printer that is on Vista 64? and you want a XP machine to access the
> printer?
> On the vista machine, and the printer properties, have you clicked on
> Install additional drivers and install the XP drivers for the printer. Or
> easier still, if you have only a couple of XP pc's why not just install the
> printer drivers on XP then connect the Vista printer share after the drivers
> are installed.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: let me get this straight
No it's not an oversight. It's just a complex issue. You have to have the
x64 driver installed on x64 machines so you can print. For x86 to connect,
the driver name needs to match that on the "server", when the cross
platform driver is added on the server, the clients download this driver.
If the driver name matches a driver that has been shipped on the OS but is
not on the "server", the client will install the driver from the local
driver store and make the connection.

Microsoft is still working out the details to have all platform drivers
available on the web.

The easiest way to get the XP machine connected to the x64 machine is create
a Local printer the use a Local Port with the name
\\VistaMachine\SharedPrintername and use have disk to install the XP driver
in the XP client.