16-bit printing problem with Vista

ronc

16-bit printing problem with Vista
Hi,
We need to run one of our large 16bit Visual Basic 3.0 applications on Vista
Ultimate (32bit) while we rewrite the app in VB .Net.

So far I have been able to install the VB3 app, and even the VB3 dev, on
Vista and with a few small changes all runs well except for printing from the
VB app.

We use the VB PrintForm command to print a screen image from the app. All
works well under Windows XP but under Vista nothing prints.
Watching the Print Queue for the default printer, a job starts then quickly
disappears from the queue with nothing printed.

The VB3 app can see the printer and the printer properties OK using Printer
Setup (Common Dialog VBX).

Printing works fine from Word 2003 and other 32 bit apps on the PC.

I have tried several printers, all work OK under Vista except for the 16 bit
apps.
I have tried running the app as Admin and changing compatibilty properties.

Does Vista support any printing from 16 bit apps?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

ronc

RE: 16-bit printing problem with Vista
More info after further testing...
It looks like it may not be a 16bit issue at all because I tried to use
Printform from VB6(32bit) and that would not print either, even though other
apps print graphics OK and it works fine under XP.
Is there an issue with Vista printing bitmap graphics? because the Printform
command sends a bitmap of the current form to the printer. If you press
PrntScreen and paste a bitmap of the screen into a Word 2003 document it
prints fine.
I have tried this on several Vista PCs and printer combinations all with the
same result. Nothing printed or sometimes a blank page.
Any suggestions?

"ronc" wrote:

> Hi,
> We need to run one of our large 16bit Visual Basic 3.0 applications on Vista
> Ultimate (32bit) while we rewrite the app in VB .Net.
>
> So far I have been able to install the VB3 app, and even the VB3 dev, on
> Vista and with a few small changes all runs well except for printing from the
> VB app.
>
> We use the VB PrintForm command to print a screen image from the app. All
> works well under Windows XP but under Vista nothing prints.
> Watching the Print Queue for the default printer, a job starts then quickly
> disappears from the queue with nothing printed.
>
> The VB3 app can see the printer and the printer properties OK using Printer
> Setup (Common Dialog VBX).
>
> Printing works fine from Word 2003 and other 32 bit apps on the PC.
>
> I have tried several printers, all work OK under Vista except for the 16 bit
> apps.
> I have tried running the app as Admin and changing compatibilty properties.
>
> Does Vista support any printing from 16 bit apps?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

SteveEasy

Re: 16-bit printing problem with Vista

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem?
I have found the same issue with a heavily-used legacy app now that
Vista is being introduced...

Many thanks...

--
SteveEasy
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: 16-bit printing problem with Vista
What problem? If you're going to hijack a thread, please include enough of
the original to describe the problem. Since you didn't do that, we have no
idea what your "same issue" is or whether or not its ever been resolved.
Care to post some details for us?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"SteveEasy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Did you ever resolve this problem?
> I have found the same issue with a heavily-used legacy app now that
> Vista is being introduced...
>
> Many thanks...
>

> --
> SteveEasy

SteveEasy

Re: 16-bit printing problem with Vista

Hi Hal,
I'm sorry if I posted wrongly - I did not intend to "hijack" a thread.
I believed that I added a query to a thread with just two posts - both
unanswered queries about the following problem:
When a legacy VB3 (16-bit) application was transferred to a Vista
machine, the VB "Printform" command stops working correctly, sending a
blank outline to the printer instead of the form layout as on XP and
previous systems.
This is repeatable on various Vista installations, with all variations
such as "Printform", "Me.Printform", "Formname.Printform".

As this legacy app has still a good two years life before its
replacement will be ready, I am trying to find a resolution.
I hope that you or another contributor may be able to help me.

Once again, my apologies if I offended anyone or broke any protocols.

Steve

--
SteveEasy