Sharing Printers from Vista to XP

=?Utf-8?B?VG9LRQ==?=

Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the unbuilt
drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista Drivers
are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers manually
on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems when
trying to install them onto the Vista machine.

How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically connected
to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?
Kim S

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
"ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the
>unbuilt
> drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista
> Drivers
> are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers
> manually
> on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
> drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems when
> trying to install them onto the Vista machine.
>
> How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically
> connected
> to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?

Try to physically attach the printer to your XP-machine, and install the
printer as a local printer.
Then move the printer to your Vista-machine and share it.
That's how I got my Canon IP5200 to work.

Regards, Kim

"Kim S" <JohnDoe@Falskmail.dk> skrev i meddelelsen
> "ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>>

> Try to physically attach the printer to your XP-machine, and install the
> printer as a local printer.
> Then move the printer to your Vista-machine and share it.
> That's how I got my Canon IP5200 to work.

Forgot to tell you: My problem with the IP5200 was the other
way around. The printer is attached to a XP-machine, and I'm
running Vista 64-bit.

Regards, Kim

=?Utf-8?B?VG9LRQ==?=

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
thanks, but this doesn't work for me.

"Kim S" wrote:

> "ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> >I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the
> >unbuilt
> > drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista
> > Drivers
> > are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers
> > manually
> > on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
> > drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems when
> > trying to install them onto the Vista machine.
> >
> > How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically
> > connected
> > to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?
> >

> Try to physically attach the printer to your XP-machine, and install the
> printer as a local printer.
> Then move the printer to your Vista-machine and share it.
> That's how I got my Canon IP5200 to work.
>
> Regards, Kim

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
You will need access to a Vista x86 machine to get the x86 Vista drivers
installed on the x64 machine.

the print driver files are in the
\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository directory

Look for prn?????.inf directory ???? is a indicator of the printer vendor
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks, but this doesn't work for me.
>
> "Kim S" wrote:
>
>> "ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>> >I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the
>> >unbuilt
>> > drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista
>> > Drivers
>> > are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers
>> > manually
>> > on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
>> > drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems
>> > when
>> > trying to install them onto the Vista machine.
>> >
>> > How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically
>> > connected
>> > to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?
>> >

>> Try to physically attach the printer to your XP-machine, and install the
>> printer as a local printer.
>> Then move the printer to your Vista-machine and share it.
>> That's how I got my Canon IP5200 to work.
>>
>> Regards, Kim

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
Download the i865 drivers for XP from Canon. Use WinRar to open the exe
package (rather than letting it run)... you may need to do this twice.

Under the properties of the printer, add the drivers for XP... point it to
the unrar-ed i865 Canon files.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the
>unbuilt
> drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista
> Drivers
> are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers
> manually
> on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
> drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems when
> trying to install them onto the Vista machine.
>
> How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically
> connected
> to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9LRQ==?=

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
This does not work.
i have downloaded the widows xp driver from canon
i have extracted it to its own folder - on the vista x64 machine
when i go into my printer sharing, i goto additional drivers
and for x86 i direct it to the i865.inf file contained within the windows xp
driver.
an error message appears saying that it is the incorrect driver for this
processor architecture.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Download the i865 drivers for XP from Canon. Use WinRar to open the exe
> package (rather than letting it run)... you may need to do this twice.
>
> Under the properties of the printer, add the drivers for XP... point it to
> the unrar-ed i865 Canon files.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the
> >unbuilt
> > drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista
> > Drivers
> > are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers
> > manually
> > on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
> > drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems when
> > trying to install them onto the Vista machine.
> >
> > How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically
> > connected
> > to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
You may as well give up . Vista was not ready to be released and MS will not
admit it. Evident by all the Network problems you see here. I tried all the
bullcrap MS is stating to you and it got me no where. To this dau I can'y
print from my Vista laptop to my XP machine. I have the exact same problems
as you are describing. Now to top it all off I call MS direct and they tell
me Its my computers problem and not thiers. i call gateway and they say it MS
Vistas problem. So NO SUPPORT WITHOUT PAYING MS ! They can put it where the
sun don't shine ! I am a network spe******t and I will be sure to tell
everyone in my Fortune 500 company NOT TO INSTALL VISTA !

"ToKE" wrote:

> This does not work.
> i have downloaded the widows xp driver from canon
> i have extracted it to its own folder - on the vista x64 machine
> when i go into my printer sharing, i goto additional drivers
> and for x86 i direct it to the i865.inf file contained within the windows xp
> driver.
> an error message appears saying that it is the incorrect driver for this
> processor architecture.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Download the i865 drivers for XP from Canon. Use WinRar to open the exe
> > package (rather than letting it run)... you may need to do this twice.
> >
> > Under the properties of the printer, add the drivers for XP... point it to
> > the unrar-ed i865 Canon files.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "ToKE" <ToKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a Canon i865 shared on a Vista Ultimate x64 system. using the
> > >unbuilt
> > > drivers. i can see the printer fine on my XP MCE laptop but the Vista
> > > Drivers
> > > are not supported under XP. i have tried installing the XP drivers
> > > manually
> > > on the XP machine but it rejects them, i also cannot install non-Vista
> > > drivers when trying to install drivers for previous operating systems when
> > > trying to install them onto the Vista machine.
> > >
> > > How do i go about configuring my printer so that it is physically
> > > connected
> > > to my Vista Desktop, but i can access and print from my XP laptop?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
You call yourself a network spe******t and you can't install a network
printer? Shame on you, not MS.
--

"CPickens" <CPickens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You may as well give up . Vista was not ready to be released and MS will
> not
> admit it. Evident by all the Network problems you see here. I tried all
> the
> bullcrap MS is stating to you and it got me no where. To this dau I can'y
> print from my Vista laptop to my XP machine. I have the exact same
> problems
> as you are describing. Now to top it all off I call MS direct and they
> tell
> me Its my computers problem and not thiers. i call gateway and they say it
> MS
> Vistas problem. So NO SUPPORT WITHOUT PAYING MS ! They can put it where
> the
> sun don't shine ! I am a network spe******t and I will be sure to tell
> everyone in my Fortune 500 company NOT TO INSTALL VISTA !

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Sharing Printers from Vista to XP
I gave this post a not-useful rating. And you call yourself a MS-MVP...

Robert