Print wizard differences

Charles Shapiro

Print wizard differences
Hello.

I am trying to get a Vista Laptop to print to a XP desktop. It appears
instead of setting it up as a network printer, I install as local printer
and use UNC naming(\\computername\printername) to connect to the printer.
The problem I have it that Vista isn't consistent in it's add a printer
wizard or there is something wrong with this laptop.

On my Vista Ultimate when I go to add a printer I get a list of manufactures
and models. On this laptop with Vista Business, the wizard looks the same
but never shows the list of manufactures or models. I have a choice of
'window update' or 'have disk'. Since there is no disk for an HP printer
for Vista I choose 'window update', but it only has 5 Deskjet printers and
none are the one I have (920c). I have installed two of the drives from
this location and can get the printer to send a blank piece of paper (which
is good, it shows I have the connection to the network printer), I just have
the wrong driver.

1. Tell me if this will work. Install the printer locally, then try the
local port to connect to the printer and let it use the drivers it used to
install it locally? OR

2. Insert my Vista Ultimate DVD when it asks if I have the disk and make it
search the DVD for the driver. I guess I could do the same with the current
install as the drivers have to be there somewhere, don't they?

Appreciate any help to get this printer online.

Thanks.

...Chip..

Chuck

Re: Print wizard differences
I assume that the laptop has OEM vista installed, and is likely a non HP
laptop.
If so, you may find that some of the printer drivers found on the retail
versions are missing.
(At least, this has been a common problem in the past.)
The URL below should get you to the correct page to select and download the
needed drivers.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... lang=en&cc=us

"Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to get a Vista Laptop to print to a XP desktop. It appears
> instead of setting it up as a network printer, I install as local printer
> and use UNC naming(\\computername\printername) to connect to the printer.
> The problem I have it that Vista isn't consistent in it's add a printer
> wizard or there is something wrong with this laptop.
>
> On my Vista Ultimate when I go to add a printer I get a list of

manufactures
> and models. On this laptop with Vista Business, the wizard looks the same
> but never shows the list of manufactures or models. I have a choice of
> 'window update' or 'have disk'. Since there is no disk for an HP printer
> for Vista I choose 'window update', but it only has 5 Deskjet printers and
> none are the one I have (920c). I have installed two of the drives from
> this location and can get the printer to send a blank piece of paper

(which
> is good, it shows I have the connection to the network printer), I just

have
> the wrong driver.
>
> 1. Tell me if this will work. Install the printer locally, then try the
> local port to connect to the printer and let it use the drivers it used to
> install it locally? OR
>
> 2. Insert my Vista Ultimate DVD when it asks if I have the disk and make

it
> search the DVD for the driver. I guess I could do the same with the

current
> install as the drivers have to be there somewhere, don't they?
>
> Appreciate any help to get this printer online.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ..Chip..

Charles Shapiro

Re: Print wizard differences
Unless I am missing something on that link you provided it says the drivers
are built into Vista and gives no link to download them.

"Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
>I assume that the laptop has OEM vista installed, and is likely a non HP
> laptop.
> If so, you may find that some of the printer drivers found on the retail
> versions are missing.
> (At least, this has been a common problem in the past.)
> The URL below should get you to the correct page to select and download
> the
> needed drivers.
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... lang=en&cc=us
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>>
>> I am trying to get a Vista Laptop to print to a XP desktop. It appears
>> instead of setting it up as a network printer, I install as local printer
>> and use UNC naming(\\computername\printername) to connect to the
>> printer.
>> The problem I have it that Vista isn't consistent in it's add a printer
>> wizard or there is something wrong with this laptop.
>>
>> On my Vista Ultimate when I go to add a printer I get a list of

> manufactures
>> and models. On this laptop with Vista Business, the wizard looks the
>> same
>> but never shows the list of manufactures or models. I have a choice of
>> 'window update' or 'have disk'. Since there is no disk for an HP printer
>> for Vista I choose 'window update', but it only has 5 Deskjet printers
>> and
>> none are the one I have (920c). I have installed two of the drives from
>> this location and can get the printer to send a blank piece of paper

> (which
>> is good, it shows I have the connection to the network printer), I just

> have
>> the wrong driver.
>>
>> 1. Tell me if this will work. Install the printer locally, then try the
>> local port to connect to the printer and let it use the drivers it used
>> install it locally? OR
>>
>> 2. Insert my Vista Ultimate DVD when it asks if I have the disk and make

> it
>> search the DVD for the driver. I guess I could do the same with the

> current
>> install as the drivers have to be there somewhere, don't they?
>>
>> Appreciate any help to get this printer online.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ..Chip..

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Print wizard differences
You will need the system setup files that fix the problem

Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.

This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
automatically install inbox drivers.

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
your device"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Unless I am missing something on that link you provided it says the
> drivers are built into Vista and gives no link to download them.
>
> "Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I assume that the laptop has OEM vista installed, and is likely a non HP
>> laptop.
>> If so, you may find that some of the printer drivers found on the retail
>> versions are missing.
>> (At least, this has been a common problem in the past.)
>> The URL below should get you to the correct page to select and download
>> the
>> needed drivers.
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... lang=en&cc=us
>>
>> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I am trying to get a Vista Laptop to print to a XP desktop. It appears
>>> instead of setting it up as a network printer, I install as local
>>> printer
>>> and use UNC naming(\\computername\printername) to connect to the
>>> printer.
>>> The problem I have it that Vista isn't consistent in it's add a printer
>>> wizard or there is something wrong with this laptop.
>>>
>>> On my Vista Ultimate when I go to add a printer I get a list of

>> manufactures
>>> and models. On this laptop with Vista Business, the wizard looks the
>>> same
>>> but never shows the list of manufactures or models. I have a choice of
>>> 'window update' or 'have disk'. Since there is no disk for an HP
>>> printer
>>> for Vista I choose 'window update', but it only has 5 Deskjet printers
>>> and
>>> none are the one I have (920c). I have installed two of the drives from
>>> this location and can get the printer to send a blank piece of paper

>> (which
>>> is good, it shows I have the connection to the network printer), I just

>> have
>>> the wrong driver.
>>>
>>> 1. Tell me if this will work. Install the printer locally, then try the
>>> local port to connect to the printer and let it use the drivers it used
>>> install it locally? OR
>>>
>>> 2. Insert my Vista Ultimate DVD when it asks if I have the disk and make

>> it
>>> search the DVD for the driver. I guess I could do the same with the

>> current
>>> install as the drivers have to be there somewhere, don't they?
>>>
>>> Appreciate any help to get this printer online.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> ..Chip..

Charles Shapiro

Re: Print wizard differences
Thanks Alan. I have requested this hot fix.

You say I can call and then you had a link to the hot fix. Will I get
something different if I call?

I am not getting any error messages, just no drives to install this printer.
Is this still the correct fix?

Thanks.

...Chip..

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You will need the system setup files that fix the problem
>

> Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.
>
> This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
> contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
> automatically install inbox drivers.
>

> Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
> Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
> your device"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Unless I am missing something on that link you provided it says the
>> drivers are built into Vista and gives no link to download them.
>>
>> "Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I assume that the laptop has OEM vista installed, and is likely a non HP
>>> laptop.
>>> If so, you may find that some of the printer drivers found on the retail
>>> versions are missing.
>>> (At least, this has been a common problem in the past.)
>>> The URL below should get you to the correct page to select and download
>>> the
>>> needed drivers.
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... lang=en&cc=us
>>>
>>> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> manufactures
>>> (which
>>> have

>>> it
>>> current

Charles Shapiro

Re: Print wizard differences
Its gets better. I download that hot fix (have not installed it yet).
There are more problems. This operating systems appears to be missing ALL
drivers. I tried to install the printer locally last night, it went to
Windows Update (where it could not find the driver). This morning while
trying something else I found on the MS KB, (kbprint KB158356). I inserted
two different thumb drives and it won't install those either, again it just
wants to go to Windows Update where it didn't find the drivers. XP has the
drivers for both of these thumb drives (I just used them yesterday at work
with no problem). The only time I ever had to download a driver for 1 of
these thumb drives when I was using it with WIN98!

Can I do a repair like I could with XP? Can I use MY Vista Ultimate DVD to
repair this Vista Business installation? Doesn't the DVD have ALL versions
on it?

Thanks.

...Chip..

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You will need the system setup files that fix the problem
>

> Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.
>
> This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
> contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
> automatically install inbox drivers.
>

> Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
> Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
> your device"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Unless I am missing something on that link you provided it says the
>> drivers are built into Vista and gives no link to download them.
>>
>> "Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I assume that the laptop has OEM vista installed, and is likely a non HP
>>> laptop.
>>> If so, you may find that some of the printer drivers found on the retail
>>> versions are missing.
>>> (At least, this has been a common problem in the past.)
>>> The URL below should get you to the correct page to select and download
>>> the
>>> needed drivers.
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... lang=en&cc=us
>>>
>>> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> manufactures
>>> (which
>>> have

>>> it
>>> current

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Print wizard differences
You need to install the setup fix. The issue you are experiencing is not a
printing issue even though what you first notice were no print drivers, all
drivers included in Vista on the machine are impacted.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Its gets better. I download that hot fix (have not installed it yet).
> There are more problems. This operating systems appears to be missing ALL
> drivers. I tried to install the printer locally last night, it went to
> Windows Update (where it could not find the driver). This morning while
> trying something else I found on the MS KB, (kbprint KB158356). I inserted
> two different thumb drives and it won't install those either, again it
> just wants to go to Windows Update where it didn't find the drivers. XP
> has the drivers for both of these thumb drives (I just used them yesterday
> at work with no problem). The only time I ever had to download a driver
> for 1 of these thumb drives when I was using it with WIN98!
>
> Can I do a repair like I could with XP? Can I use MY Vista Ultimate DVD
> to repair this Vista Business installation? Doesn't the DVD have ALL
> versions on it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ..Chip..
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You will need the system setup files that fix the problem
>>

>> Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.
>>
>> This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
>> contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will
>> not
>> automatically install inbox drivers.
>>

>> Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
>> Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
>> your device"
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Unless I am missing something on that link you provided it says the
>>> drivers are built into Vista and gives no link to download them.

Charles Shapiro

Re: Print wizard differences
THANK YOU! That was the answer. Installed that hotfix and those two items
and I am sure allot more fell into place. I was able to install one of my
network printers with no problem at all, and it installed both of my thumb
drives!

Thanks again!

> You need to install the setup fix. The issue you are experiencing is not
> a printing issue even though what you first notice were no print drivers,
> all drivers included in Vista on the machine are impacted.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Its gets better. I download that hot fix (have not installed it yet).
>> There are more problems. This operating systems appears to be missing
>> ALL drivers. I tried to install the printer locally last night, it went
>> to Windows Update (where it could not find the driver). This morning
>> while trying something else I found on the MS KB, (kbprint KB158356). I
>> inserted two different thumb drives and it won't install those either,
>> again it just wants to go to Windows Update where it didn't find the
>> drivers. XP has the drivers for both of these thumb drives (I just used
>> them yesterday at work with no problem). The only time I ever had to
>> download a driver for 1 of these thumb drives when I was using it with
>> WIN98!
>>
>> Can I do a repair like I could with XP? Can I use MY Vista Ultimate DVD
>> to repair this Vista Business installation? Doesn't the DVD have ALL
>> versions on it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ..Chip..
>>

>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> You will need the system setup files that fix the problem
>>>

>>> Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.
>>>
>>> This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
>>> contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will
>>> not
>>> automatically install inbox drivers.
>>>

>>> Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
>>> Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
>>> your device"
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
>>>

>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Print wizard differences
Thanks for giving the all clear. If Microsoft sent any kind of survey with
the hotfix could you please fill out any forms and say that the hotfix
addressed the issue.

Sorry for getting you off track by suggesting a call to MS. I never have
to get QFEs since I can go straight the person who fixed the problem (and
generally wrote the problem code as well).

Was the process fairly straight forward? Just an email request?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> THANK YOU! That was the answer. Installed that hotfix and those two
> items and I am sure allot more fell into place. I was able to install one
> of my network printers with no problem at all, and it installed both of my
> thumb drives!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> ..Chip..
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You need to install the setup fix. The issue you are experiencing is not
>> a printing issue even though what you first notice were no print drivers,
>> all drivers included in Vista on the machine are impacted.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Its gets better. I download that hot fix (have not installed it yet).
>>> There are more problems. This operating systems appears to be missing
>>> ALL drivers. I tried to install the printer locally last night, it went
>>> to Windows Update (where it could not find the driver). This morning
>>> while trying something else I found on the MS KB, (kbprint KB158356). I
>>> inserted two different thumb drives and it won't install those either,
>>> again it just wants to go to Windows Update where it didn't find the
>>> drivers. XP has the drivers for both of these thumb drives (I just used
>>> them yesterday at work with no problem). The only time I ever had to
>>> download a driver for 1 of these thumb drives when I was using it with
>>> WIN98!
>>>
>>> Can I do a repair like I could with XP? Can I use MY Vista Ultimate DVD
>>> to repair this Vista Business installation? Doesn't the DVD have ALL
>>> versions on it?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> ..Chip..

Charles Shapiro

> Thanks for giving the all clear. If Microsoft sent any kind of survey
> with the hotfix could you please fill out any forms and say that the
> hotfix addressed the issue.

No survery in the email.

> Sorry for getting you off track by suggesting a call to MS. I never have
> to get QFEs since I can go straight the person who fixed the problem (and
> generally wrote the problem code as well).
>
> Was the process fairly straight forward? Just an email request?

Yes, the email contains a password good for 7 days, just click on the
supplied link, download the files then double click to get the proocess
going put in the password when asked ( cut & paste)
it installs, reboots (installing the updates) and your done.

Thanks again.

...Chip..