Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium

Laurence

Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
I have just purchased a new computer from Dell and assumed I would have some
problems learning a new OS, but I did not anticipate the loss of a good
applet like Microsoft Fax. I counted on this small program for occasional
direct communication with other facilities fax machine. It was quick and
easy.
I have a second older Dell computer which I invested with hardware updates
in preparation for upgrading to Vista as well. The lack of fax capability in
Vista precludes my upgading as I need one machine that can function in a more
complete manner. I don't pretend to understand the rationale behind this
lack in Vista but I sorely miss the function. Others have teased me about my
early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I sincerely
hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least offer a
download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled and of
less value than intended.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan
Chuck

Re: Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
Microsoft has downgraded the fax functionality windows version by version
since they started using their own TCPIP stack.
I don't know if it is due to support cost, redevelopment cost, or a
concession to third party app developers.
In any event, there are 3d party fax apps that are inexpensive. It is also
supposedly possible to get the fax function to work via office outlook,
although I've not tried it. I'd poke around in the office newsgroup to see
if someone has solved your problem.

"Laurence" <Laurence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just purchased a new computer from Dell and assumed I would have

some
> problems learning a new OS, but I did not anticipate the loss of a good
> applet like Microsoft Fax. I counted on this small program for occasional
> direct communication with other facilities fax machine. It was quick and
> easy.
> I have a second older Dell computer which I invested with hardware updates
> in preparation for upgrading to Vista as well. The lack of fax capability

in
> Vista precludes my upgading as I need one machine that can function in a

more
> complete manner. I don't pretend to understand the rationale behind this
> lack in Vista but I sorely miss the function. Others have teased me about

my
> early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I sincerely
> hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least offer a
> download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
> Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled and

of
> less value than intended.
>
> ----------------

this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ndows.vista.pr
int_fax_scan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
Wrong on 2 counts: Vista Fax and Scan is a noticeable improvement over
Windows XP Fax and Windows 2000 Fax. Neither Office nor Outlook contain any
fax software.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft has downgraded the fax functionality windows version by version
> since they started using their own TCPIP stack.
> I don't know if it is due to support cost, redevelopment cost, or a
> concession to third party app developers.
> In any event, there are 3d party fax apps that are inexpensive. It is also
> supposedly possible to get the fax function to work via office outlook,
> although I've not tried it. I'd poke around in the office newsgroup to see
> if someone has solved your problem.
>
> "Laurence" <Laurence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have just purchased a new computer from Dell and assumed I would have

> some
>> problems learning a new OS, but I did not anticipate the loss of a good
>> applet like Microsoft Fax. I counted on this small program for
>> occasional
>> direct communication with other facilities fax machine. It was quick and
>> easy.
>> I have a second older Dell computer which I invested with hardware
>> updates
>> in preparation for upgrading to Vista as well. The lack of fax
>> capability

> in
>> Vista precludes my upgading as I need one machine that can function in a

> more
>> complete manner. I don't pretend to understand the rationale behind this
>> lack in Vista but I sorely miss the function. Others have teased me about

> my
>> early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I sincerely
>> hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least offer
>> download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
>> Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled
>> and

> of
>> less value than intended.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I

> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>

> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ndows.vista.pr
> int_fax_scan

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
"Laurence" <Laurence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just purchased a new computer from Dell and assumed I would have
>some
> problems learning a new OS, but I did not anticipate the loss of a good
> applet like Microsoft Fax. I counted on this small program for occasional
> direct communication with other facilities fax machine. It was quick and
> easy.
> I have a second older Dell computer which I invested with hardware updates
> in preparation for upgrading to Vista as well. The lack of fax capability
> in
> Vista precludes my upgading as I need one machine that can function in a
> more
> complete manner. I don't pretend to understand the rationale behind this
> lack in Vista but I sorely miss the function. Others have teased me about
> my
> early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I sincerely
> hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least offer a
> download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
> Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled and
> of
> less value than intended.

_scan

While you are waiting for MS to rethink Fax software in Vista Home Premium,
visit this website, download the trial, and if you like what you see, buy
it..

http://www.snappysoftware.com/

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Chuck

Re: Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
Actually MS HAS downgraded the fax software in several different ways since
2000 and 95.
When you installed the complete version of office with outlook you did get
full fax capability, although the install was somewhat problematic here and
there.
Networking fax was crippled in later versions. Modem control was crippled,
and the modem reply processor was crippled.
Some features were moved to the "server" versions.
The better 3d party fax apps generally had//have more features anyway.
HP, Brother, and Canon multi's to name 3 have fax programs included, and
those with networking built in usually have network fax available as well
for a limited number of users.

> [...]

> >> early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I

sincerely
> >> hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least

offer
> >> download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
> >> Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled
> >> and

> > of
> >> less value than intended.
> >>
> >> ----------------
> >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
> >> "I
> >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow

> > this
> >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

secretchef

Re: Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
I can fax from 3 old computers with 3.11 win 95 and win 98 and XP, before
that I seem to remember that I could fax from my Atari. What the heck is
going on with Vista? I thought I was purchasing an upgrade. Very poor.

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> "Laurence" <Laurence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just purchased a new computer from Dell and assumed I would have
> >some
> > problems learning a new OS, but I did not anticipate the loss of a good
> > applet like Microsoft Fax. I counted on this small program for occasional
> > direct communication with other facilities fax machine. It was quick and
> > easy.
> > I have a second older Dell computer which I invested with hardware updates
> > in preparation for upgrading to Vista as well. The lack of fax capability
> > in
> > Vista precludes my upgading as I need one machine that can function in a
> > more
> > complete manner. I don't pretend to understand the rationale behind this
> > lack in Vista but I sorely miss the function. Others have teased me about
> > my
> > early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I sincerely
> > hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least offer a
> > download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
> > Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled and
> > of
> > less value than intended.
> >

> _scan
>

> While you are waiting for MS to rethink Fax software in Vista Home Premium,
> visit this website, download the trial, and if you like what you see, buy
> it..
>
> http://www.snappysoftware.com/
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP

Hubert WEIL

Re: Loss of Fax capability with Vista Home Premium
Same problem...

I bought a Vista computer with a OLITEC fax/Modem..

The Modem works (very badfull) with AOL..
But not the FAX Software !!

Drivers Problems that OLITEC WILL NOT RESOLVE !!

Thanks...

"secretchef" <secretchef@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:AA494106-25C5-4CD4-A5EC-17F863BFB2C6@microsoft.com...
>I can fax from 3 old computers with 3.11 win 95 and win 98 and XP, before
> that I seem to remember that I could fax from my Atari. What the heck is
> going on with Vista? I thought I was purchasing an upgrade. Very poor.
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
>
>> "Laurence" <Laurence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just purchased a new computer from Dell and assumed I would have
>> >some
>> > problems learning a new OS, but I did not anticipate the loss of a good
>> > applet like Microsoft Fax. I counted on this small program for
>> > occasional
>> > direct communication with other facilities fax machine. It was quick
>> > and
>> > easy.
>> > I have a second older Dell computer which I invested with hardware
>> > updates
>> > in preparation for upgrading to Vista as well. The lack of fax
>> > capability
>> > in
>> > Vista precludes my upgading as I need one machine that can function in
>> > more
>> > complete manner. I don't pretend to understand the rationale behind
>> > this
>> > lack in Vista but I sorely miss the function. Others have teased me
>> > about
>> > my
>> > early adoption of Vista and now I am definitely embarrassed. I
>> > sincerely
>> > hope Microsoft will reconsider this situation and perhaps at least
>> > offer a
>> > download correction to improve the functionality of this Vista suite.
>> > Otherwise potential customers ought to consider this suite as crippled
>> > and
>> > of
>> > less value than intended.
>> >

>> _scan
>>

>> While you are waiting for MS to rethink Fax software in Vista Home
>> Premium,
>> visit this website, download the trial, and if you like what you see, buy
>> it..
>>
>> http://www.snappysoftware.com/
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP