Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Printer vanished and won't reinstall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
Paul H
 

Posts: n/a
Printer vanished and won't reinstall
I am currently running Vista Home Premium x64. I have a HP PSC 1610 and a
Samsung ML-4600 printer, both of which were working ok with vista until
recently. When switching either of the printers on, vista prompted that it
was installing new devices, even through they had been previously installed
and working ok. Each time vista says that it cannot find the drivers and
prompts me to use the drivers that were supplied. I have downloaded the
latest vista compatible drivers from the manufacturers website, but it still
does not recognise the printer and says installation failed. Both printers
have now disappeared from the printers control panel.

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printer vanished and won't reinstall
it sounds like the print spooler service is not running.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Paul H" <paulnospam@hewitt08nospam.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:84D3D9A9-40C0-45C8-AAA9-38A600D0A60B@microsoft.com...
>I am currently running Vista Home Premium x64. I have a HP PSC 1610 and a
>Samsung ML-4600 printer, both of which were working ok with vista until
>recently. When switching either of the printers on, vista prompted that it
>was installing new devices, even through they had been previously installed
>and working ok. Each time vista says that it cannot find the drivers and
>prompts me to use the drivers that were supplied. I have downloaded the
>latest vista compatible drivers from the manufacturers website, but it
>still does not recognise the printer and says installation failed. Both
>printers have now disappeared from the printers control panel.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Paul



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2008
Paul H
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printer vanished and won't reinstall
Checked and was working ok. Tried stopping and restarting but printer still
not recognised.

Paul


"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:umlvTuTWIHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> it sounds like the print spooler service is not running.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
> "Paul H" <paulnospam@hewitt08nospam.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:84D3D9A9-40C0-45C8-AAA9-38A600D0A60B@microsoft.com...
>>I am currently running Vista Home Premium x64. I have a HP PSC 1610 and a
>>Samsung ML-4600 printer, both of which were working ok with vista until
>>recently. When switching either of the printers on, vista prompted that
>>it was installing new devices, even through they had been previously
>>installed and working ok. Each time vista says that it cannot find the
>>drivers and prompts me to use the drivers that were supplied. I have
>>downloaded the latest vista compatible drivers from the manufacturers
>>website, but it still does not recognise the printer and says installation
>>failed. Both printers have now disappeared from the printers control
>>panel.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>>
>> Paul

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2008
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printer vanished and won't reinstall
Is the list of printers empty on the manufacture model page? If that's the
case you need to get the system setup files that address this issue.


Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.

This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
automatically install inbox drivers.



Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
your device"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187







--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Paul H" <paulnospam@hewitt08nospam.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:A1D8A555-2D8C-45B3-B846-AD019DD43E42@microsoft.com...
> Checked and was working ok. Tried stopping and restarting but printer
> still not recognised.
>
> Paul
>
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:umlvTuTWIHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> it sounds like the print spooler service is not running.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>>
>> "Paul H" <paulnospam@hewitt08nospam.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:84D3D9A9-40C0-45C8-AAA9-38A600D0A60B@microsoft.com...
>>>I am currently running Vista Home Premium x64. I have a HP PSC 1610 and
>>>a Samsung ML-4600 printer, both of which were working ok with vista until
>>>recently. When switching either of the printers on, vista prompted that
>>>it was installing new devices, even through they had been previously
>>>installed and working ok. Each time vista says that it cannot find the
>>>drivers and prompts me to use the drivers that were supplied. I have
>>>downloaded the latest vista compatible drivers from the manufacturers
>>>website, but it still does not recognise the printer and says
>>>installation failed. Both printers have now disappeared from the
>>>printers control panel.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated
>>>
>>> Paul

>>
>>

>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2008
Paul H
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printer vanished and won't reinstall
Yeah, the list of printers is empty. I shall give Microsoft a call in the
morning to get the bug fix.

Many Thanks for your help

Paul


"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:%23LkVg0FXIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Is the list of printers empty on the manufacture model page? If that's
> the case you need to get the system setup files that address this issue.
>
>
> Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.
>
> This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
> contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
> automatically install inbox drivers.
>
>
>
> Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
> Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
> your device"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
> "Paul H" <paulnospam@hewitt08nospam.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:A1D8A555-2D8C-45B3-B846-AD019DD43E42@microsoft.com...
>> Checked and was working ok. Tried stopping and restarting but printer
>> still not recognised.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>
>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:umlvTuTWIHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> it sounds like the print spooler service is not running.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>>>
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Paul H" <paulnospam@hewitt08nospam.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> news:84D3D9A9-40C0-45C8-AAA9-38A600D0A60B@microsoft.com...
>>>>I am currently running Vista Home Premium x64. I have a HP PSC 1610 and
>>>>a Samsung ML-4600 printer, both of which were working ok with vista
>>>>until recently. When switching either of the printers on, vista
>>>>prompted that it was installing new devices, even through they had been
>>>>previously installed and working ok. Each time vista says that it
>>>>cannot find the drivers and prompts me to use the drivers that were
>>>>supplied. I have downloaded the latest vista compatible drivers from
>>>>the manufacturers website, but it still does not recognise the printer
>>>>and says installation failed. Both printers have now disappeared from
>>>>the printers control panel.
>>>>
>>>> Any help would be appreciated
>>>>
>>>> Paul
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Vista Gnavicks microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 26 11-29-2009 17:03
NG replies have vanished Rob microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 10-10-2007 14:14
Microphone vanished! Shilps microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 16 08-09-2007 22:42
Taskbar vanished Sheryl microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-18-2007 00:23
Upgrade to Viasta Ultimte - Fine - Reinstall requires XP reinstall =?Utf-8?B?amhvZWx6?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 03-01-2007 03:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:39.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120