Vista and HP PSC 500

John

Vista and HP PSC 500
HELP!!!

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 running Vista home premium. When I
attempted to install my old HP PSC 500 all in one I was unable to do so due
to a driver problem. Initially, I solved the parallel port problem by
installing a new parallel port card in the dell tower (problem solved for
that one). However, I have been unable to get Vista to accept the PSC 500.

I went to Dell and HP's websites and was informed at both that the driver
for this printer is already installed on Vista. Using the "install a new
printer" function does not work. It gives the message that I need to
download the proper driver from HP.

I'm obviously going in circles. Given that #1-I am not gifted with
exceptional computer setup skills, and #2-I place a value on my time, my
question ultimately is this. Can this problem be resolved or should I break
down and buy new? This has been a very good printer. It doesn't drink ink,
has never broken down and in general was a workhorse while I worked my way
through grad school.

If you think option #2 is best, what's the best brand these days?

Thanks.
SG

Re: Vista and HP PSC 500
Hi,

I'm confused by your post as to why you installed a parallel port card when
according to HP your PSC 500 uses USB.

--
All the best,
SG
> HELP!!!
>
> I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 running Vista home premium. When
> attempted to install my old HP PSC 500 all in one I was unable to do so
> due
> to a driver problem. Initially, I solved the parallel port problem by
> installing a new parallel port card in the dell tower (problem solved for
> that one). However, I have been unable to get Vista to accept the PSC
> 500.
>
> I went to Dell and HP's websites and was informed at both that the driver
> for this printer is already installed on Vista. Using the "install a new
> printer" function does not work. It gives the message that I need to
> download the proper driver from HP.
>
> I'm obviously going in circles. Given that #1-I am not gifted with
> exceptional computer setup skills, and #2-I place a value on my time, my
> question ultimately is this. Can this problem be resolved or should I
> break
> down and buy new? This has been a very good printer. It doesn't drink
> ink,
> has never broken down and in general was a workhorse while I worked my way
> through grad school.
>
> If you think option #2 is best, what's the best brand these days?
>
> Thanks.

Phillip Schlueter

Re: Vista and HP PSC 500
I have an HP PSC 500 and it installed itself (Vista 32 Ultimate) so not sure
why you are having problems. I purchased mine when XP came out and the
software was immediately out of date and HP never provided new software, but
since it's TWAIN compatible there wasn't any problem getting it to work.
You could try deleting the printer in your control panel and then rescan for
new hardware. You should also check to see if your PORT is the DOT 4 port
and not the LPT1 port. The PSC 500 is a parallel printer and not USB as
suggested by another poster.

Phil

> HELP!!!
>
> I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 running Vista home premium. When
> attempted to install my old HP PSC 500 all in one I was unable to do so
> due
> to a driver problem. Initially, I solved the parallel port problem by
> installing a new parallel port card in the dell tower (problem solved for
> that one). However, I have been unable to get Vista to accept the PSC
> 500.
>
> I went to Dell and HP's websites and was informed at both that the driver
> for this printer is already installed on Vista. Using the "install a new
> printer" function does not work. It gives the message that I need to
> download the proper driver from HP.
>
> I'm obviously going in circles. Given that #1-I am not gifted with
> exceptional computer setup skills, and #2-I place a value on my time, my
> question ultimately is this. Can this problem be resolved or should I
> break
> down and buy new? This has been a very good printer. It doesn't drink
> ink,
> has never broken down and in general was a workhorse while I worked my way
> through grad school.
>
> If you think option #2 is best, what's the best brand these days?
>
> Thanks.

Malke

Re: Vista and HP PSC 500 - *SPAM* tack-on
lucyrssll wrote:

Spam. Reported.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista and HP PSC 500 - *SPAM* tack-on
no brownie points on this one.

I need ink cartridges.

am sure others do as well..

to bad.
the SPAM messages do not count toward mvp credentials.

a REAL mvp would know how to get messages removed.

give it up , you do not make a good net nanny.
fake queeny's never do.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:upMLc%23T$IHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
lucyrssll wrote: