Printing a TIF file

Benzmum

Printing a TIF file
I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page tif
file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to print from
Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and then
prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.

I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving problems
and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to print a
decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?
Dave

Re: Printing a TIF file
You might try IrfanView... http://www.irfanview.net/
It will let you view, edit & print all kinds of files.

I just scanned 4 pages into a tiff, using Vuescan...
Opened IrfanView, File -Print
select printer, portrait, size, print all pages, etc.
print

It printed just fine.

Although, I tried printing this same file with Windows Photo Gallery & W.
Live Photo Gallery, and they both printed it ok.

Did you create this multi-page tiff? Perhaps it's corrupt, or was scanned
using a different page size, etc.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Benzmum" <Benzmum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page
> tif
> file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to print
> from
> Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and then
> prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.
>
> I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving problems
> and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to print
> decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?

Benzmum

Re: Printing a TIF file
I received the file as a fax on my old desktop computer, then moved it over
to my laptop running Vista (which doesn't have the fax feature). It prints
fine from my old XP machine, but not using any of the software on Vista. Nor
does it look as good on Vista - the screen view quality's degraded.

Is IrfanView a highly-respected piece of software, Dave? I'm a bit skittish
about freeware unless it's been widely recommended.

"Dave" wrote:

> You might try IrfanView... http://www.irfanview.net/
> It will let you view, edit & print all kinds of files.
>
> I just scanned 4 pages into a tiff, using Vuescan...
> Opened IrfanView, File -Print
> select printer, portrait, size, print all pages, etc.
> print
>
> It printed just fine.
>
> Although, I tried printing this same file with Windows Photo Gallery & W.
> Live Photo Gallery, and they both printed it ok.
>
> Did you create this multi-page tiff? Perhaps it's corrupt, or was scanned
> using a different page size, etc.
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> "Benzmum" <Benzmum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page
> > tif
> > file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to print
> > from
> > Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and then
> > prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.
> >
> > I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving problems
> > and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to print
> > decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?

Dave

Re: Printing a TIF file
IrfanView is a highly recommended program. I've been using it for years.
Also get the plugins.

--

> I received the file as a fax on my old desktop computer, then moved it
> over
> to my laptop running Vista (which doesn't have the fax feature). It prints
> fine from my old XP machine, but not using any of the software on Vista.
> Nor
> does it look as good on Vista - the screen view quality's degraded.
>
> Is IrfanView a highly-respected piece of software, Dave? I'm a bit
> skittish
> about freeware unless it's been widely recommended.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> You might try IrfanView... http://www.irfanview.net/
>> It will let you view, edit & print all kinds of files.
>>
>> I just scanned 4 pages into a tiff, using Vuescan...
>> Opened IrfanView, File -Print
>> select printer, portrait, size, print all pages, etc.
>> print
>>
>> It printed just fine.
>>
>> Although, I tried printing this same file with Windows Photo Gallery & W.
>> Live Photo Gallery, and they both printed it ok.
>>
>> Did you create this multi-page tiff? Perhaps it's corrupt, or was
>> scanned
>> using a different page size, etc.
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> "Benzmum" <Benzmum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page
>> > tif
>> > file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to
>> > print
>> > from
>> > Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and
>> > then
>> > prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.
>> >
>> > I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving
>> > problems
>> > and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to
>> > print
>> > decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?

beccabell78

Re: Printing a TIF file

Thanks Dave! Installed InFranView and it works like a charm! Ciao

--
beccabell78
IanJa

Re: Printing a TIF file

Fixed in Vista Service Pack 2, which will be available in a few months.

--
IanJa
tpretz

Re: Printing a TIF file

Benzmum;575080 Wrote:
> I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page
> tif
> file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to
> print from
> Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and
> then
> prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.
>
> I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving
> problems
> and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to
> print a
> decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?

I agree with you. I work from home and my 8 hour work days have turned
into 12 hour work days for the past 2 weeks since I got this new
computer with Vista Home Premium on it. Nothing is easy with this
software and it seems you have to go roundabout ways to do anything. I
have not heard or seen one good thing about this product.

--
tpretz
Peter

Re: Printing a TIF file
You might try IrfanView... http://www.irfanview.net/
It will let you view, edit & print all kinds of files.

Or...

You may want to print these instruction and please pass on to anyone you
know who may be having this problem.

I went to www.bravareader.com/downloadreader.htm and downloaded the free
reader on the left side of the screen

Then to associate the tif file with the reader I did the following:

Click on Start in lower LH corner
Left click on Default programs
Left click on Associate file type or protocol with a program
Wait a few seconds while it loads
Scroll down to .tif and click on it
Left click on Change Program at top right
Click on Browse
Scroll down to IGC folder and left double click the folder

Left double click on Brava Reader folder
Single left click on Brava Reader at the bottom
Click Open at lower right hand corner

Click OK and wait while the program finishes
You should now see Brava Reader next to the tif file in the list
Click on close and you are done!

But please note that rumours have it that this issue is fixed in the
upcoming Vista Service Pack 2.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"tpretz" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Benzmum;575080 Wrote:
>> I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page
>> tif
>> file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to
>> print from
>> Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and
>> then
>> prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.
>>
>> I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving
>> problems
>> and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to
>> print a
>> decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?

> I agree with you. I work from home and my 8 hour work days have turned
> into 12 hour work days for the past 2 weeks since I got this new
> computer with Vista Home Premium on it. Nothing is easy with this
> software and it seems you have to go roundabout ways to do anything. I
> have not heard or seen one good thing about this product.
>

> --
> tpretz

Tae Song

Re: Printing a TIF file

"tpretz" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Benzmum;575080 Wrote:
>> I've tried everything conceivable to get a decent print-out of a 4-page
>> tif
>> file I have, to no avail. I have Vista Home Premium. When I try to
>> print from
>> Windows Photo Gallery, it turns my tif into landscape orientation and
>> then
>> prints only the middle part and the output is distorted.
>>
>> I am so frustrated with Vista. I'm sending 3/4 of my time solving
>> problems
>> and getting very little work done. Can someone please tell me how to
>> print a
>> decent copy of a 4-page tif file in Vista?

> I agree with you. I work from home and my 8 hour work days have turned
> into 12 hour work days for the past 2 weeks since I got this new
> computer with Vista Home Premium on it. Nothing is easy with this
> software and it seems you have to go roundabout ways to do anything. I
> have not heard or seen one good thing about this product.
>

> --
> tpretz

You will seldom hear praise for something that works the way it's expected
to.

Windows Vista has it's problems, but not all of it is Microsoft's fault.

It's just the learning curve.