Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/)
-   microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-print-fax-scan/)
-   -   print driver successfully installed but still a problem with print (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-print-fax-scan/176736-print-driver-successfully-installed-but-still-problem-print.html)

chiefjay 01-13-2008 02:23

print driver successfully installed but still a problem with print

I own a Dell XPS 410 running 32 bit Vista Ultimate. I have a HP Laserjet 4L
parallel printer that I am trying to connect to the XPS 410. Because the
printer has a parallel cable, it was necessary for me to buy a USB/Parallel
adapter to contact the PC to the printer. I attempted to use the "add a
printer" facility and my system successfully found a driver for the printer.
However, there is some kind of a problem and the printer won't print. I
opened device Manager and there is a yellow exclamation point next to the
icon for "USB Printing Support". When I clicked it, it said "This device
cannot start (Code 10). Click "Check for Solutions" to send data about this
device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available". Below that
was a button labeled "check for solutions". When I clicked that button, a new
dialog box popped out and asked "Do you want to send more info about the
problem? Additional details about what went wrong can help Microsoft create a
solution" I clicked "send information". There was also another button on the
same dialog box that had additional details. When I clicked that button, the
following was written: "Windows was able to successfully install device
driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried
to run. The problem code is 10".
Does anyone have a clue as to what might be the problem?
Thanks
chief Jay

Alan Morris [MSFT] 01-14-2008 18:54

Re: print driver successfully installed but still a problem with print

What hardware is the USB to parallel cable? I know the 4L will work with a
Belkin F5U002 cable because I have this configuration. I only will use this
cable since it has a proven track record for me when other cables have
failed.

The hardware in your cable may need some device drivers so check the vendor
site for Vista drivers.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

chiefjay 01-15-2008 14:53

Re: print driver successfully installed but still a problem with p

I bought the cable on EBay from a Hong Kong based company called Pointing
Mouse. I guess I thought that all cables are created equally. There is a
diskette that came with the cable, but there is a notation that no drivers
are needed with windows Vista, so I didn't fully examine the files on the
diskette. I guess it will be ncessary to go out and find the Belkin cable
that you suggested. By the way, do you have any idea what "problem code 10"
is?
chief jay

Alan Morris [MSFT] 01-15-2008 20:14

Re: print driver successfully installed but still a problem with p

the spooler does not report this it's from device manager.

The USB Controller Is Not Recognized and a Code 10 Error Message
Appears in Device Manager
(297511) - On a computer whose motherboard has a Silicon Integrated
Systems (SIS) chipset, Device Manager may display the following error
message for the USB controller: Code 10 - the device cannot start. ...
However, the controller reverts to the "code 10" status when you restart the
computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297511/en-us