Drivers won't install

Speedracer

Drivers won't install
Still trying to get my HP 895 Cxi printer working. I have looked at other
posts but my problem is different. I tried installing a different printer
(Canon Pixma 6600) The computer recognizes it and begins installation of the
driver but before it completes the task the same error comes up as with the
HP " encountered an error". So I went into the control panel and manually
selected various printer drivers and tried to install them. None of them
worked. They all come up with the same error.
I am baffled as to whats happening. Did Vista not install properly?

Tom Ferguson

Re: Drivers won't install
Is that the full and exact wording of the error message?

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Still trying to get my HP 895 Cxi printer working. I have looked at other
> posts but my problem is different. I tried installing a different printer
> (Canon Pixma 6600) The computer recognizes it and begins installation of
> the
> driver but before it completes the task the same error comes up as with
> the
> HP " encountered an error". So I went into the control panel and manually
> selected various printer drivers and tried to install them. None of them
> worked. They all come up with the same error.
> I am baffled as to whats happening. Did Vista not install properly?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Drivers won't install
this is one of those printers that has multiple drivers using the same
hardware ID. Did you get a prompt asking which of the 2 models you have?

Will the printer install if you run Add Printer as administrator

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> this is one of those printers that has multiple drivers using the same
> hardware ID. Did you get a prompt asking which of the 2 models you have?
>
> Will the printer install if you run Add Printer as administrator
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is that the full and exact wording of the error message?
> >
> > Tom
> > MSMVP 1998-2007
> >
> > "Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Still trying to get my HP 895 Cxi printer working. I have looked at
> >> other
> >> posts but my problem is different. I tried installing a different printer
> >> (Canon Pixma 6600) The computer recognizes it and begins installation of
> >> the
> >> driver but before it completes the task the same error comes up as with
> >> the
> >> HP " encountered an error". So I went into the control panel and manually
> >> selected various printer drivers and tried to install them. None of them
> >> worked. They all come up with the same error.
> >> I am baffled as to whats happening. Did Vista not install properly?
> >>

> The complete message reads:

"The following hardware was not installed
HP Deskjet 895Cxi
An error ocurred during the installation of this device.
One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at
this time. "

There is another choice of a driver for another 895 model but it does the
same thing. Even if I try installing random drivers from the "Add Hardware"
in the control panel they all come up with this identical message.
Alan, what do you mean by using add printer as the administrator? Is this
not what I am doing by going into the control panel, choosing "add hardware",
selecting "printers" and manually choosing and installing them. I will admit
I am a bit computer illiterate and I do appreciate everyones input.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Drivers won't install
To "Run as Administrator": Right click on the setup.exe (or install.exe) file,
and select "Run as Administrator" (also known as "Run Elevated").

Even though you are logged on as an administrator, you are actually an
"administrative user", and to run tasks as a true administrator, you must
perform the above procedure.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> this is one of those printers that has multiple drivers using the same
>> hardware ID. Did you get a prompt asking which of the 2 models you have?
>>
>> Will the printer install if you run Add Printer as administrator
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>>
>> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Is that the full and exact wording of the error message?
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > MSMVP 1998-2007
>> >
>> > "Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> The complete message reads:

> "The following hardware was not installed
> HP Deskjet 895Cxi
> An error ocurred during the installation of this device.
> One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at
> this time. "
>
> There is another choice of a driver for another 895 model but it does the
> same thing. Even if I try installing random drivers from the "Add Hardware"
> in the control panel they all come up with this identical message.
> Alan, what do you mean by using add printer as the administrator? Is this
> not what I am doing by going into the control panel, choosing "add hardware",
> selecting "printers" and manually choosing and installing them. I will admit
> I am a bit computer illiterate and I do appreciate everyones input.

Tom Ferguson

Re: Drivers won't install
At this point, I would suggest backing up all your user files and, if
possible, taking a disk image or full backup. Then, I would use system
restore to set the system back to a date before the install failures began.
Next, I would try installing the printer again.

However, that is based on a guess as to the state of the system now rather
than any definite knowledge. It seems to be a Windows installer message and
appears whether it is the HP or Canon you try to install.

At any rate, I would first see what Alan might suggest next. Those of us who
think they know what they are talking about should at least listen to those
who actually do. ;-) He is busy, and if he has a life, possible he won't be
able to reply until early next week. <g>

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> this is one of those printers that has multiple drivers using the same
>> hardware ID. Did you get a prompt asking which of the 2 models you have?
>>
>> Will the printer install if you run Add Printer as administrator
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Is that the full and exact wording of the error message?
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > MSMVP 1998-2007
>> >
>> > "Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> The complete message reads:

> "The following hardware was not installed
> HP Deskjet 895Cxi
> An error ocurred during the installation of this device.
> One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at
> this time. "
>
> There is another choice of a driver for another 895 model but it does the
> same thing. Even if I try installing random drivers from the "Add
> Hardware"
> in the control panel they all come up with this identical message.
> Alan, what do you mean by using add printer as the administrator? Is this
> not what I am doing by going into the control panel, choosing "add
> hardware",
> selecting "printers" and manually choosing and installing them. I will
> admit
> I am a bit computer illiterate and I do appreciate everyones input.

James

Re: Drivers won't install
Tom,

I read the posts on this newsgroup most every day in the hopes of finding a
solution to a problem I have with my old Epson CX6400, and have received
some pretty "wild" answers.

Today I read your post (below) and decided I'd like to live next door to
you -- would enjoy having you as a "neighbor" after you typed, "Those of us
who think they know what they are talking about should at least listen to
those who actually do.", in your last paragraph.

I would like to have your permission to send that "quote" out to everyone on
my e-mail list. I promise to only use your first name. The text of that
e-mail would read as follows:
-----
WORDS OF WISDOM

Those of us who think they know what they are talking about should at least
listen to those who actually do.

Tom (Microsoft Windows Printers Newsgroup)
-----
Thanks, and have a Great Day.

James
-----
> At this point, I would suggest backing up all your user files and, if
> possible, taking a disk image or full backup. Then, I would use system
> restore to set the system back to a date before the install failures
> began. Next, I would try installing the printer again.
>
> However, that is based on a guess as to the state of the system now rather
> than any definite knowledge. It seems to be a Windows installer message
> and appears whether it is the HP or Canon you try to install.
>
> At any rate, I would first see what Alan might suggest next. Those of us
> who think they know what they are talking about should at least listen to
> those who actually do. ;-) He is busy, and if he has a life, possible he
> won't be able to reply until early next week. <g>
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> this is one of those printers that has multiple drivers using the same
>>> hardware ID. Did you get a prompt asking which of the 2 models you
>>> have?
>>>
>>> Will the printer install if you run Add Printer as administrator
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The complete message reads:

>> "The following hardware was not installed
>> HP Deskjet 895Cxi
>> An error ocurred during the installation of this device.
>> One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at
>> this time. "
>>
>> There is another choice of a driver for another 895 model but it does the
>> same thing. Even if I try installing random drivers from the "Add
>> Hardware"
>> in the control panel they all come up with this identical message.
>> Alan, what do you mean by using add printer as the administrator? Is this
>> not what I am doing by going into the control panel, choosing "add
>> hardware",
>> selecting "printers" and manually choosing and installing them. I will
>> admit
>> I am a bit computer illiterate and I do appreciate everyones input.

Tom Ferguson

Re: Drivers won't install
No problem. However, the thought is not totally original. Someone once said
that the art of originality consisted of remembering what was said but
forgetting who said it <g>

Tom

"James" <James@home> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> HP Deskjet 895Cxi
>>> An error ocurred during the installation of this device.
>>> One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at
>>> this time. "
>>>
>>> There is another choice of a driver for another 895 model but it does
>>> the
>>> same thing. Even if I try installing random drivers from the "Add
>>> Hardware"
>>> in the control panel they all come up with this identical message.
>>> Alan, what do you mean by using add printer as the administrator? Is
>>> this
>>> not what I am doing by going into the control panel, choosing "add
>>> hardware",
>>> selecting "printers" and manually choosing and installing them. I will
>>> admit
>>> I am a bit computer illiterate and I do appreciate everyones input.

I've never added a printer from the Hardware Wizard.

Open the Printers Folder

Select Add Printer (in the folder)
Right Click, Run as administrator

You will be prompted for elevation
Allow

Add local printer
Use an existing port
Select the USB00? port that should have been created when you plugged the
device to the USB port. If this is printing to LPT1 select the lpt port.
(Sorry I don't recall which interface the device has).

Select the HP driver from the manufacture model page.
I selected the DeskJet 895Cxi

Share the printer? You decide.

Print Test page Yes let's verify it works.

Let me know where along the path you experience a problem.

thanks

I am busy, but I come here to make a difference. I like to lend a hand and
even track down issues when you report them.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> At this point, I would suggest backing up all your user files and, if
> possible, taking a disk image or full backup. Then, I would use system
> restore to set the system back to a date before the install failures
> began. Next, I would try installing the printer again.
>
> However, that is based on a guess as to the state of the system now rather
> than any definite knowledge. It seems to be a Windows installer message
> and appears whether it is the HP or Canon you try to install.
>
> At any rate, I would first see what Alan might suggest next. Those of us
> who think they know what they are talking about should at least listen to
> those who actually do. ;-) He is busy, and if he has a life, possible he
> won't be able to reply until early next week. <g>
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Speedracer" <Speedracer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> this is one of those printers that has multiple drivers using the same
>>> hardware ID. Did you get a prompt asking which of the 2 models you
>>> have?
>>>
>>> Will the printer install if you run Add Printer as administrator
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The complete message reads:

>> "The following hardware was not installed
>> HP Deskjet 895Cxi
>> An error ocurred during the installation of this device.
>> One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at
>> this time. "
>>
>> There is another choice of a driver for another 895 model but it does the
>> same thing. Even if I try installing random drivers from the "Add
>> Hardware"
>> in the control panel they all come up with this identical message.
>> Alan, what do you mean by using add printer as the administrator? Is this
>> not what I am doing by going into the control panel, choosing "add
>> hardware",
>> selecting "printers" and manually choosing and installing them. I will
>> admit
>> I am a bit computer illiterate and I do appreciate everyones input.

Speedracer

Re: Drivers won't install
When I select Add Printer, I get this message:

"Windows can't open add printer. The local print spooler service is not
running. Please restart the spooler, or restart the machine."

Restarting the machine makes no difference.