Device Drivers

=?Utf-8?B?am9obkB1dmFjaWRlLmNvbQ==?=

Device Drivers
While I think generally the Vista experience is pretty good, lack of support
by manufacturers for timely repsonse to AT LEAST the level of functionality
before switching to Vista is deplorable. This is a definite image
hit/customer relations nightmare for the entire WINTEL complex!
Manufacturers, we consumers that create the very platform that you
survive/thrive on are entitled to a better experience than that which you
have collectively provided. Microsoft was VERY late in releasing Vista which
means device makers you had no excuse to not have drivers avaialble BEFORE
commerical readiness of Vista to businesses and individuals.
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Device Drivers
The consensus among manufacturers appeared to be a 'let's wait for the final
release before doing much'.. this had to be a recipe for disaster..

Add to that users having to acclimatize to the new security measures which
inevitably make some processes a little slower until such time as a better
way to implement can be found, and we are looking at a bigger disaster..

It has to be remembered, however, that many have virtually no problems at
all.. it has come down to the luck of the draw almost.. I was one of the
lucky ones.. everything other than Nero worked for me.. my combination of
hardware was better supported than some, but I knew that already as I had
checked.. I also had a good idea of what software would not work, and
deliberately kept an installation of XP, such that I could use some stuff if
absolutely necessary.. I have not had to return to XP..

Nobody should ever upgrade an OS without checking that all important stuff
will work afterwards.. nobody should go out and buy a new system with Vista
loaded without checking first that programs they already have and will want
to use are Vista compatible.. this in itself will be a recipe for disaster..

Eventually, sooner for some than others unfortunately, and with the help of
manufacturers, Vista will become everything that XP was and more, but for
now, the industry seems to be in turmoil.. very sad..

"john@uvacide.com" <johnuvacidecom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:59FAC9E9-36B5-4DDA-8DE1-3187217F9D24@microsoft.com...

--

Mike Hall