Printer Keeps reinstalling...

gmaof3

Printer Keeps reinstalling...
I have an HP4200 series all in one at home and the same printer at work. I
use a laptop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Most of the time my computer
tries to reinstall the printer when I move from one printer to the other, or
if I disconnect from one of the printers and then reconnect, it does the same
thing- tries to
reinstall. Sometimes I end up with 3 or more copies of the same printer being
installed.

I've deleted the printers and the printer files and downloaded the latest
drivers. That seemed to make a difference for a while, but now it wants to
reinstall when I connect to the printer.

When I disconnect from a printer, I usually just unplug the USB cable. I
have a feeling I should be doing something differently...

Any ideas?

RaisingAlexis

RE: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
I am having this same problem with my HP 6210 series. Will be watching this
post to see what the solution is.

"gmaof3" wrote:

> I have an HP4200 series all in one at home and the same printer at work. I
> use a laptop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Most of the time my computer
> tries to reinstall the printer when I move from one printer to the other, or
> if I disconnect from one of the printers and then reconnect, it does the same
> thing- tries to
> reinstall. Sometimes I end up with 3 or more copies of the same printer being
> installed.
>
> I've deleted the printers and the printer files and downloaded the latest
> drivers. That seemed to make a difference for a while, but now it wants to
> reinstall when I connect to the printer.
>
> When I disconnect from a printer, I usually just unplug the USB cable. I
> have a feeling I should be doing something differently...
>
> Any ideas?

lucy

RE: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
Me too - HP PSC 1310 Series

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
It's not necessarily something that you are doing wrong. Some USB devices
have a unique ID encoded in their hardware so that Windows can recognize
that the same device that was previously connected, has been reconnected.
If that unique ID is not present, Windows does not know that it is not the
same device and will always try to reinstall the drivers (asking for their
location if necessary). It's not possible to tell from looking at a printer
whether or not it has that unique ID, only HP would know.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"RaisingAlexis" <RaisingAlexis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having this same problem with my HP 6210 series. Will be watching
>this
> post to see what the solution is.
>

> "gmaof3" wrote:
>
>> I have an HP4200 series all in one at home and the same printer at work.
>> use a laptop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Most of the time my computer
>> tries to reinstall the printer when I move from one printer to the other,
>> or
>> if I disconnect from one of the printers and then reconnect, it does the
>> same
>> thing- tries to
>> reinstall. Sometimes I end up with 3 or more copies of the same printer
>> being
>> installed.
>>
>> I've deleted the printers and the printer files and downloaded the latest
>> drivers. That seemed to make a difference for a while, but now it wants
>> reinstall when I connect to the printer.
>>
>> When I disconnect from a printer, I usually just unplug the USB cable. I
>> have a feeling I should be doing something differently...
>>
>> Any ideas?

lucy

RE: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
I went to the HP website and emailed tech support regarding the problem, they
emaiedl me back with (quite a few pages) instructions on how to fix it.
huwyngr

Re: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
In article <FFA045F8-3E6D-43FC-8FA7-408E3C9822D2@microsoft.com>, Lucy
wrote:

> they*
> emaiedl me back with (quite a few pages) instructions on how to fix it.

Can you give us an idea of what they said to do? Or point to any of their
documents?

lucy

Re: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
I run VISTA now, and this is an outline of sorts, of what HP wrote:
1) Turn off the Terminate and Stay Resident programs MSCONFIG in VISTA.
2) Disable HP device discovery service.
3) Uninstall the All-In-One software.
4) Turn off firewall and antivirus.
5) Reinstall the latest software for the All-In-One.
Hope this helps.
huwyngr

Re: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
Yes that is a help and I can see why <s>

Did they also say to install the software before plugging in the
printer? With USB connections that is usually essential. I've just had
confirmation somewhere else that observing this sequence made the
difference.

lucy

"huwyngr" wrote:

Did they also say to install the software before plugging in the
printer?

No mention of that.
Glad it helped!
huwyngr

Re: Printer Keeps reinstalling...
In article <4CC2544A-7B90-4002-AF6B-B1F9CA545D81@microsoft.com>, Lucy
wrote:

> *Did they also say to install the software before plugging in the*
> *printer?*
>
> No mention of that.

I suggest you adopt it as standard practice when installing USB
connected devices. This is particularly the case when there is a driver
supplied with VISTA "out of the box" since these are often much less
featured than the ones that came along later when the hardware
manufacturers started to catch up and issued complete software packages
for VISTA.

If you just plug the printer in, VISTA will immediately install its
built in driver without asking you and then when you come to install
the later version it finds one already there and does not seem to adopt
the "I am newer so I'll replace it".

Thanks again for the help.