Networked HP Printer Problem

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEMyMg==?=

Networked HP Printer Problem
I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
first day.

Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
and give an unidentified error.

I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
on the network can print no problems.

=?Utf-8?B?c2lkaQ==?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
i am wondering if we are havin the same issue.
Just for troubleshooting right click on the printer icon in the printers
folder and chose run elevated or run as administrator.
Then chose properties and send a test page.

If the page prints fine from there we may be having the same problem.
I have been able to work around disabling User account control but i don't
have a final fix yet.

Thanks,

"Jon C22" wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
> installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
> first day.
>
> Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
> administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
> and give an unidentified error.
>
> I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
> on the network can print no problems.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEMyMg==?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
No sorry. I am running as admin and still no print. I tried your the
procedure you outlined below and still no luck. I feel it must be a problem
with the driver.

Thanks

"sidi" wrote:

> i am wondering if we are havin the same issue.
> Just for troubleshooting right click on the printer icon in the printers
> folder and chose run elevated or run as administrator.
> Then chose properties and send a test page.
>
> If the page prints fine from there we may be having the same problem.
> I have been able to work around disabling User account control but i don't
> have a final fix yet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Jon C22" wrote:
>
> > I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
> > installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
> > first day.
> >
> > Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
> > administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
> > and give an unidentified error.
> >
> > I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
> > on the network can print no problems.

=?Utf-8?B?c2lkaQ==?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
As a last resort if you are using the vendor's port you may want to try
adding a standard tcp/ip port and enter the ip address yourself through the
wizard.

Something to try....

Sorry
--
First, plug it in.

"Jon C22" wrote:

> No sorry. I am running as admin and still no print. I tried your the
> procedure you outlined below and still no luck. I feel it must be a problem
> with the driver.
>
> Thanks
>
> "sidi" wrote:
>
> > i am wondering if we are havin the same issue.
> > Just for troubleshooting right click on the printer icon in the printers
> > folder and chose run elevated or run as administrator.
> > Then chose properties and send a test page.
> >
> > If the page prints fine from there we may be having the same problem.
> > I have been able to work around disabling User account control but i don't
> > have a final fix yet.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > "Jon C22" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
> > > installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
> > > first day.
> > >
> > > Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
> > > administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
> > > and give an unidentified error.
> > >
> > > I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
> > > on the network can print no problems.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Networked HP Printer Problem
If the IP of the printer changed, the jobs will fail. Scan the network
again or add a port that uses the hostname instead of static address.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"sidi" <sidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As a last resort if you are using the vendor's port you may want to try
> adding a standard tcp/ip port and enter the ip address yourself through
> the
> wizard.
>
> Something to try....
>
> Sorry
> --
> First, plug it in.
>

> "Jon C22" wrote:
>
>> No sorry. I am running as admin and still no print. I tried your the
>> procedure you outlined below and still no luck. I feel it must be a
>> problem
>> with the driver.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "sidi" wrote:
>>
>> > i am wondering if we are havin the same issue.
>> > Just for troubleshooting right click on the printer icon in the
>> > printers
>> > folder and chose run elevated or run as administrator.
>> > Then chose properties and send a test page.
>> >
>> > If the page prints fine from there we may be having the same problem.
>> > I have been able to work around disabling User account control but i
>> > don't
>> > have a final fix yet.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

=?Utf-8?B?cm9iZXJ0czc0NTk=?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
If you are using a USB port make sure you select that port before trying to
print.

"Jon C22" wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
> installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
> first day.
>
> Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
> administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
> and give an unidentified error.
>
> I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
> on the network can print no problems.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEMyMg==?=

Re: Networked HP Printer Problem
IP is static. I can comunicate with the printer using the IP address in a
browser but print jobs still indicate "error-printing".

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> If the IP of the printer changed, the jobs will fail. Scan the network
> again or add a port that uses the hostname instead of static address.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "sidi" <sidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As a last resort if you are using the vendor's port you may want to try
> > adding a standard tcp/ip port and enter the ip address yourself through
> > the
> > wizard.
> >
> > Something to try....
> >
> > Sorry
> > --
> > First, plug it in.
> >

> > "Jon C22" wrote:
> >
> >> No sorry. I am running as admin and still no print. I tried your the
> >> procedure you outlined below and still no luck. I feel it must be a
> >> problem
> >> with the driver.
> >>
> >> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEMyMg==?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
Not a USB printer. Networked with HP JetDirect.

Thanks anyway.

"roberts7459" wrote:

> If you are using a USB port make sure you select that port before trying to
> print.
>
> "Jon C22" wrote:
>
> > I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
> > installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
> > first day.
> >
> > Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
> > administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
> > and give an unidentified error.
> >
> > I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
> > on the network can print no problems.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9iZXJ0czc0NTk=?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
Maybe it could be that your printer properties are not set right for that
printer or it could be in the security setting. I know when I was trying to
print the first few times nothing was happening and I just went to the
printer properties and selected the correct port, because it was trying to
use another port: not the USB/ Virtual Printer Port, and it started working.
I hope this will help.

"Jon C22" wrote:

> Not a USB printer. Networked with HP JetDirect.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> "roberts7459" wrote:
>
> > If you are using a USB port make sure you select that port before trying to
> > print.
> >
> > "Jon C22" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an HP LaserJet 4600n connected to my network. Vista finds it and
> > > installs the driver that comes with Vista no problem and could print for the
> > > first day.
> > >
> > > Now it will not print. I can ping the printer, I can use the remote web
> > > administration for the printer but all print jobs just back-up in the queue
> > > and give an unidentified error.
> > >
> > > I've tried restarting both printer and computer. All windows XP computers
> > > on the network can print no problems.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEMyMg==?=

RE: Networked HP Printer Problem
The properties seem to be set right. The port is correct. Prints are
getting to the queue but retuning errors. I was able to print when I first
installed the printer but not since. I've tried re-installing but still no
luck.

Thanks for your ideas.