Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUyNzA5?=

Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
Please help! Cannot locate a print driver for my Lexmark Optra S 1855 laser
printer that will work with Vista. Tried Lexmark web site. IBM said to try
the HP 5Si driver. It did not work. Really do not want to throw away a
$6000.00 + laser printer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
I'd use the Vista 3455. The 3455 prints at 34 pages per minute while the
1855 prints 18 pages per minute. I think the 3455 had some different output
and input options. Just configure the printer using the options you have
for the device.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Wayne2709" <Wayne2709@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help! Cannot locate a print driver for my Lexmark Optra S 1855
> laser
> printer that will work with Vista. Tried Lexmark web site. IBM said to
> try
> the HP 5Si driver. It did not work. Really do not want to throw away a
> $6000.00 + laser printer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUyNzA5?=

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
Tried the Lexmark Optra Se 3455 MS and Lexmark Optra Se 3455 PS. Both failed
to print. Thank you for the suggestion. Anybody, please help...
--
Thank you

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'd use the Vista 3455. The 3455 prints at 34 pages per minute while the
> 1855 prints 18 pages per minute. I think the 3455 had some different output
> and input options. Just configure the printer using the options you have
> for the device.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Wayne2709" <Wayne2709@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help! Cannot locate a print driver for my Lexmark Optra S 1855
> > laser
> > printer that will work with Vista. Tried Lexmark web site. IBM said to
> > try
> > the HP 5Si driver. It did not work. Really do not want to throw away a
> > $6000.00 + laser printer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> > --
> > Thank you

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
what error did you get? Lexmark is very good in their PCL and PS support.
Most of the Laser drivers they have work for all devices but the tray and
installed options are different.

--

> Tried the Lexmark Optra Se 3455 MS and Lexmark Optra Se 3455 PS. Both
> failed
> to print. Thank you for the suggestion. Anybody, please help...
> --
> Thank you
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I'd use the Vista 3455. The 3455 prints at 34 pages per minute while the
>> 1855 prints 18 pages per minute. I think the 3455 had some different
>> output
>> and input options. Just configure the printer using the options you have
>> for the device.
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Wayne2709" <Wayne2709@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please help! Cannot locate a print driver for my Lexmark Optra S 1855
>> > laser
>> > printer that will work with Vista. Tried Lexmark web site. IBM said
>> > try
>> > the HP 5Si driver. It did not work. Really do not want to throw away
>> > $6000.00 + laser printer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>> > --
>> > Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUyNzA5?=

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
The print spooler poped-up, it said: "PRINTING," the document disappeared
from within the print spooler window, nothing printed, and the light did not
flash on the printer. It is as it was not even connectted to the PC.

One additional thing. We purchased a new computer with Vista installed.
New PC's do not come with a parallel port installed. So, we had to purchase
a parallel port to USB cable. The instructions said to select USB virtual
port (and that we did). Could it be that the PC is not detecting the
hardware at all? If so, what should we do?

Thank you again for all your help
--
Thank you

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> what error did you get? Lexmark is very good in their PCL and PS support.
> Most of the Laser drivers they have work for all devices but the tray and
> installed options are different.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Wayne2709" <Wayne2709@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tried the Lexmark Optra Se 3455 MS and Lexmark Optra Se 3455 PS. Both
> > failed
> > to print. Thank you for the suggestion. Anybody, please help...
> > --
> > Thank you
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I'd use the Vista 3455. The 3455 prints at 34 pages per minute while the
> >> 1855 prints 18 pages per minute. I think the 3455 had some different
> >> output
> >> and input options. Just configure the printer using the options you have
> >> for the device.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
So your $6000 printer is connected to a USB to parallel converter?

I have had good luck with Belkin F5U002 cable. I have tried a couple others
that never worked so they got pitched, no idea what brand.

Configure the LPT port on the printer. There are a couple configurations to
try.

Does the USB device appear in device manager?

If you plug the cable into the machine, it should install USB Printing
Support software. If the printer gets installed by Plug-n-Play, you can see
in Device Manager when displaying Hidden devices (this was not a spooler
decision since we don't own device manager). Under USB controllers you will
see USB Printing Support. Get that working first. The next thing is for
the USB chip in the converter cable to pass data from the printer to the USB
enumerator so they can pass the driver name to the spooler and the driver
can get installed, which will fail since it's not inbox.

You can install the XP driver for the 1855 using the have disk option.

The best solution for this printer is a Print Server device that supports
LPT connections.

--

> The print spooler poped-up, it said: "PRINTING," the document disappeared
> from within the print spooler window, nothing printed, and the light did
> not
> flash on the printer. It is as it was not even connectted to the PC.
>
> One additional thing. We purchased a new computer with Vista installed.
> New PC's do not come with a parallel port installed. So, we had to
> purchase
> a parallel port to USB cable. The instructions said to select USB virtual
> port (and that we did). Could it be that the PC is not detecting the
> hardware at all? If so, what should we do?
>
> Thank you again for all your help
> --
> Thank you
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> what error did you get? Lexmark is very good in their PCL and PS
>> support.
>> Most of the Laser drivers they have work for all devices but the tray and
>> installed options are different.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Wayne2709" <Wayne2709@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Tried the Lexmark Optra Se 3455 MS and Lexmark Optra Se 3455 PS. Both
>> > failed
>> > to print. Thank you for the suggestion. Anybody, please help...
>> > --
>> > Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUyNzA5?=

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
Hi Alan,

Thank you for all your help and leads. This is what finally worked:

1. I installed a Parallel PCI on our new PC. The driver disk that came with
the card installed it as LPT3 for some reason.

2. I used the Install New Printer wizard, and set the printer up on LPT3.

3. I used the print driver for the HP Laserjet S5i.

Everything works great. Go figure. Thank you for all your help. I owe you
a lunch.

Cheers,

Wayne
--
Thank you

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> So your $6000 printer is connected to a USB to parallel converter?
>
> I have had good luck with Belkin F5U002 cable. I have tried a couple others
> that never worked so they got pitched, no idea what brand.
>
> Configure the LPT port on the printer. There are a couple configurations to
> try.
>
> Does the USB device appear in device manager?
>
> If you plug the cable into the machine, it should install USB Printing
> Support software. If the printer gets installed by Plug-n-Play, you can see
> in Device Manager when displaying Hidden devices (this was not a spooler
> decision since we don't own device manager). Under USB controllers you will
> see USB Printing Support. Get that working first. The next thing is for
> the USB chip in the converter cable to pass data from the printer to the USB
> enumerator so they can pass the driver name to the spooler and the driver
> can get installed, which will fail since it's not inbox.
>
> You can install the XP driver for the 1855 using the have disk option.
>
> The best solution for this printer is a Print Server device that supports
> LPT connections.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Wayne2709" <Wayne2709@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The print spooler poped-up, it said: "PRINTING," the document disappeared
> > from within the print spooler window, nothing printed, and the light did
> > not
> > flash on the printer. It is as it was not even connectted to the PC.
> >
> > One additional thing. We purchased a new computer with Vista installed.
> > New PC's do not come with a parallel port installed. So, we had to
> > purchase
> > a parallel port to USB cable. The instructions said to select USB virtual
> > port (and that we did). Could it be that the PC is not detecting the
> > hardware at all? If so, what should we do?
> >
> > Thank you again for all your help
> > --
> > Thank you
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> what error did you get? Lexmark is very good in their PCL and PS
> >> support.
> >> Most of the Laser drivers they have work for all devices but the tray and
> >> installed options are different.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark Optra S 1855 print driver needed for 32 bit Vista
You might also try the Se 3455 driver and see if the form to tray assignment
is better aligned.