Adding Network Printer

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Adding Network Printer
Hi,

I have an Canon Pixima 3000 installed and shared on my XP Desktop. I try to
connect to it and it asks me if I want to "install" the drivers. I click Yes
and it says "Can't connect to the Printer because the specified Print Monitor
is Unknown"

I have installed the printer as an LPT1 printer and the drivers are included
with Vista. I went to Canon's website and installed the Print Monitor.

With XP You had the option of keeping the current Drivers or installing the
network ones. However, Vista seems to be a dumbed down version of XP with
very few options.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am getting pretty tired of Vista's limitations.

Lara
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Adding Network Printer
a) Use USB to connect the printer to the PC
b) Install the software from Canon BEFORE connecting the printer to the PC
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Canon Pixima 3000 installed and shared on my XP Desktop. I try
> connect to it and it asks me if I want to "install" the drivers. I click
> Yes
> and it says "Can't connect to the Printer because the specified Print
> Monitor
> is Unknown"
>
> I have installed the printer as an LPT1 printer and the drivers are
> included
> with Vista. I went to Canon's website and installed the Print Monitor.
>
> With XP You had the option of keeping the current Drivers or installing
> the
> network ones. However, Vista seems to be a dumbed down version of XP with
> very few options.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I am getting pretty tired of Vista's
> limitations.
>
> Lara

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Re: Adding Network Printer
Hi,

I did install the software first and it prints fine directly connected. XP
is smart enough to know the drivers are already installed when installing a
network printer. I tought Vista would be as well but that isn't the case.
It may be a hugh problem in my network because users have no access to
install printer drivers so I have to install ahead of time. If Vista won't
find them I am going to be up the creek.

Cheers,

Lara