Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium

=?Utf-8?B?amFjdXpl?=

Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
I find it dishearting that Microsoft failed to provide home users with the
ability to send/receive a fax. A fax capability has been a standard feature
in just about every Microsoft OS I can remember. As a home users, I don't
need a fax on a daily basis. I might use it once a month or once every
couple of months, but when I need it, I expect it to be there.
Microsoft, you failed as far as I am concerned. I purchased a new computer
with Vista Premium loaded. The computer came with a fax modem, however, I
discoverd that only Business and above have fax capability built in. To make
it right, Microsoft should include the fax capability as an update or as a
free stand alone download.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan
David A. Lessnau

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
I'm surprised your computer manufacturer didn't include fax software to go
with the fax modem that came with the computer. Have you double-checked
that? Have you checked the manufacturer's web site to see if they have a
program that's compatible with Vista? Failing that, one source of
alternatives might be the Marketplace on the Microsoft Office site:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ma...=fax&av=PMP000

It looks like it contains links for both fax software and internet faxing
sites. I've used both www.efax.com and www.fax1.com .

"jacuze" <jacuze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I find it dishearting that Microsoft failed to provide home users with the
> ability to send/receive a fax. A fax capability has been a standard
> feature
> in just about every Microsoft OS I can remember. As a home users, I don't
> need a fax on a daily basis. I might use it once a month or once every
> couple of months, but when I need it, I expect it to be there.
> Microsoft, you failed as far as I am concerned. I purchased a new
> computer
> with Vista Premium loaded. The computer came with a fax modem, however, I
> discoverd that only Business and above have fax capability built in. To
> make
> it right, Microsoft should include the fax capability as an update or as a
> free stand alone download.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
Multiple posts exist on this subject. Feel free to contibribute if you have
anything to add to those posts. So far, you haven't.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"jacuze" <jacuze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I find it dishearting that Microsoft failed to provide home users with the
> ability to send/receive a fax. A fax capability has been a standard
> feature
> in just about every Microsoft OS I can remember. As a home users, I don't
> need a fax on a daily basis. I might use it once a month or once every
> couple of months, but when I need it, I expect it to be there.
> Microsoft, you failed as far as I am concerned. I purchased a new
> computer
> with Vista Premium loaded. The computer came with a fax modem, however, I
> discoverd that only Business and above have fax capability built in. To
> make
> it right, Microsoft should include the fax capability as an update or as a
> free stand alone download.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan

JoRene

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
I also have a new computer with a fax modem but no faxing software included
(a Gateway). I've searched everywhere to try to find a Vista compatible fax
program and have been unable to find one. If anyone knows of one (VISTA
compatible), please let us know where to find it. I feel as the first
poster that MS should have included it with the premium edition.

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:12027980-53F0-43E2-8CC1-6F6D8E090306@microsoft.com...
> I'm surprised your computer manufacturer didn't include fax software to go
> with the fax modem that came with the computer. Have you double-checked
> that? Have you checked the manufacturer's web site to see if they have a
> program that's compatible with Vista? Failing that, one source of
> alternatives might be the Marketplace on the Microsoft Office site:
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ma...=fax&av=PMP000
>
> It looks like it contains links for both fax software and internet faxing
> sites. I've used both www.efax.com and www.fax1.com .
>

> "jacuze" <jacuze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I find it dishearting that Microsoft failed to provide home users with the
>> ability to send/receive a fax. A fax capability has been a standard
>> feature
>> in just about every Microsoft OS I can remember. As a home users, I
>> don't
>> need a fax on a daily basis. I might use it once a month or once every
>> couple of months, but when I need it, I expect it to be there.
>> Microsoft, you failed as far as I am concerned. I purchased a new
>> computer
>> with Vista Premium loaded. The computer came with a fax modem, however,
>> discoverd that only Business and above have fax capability built in. To
>> make
>> it right, Microsoft should include the fax capability as an update or as
>> free stand alone download.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan

roman modic

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
Hello!

"jacuze" <jacuze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5302B981-3DA2-49F4-A0B7-068358A8BFDE@microsoft.com...
>I find it dishearting that Microsoft failed to provide home users with the
> ability to send/receive a fax. A fax capability has been a standard feature
> in just about every Microsoft OS I can remember. As a home users, I don't
> need a fax on a daily basis. I might use it once a month or once every
> couple of months, but when I need it, I expect it to be there.
> Microsoft, you failed as far as I am concerned. I purchased a new computer
> with Vista Premium loaded. The computer came with a fax modem, however, I
> discoverd that only Business and above have fax capability built in. To make
> it right, Microsoft should include the fax capability as an update or as a
> free stand alone download.

http://www.rkssoftware.com/misc/vista.html
Quote:
At this time we are determining what changes are required
in order for each of our programs to run properly on Windows
Vista, in accordance with Vista's new rules and restrictions.
This is a fairly major undertaking, as many changes were
introduced in Windows Vista which require due diligence and
forethought by software designers.

MightyFax is taking somewhat longer than we anticipated,
mostly due to the new requirements in the way Vista printer
drivers work. This is proving to be quite difficult . At least one
major Fax vendor - Winfax - will not support Vista at all.
Nonetheless we hope and estimate to have a Vista version
of MightyFax ready before summer, and we are very
optimistic at this time.
Regards, Roman

johnm

> Multiple posts exist on this subject. Feel free to contibribute if you
> have anything to add to those posts. So far, you haven't.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]

as haven't you..... smartass

to the OP, try http://www.snappysoftware.com/
look for Snappy Fax, works with Vista

funny though, why MS decided to remove a feature from what they KNEW would
be their top seller.
just one more example of how "upgrading" to Vista actually results in a
"downgrade"

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
The features included with each version are not a secret. Users need to read
that information very carefully before they decide on which version to
choose. Caveat emptor.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"johnm" <johnm@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Multiple posts exist on this subject. Feel free to contibribute if you
>> have anything to add to those posts. So far, you haven't.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]

> as haven't you..... smartass
>
> to the OP, try http://www.snappysoftware.com/
> look for Snappy Fax, works with Vista
>
> funny though, why MS decided to remove a feature from what they KNEW would
> be their top seller.
> just one more example of how "upgrading" to Vista actually results in a
> "downgrade"

Cyn

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
We read all that. We just expect to GAIN things, not lose them, when we upgrade.

--
Cynthia Dagnal Myron
Faculty

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ueEuUceWHHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
The features included with each version are not a secret. Users need to read
that information very carefully before they decide on which version to
choose. Caveat emptor.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"johnm" <johnm@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Multiple posts exist on this subject. Feel free to contibribute if you
>> have anything to add to those posts. So far, you haven't.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]

> as haven't you..... smartass
>
> to the OP, try http://www.snappysoftware.com/
> look for Snappy Fax, works with Vista
>
> funny though, why MS decided to remove a feature from what they KNEW would
> be their top seller.
> just one more example of how "upgrading" to Vista actually results in a
> "downgrade"

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
I understand. This one has caught a lot of folks off guard. But the
documentation was all there before you chose your version.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Cyn" <cdagnalmyron@comcast.net> wrote in message
We read all that. We just expect to GAIN things, not lose them, when we
upgrade.

--
Cynthia Dagnal Myron
Faculty
Axia/Western International University
Associate Programs
omoyaaz@email.wintu.edu
omoya@email.phoenix.edu
520-241-0126
Pacific Time

The features included with each version are not a secret. Users need to read
that information very carefully before they decide on which version to
choose. Caveat emptor.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"johnm" <johnm@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Multiple posts exist on this subject. Feel free to contibribute if you
>> have anything to add to those posts. So far, you haven't.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]

> as haven't you..... smartass
>
> to the OP, try http://www.snappysoftware.com/
> look for Snappy Fax, works with Vista
>
> funny though, why MS decided to remove a feature from what they KNEW would
> be their top seller.
> just one more example of how "upgrading" to Vista actually results in a
> "downgrade"

GreenWing

Re: Lack of FAX Support for Vista Home Premium
I didn't read in the MS Vista website documentation where it said that
existing XP functionality would actually be removed when upgrading to
whatever version of Vista...I read that as I would not be getting "enhanced"
vista faxing...I had no idea the old XP faxing would actually be removed...

Same applies to the system backup functionality...XP could do full backups,
but Vista Home Premium cannot...

Greenwing