HP1200 Weirdness

SteveC

HP1200 Weirdness
Since installing Vista (clean install), the included HP1200 driver (with parallel port) will not print but one copy. If I choose 2 or more, I just get one copy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and the included Vista driver is the only driver available. HP website tells me that. I guess I could try installing the XP printer driver again. Any suggestions?

Another weird thing that used to happen under XP but has now come back is the Windows insists on installing two copies of the printer driver. If I delete one and reboot, it will install copy 1 of the HP1200. What's up with that?

Thanks.
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: HP1200 Weirdness
The in-the-box drivers with VISTA (and with XP for that matter) are
often not fully featured.

Keep checking with the HP website on your printer for a real VISTA
driver and associated software.

In fact check out here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...wareIndex.jsp?
lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=29790&prodTypeId=18972&pr odSeriesId=29789&swLa
ng=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093

where they have PCL5 and PCL6 drivers dated 23 Februay 2007 !

SteveC

Re: HP1200 Weirdness
I decided to install the XP PCL6 driver for the hp1200 (a small download)
and it is working fine. Hopefully the bug will be worked out of the Vista
driver. Do we report the bug to HP or to Microsoft?
news:VA.00000175.006f3c03@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .

In article <1CD92819-68A2-4C7C-BC7D-B45F191D3B45@microsoft.com>, SteveC
wrote:
> *Hopefully the bug will be worked out of the Vista*
> driver. *Do we report the bug to HP or to Microsoft?

HP are responsible for the drivers, in the box or from their website.

Check your message in the other thread and the suggestion to use LJ6L
<s> but it was a good idea to try the LJ1200 since it is not that far
removed from the 1000 series.

Re: HP1200 Weirdness
I have the same problem on Vista64. I installed the HP universal driver off
their website. It prints multiple copies, but hangs when you try to open
the properties dialog. I also am having a problem with trying to access it
as a shared printer because it claims "the proper drivers" aren't installed
on the client. If you need multiple copies use the universal driver from HP
without opening the properties window.

I can't fathom how poorly Microsoft has coordinated with HP and Nvidia.
Unbelievable. The development cycle should have been more mature by now.

Ron A.

In article <5F2CA4D9-FD4E-454C-B8DB-5B7F00EEEA95@microsoft.com>,
wrote:

> I have the same problem on Vista64.

No experience of that version but I gather it is even more stringent
than VISTA32 when it comes to refusing to install drivers.

But if the one you tried was a VISTA64 version you might uninstall it
if it shows up anywhere and try reinstalling it using the Run as
Administrator setting.

You can do this by right mouse clicking on the install file for the
driver and selecting Run as Administrator.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: HP1200 Weirdness
There is a Quick Fix in the works for the hang opening properties.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

<rma_ilus@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I have the same problem on Vista64. I installed the HP universal driver
>off their website. It prints multiple copies, but hangs when you try to
>open the properties dialog. I also am having a problem with trying to
>access it as a shared printer because it claims "the proper drivers" aren't
>installed on the client. If you need multiple copies use the universal
>driver from HP without opening the properties window.
>
> I can't fathom how poorly Microsoft has coordinated with HP and Nvidia.
> Unbelievable. The development cycle should have been more mature by now.
>
> Ron A.
>

> "Hugh Wyn Griffith" <huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:VA.00000175.006f3c03@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
>> The in-the-box drivers with VISTA (and with XP for that matter) are
>> often not fully featured.
>>
>> Keep checking with the HP website on your printer for a real VISTA
>> driver and associated software.
>>
>> In fact check out here:
>>
>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...wareIndex.jsp?
>> lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=29790&prodTypeId=18972&pr odSeriesId=29789&swLa
>> ng=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093
>>
>> where they have PCL5 and PCL6 drivers dated 23 Februay 2007 !

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: HP1200 Weirdness
Sorry I don't have an ETA on this. Here is the last info reported the
issue. Keep sending in the crashdumps to Microsoft. The more failures the
quicker the turn around on this will be. HP is also requesting this fix
since it kills their driver properties.

"There are 23,469 Watson crash reports of this issue in the past 90 days. It
would be good to be able to point these customers to a downloadable fix
before SP1 ships."

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team