Printer Always Offline

Robert Karp

Printer Always Offline
I have two PCs (one XP SP2 and one Vista Premium), two printers, and a
cable modem all connected through a linksys router.

Every time I start the Vista machine, one of the printers is always
offline. I have not found a way to get the printer online other than
to delete it and then add it. This always works but is a bit of a
pain to have to do on every start.

Anyone encounter this yet?

If it matters, the printers are both HP devices, one 2600n and one
1320n. The 2600n wasn't found at all by the Vista machine until I
installed it via the HP setup disc. I can't do that for the 1320n
because the setup program stops and tells me to use Vista's add
printer function.

Also if it matters, the Vista machine was upgraded over XP Home (under
which everything was just fine).
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printer Always Offline
Are the printers that go offline connections to another machine or are you
connecting directly to a network card on the printer?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Robert Karp" <rkarp@charter.net> wrote in message
>I have two PCs (one XP SP2 and one Vista Premium), two printers, and a
> cable modem all connected through a linksys router.
>
> Every time I start the Vista machine, one of the printers is always
> offline. I have not found a way to get the printer online other than
> to delete it and then add it. This always works but is a bit of a
> pain to have to do on every start.
>
> Anyone encounter this yet?
>
> If it matters, the printers are both HP devices, one 2600n and one
> 1320n. The 2600n wasn't found at all by the Vista machine until I
> installed it via the HP setup disc. I can't do that for the 1320n
> because the setup program stops and tells me to use Vista's add
> printer function.
>
> Also if it matters, the Vista machine was upgraded over XP Home (under
> which everything was just fine).

Robert Karp

Re: Printer Always Offline
The printers are connected directly to the Linksys router.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Are the printers that go offline connections to another machine or are you
>connecting directly to a network card on the printer?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printer Always Offline
what is the configuration of the TCP/IP port?

--

> The printers are connected directly to the Linksys router.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Are the printers that go offline connections to another machine or are you
>>connecting directly to a network card on the printer?

Robert Karp

Re: Printer Always Offline
I don't know. How do I determine that?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>what is the configuration of the TCP/IP port?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printer Always Offline
launch
printmanagement.msc

Open the local machine, Ports, locate the port assigned to the printer,
Configure

--

>I don't know. How do I determine that?
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>what is the configuration of the TCP/IP port?

Robert Karp

Re: Printer Always Offline
Thanks, Alan. That did the trick. When I looked at the ports for the
printer I'm having trouble with, I saw a plethora of choices but one
(that was not selected) clearly looked like the port to use (HP
Standard TCP/IP Port). Once I changed the port to that selection the
problem disappeared. You da man! Thanks again.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>launch
>printmanagement.msc
>
>Open the local machine, Ports, locate the port assigned to the printer,
>Configure

hydrovenom1

Re: Printer Always Offline

I'm having a similiar problem. I just installed Vista Home Premium, and
hooked up my new Lexmark z645 to my PC for the very first time, after
installing vista. I downloaded the Lexmark z645 drivers from Lexmark,
and during the setup process I was able to print a test sheet. However,
now when I try to print any documents the printer is put in 'Offline'
Mode in the Control Panel / Printer window, and only queue's the
documents while printing nothing. I tried to run 'printmanagement.msc'
as suggested above, but windows is unable to find the file. Help
please!

--
hydrovenom1
hydrovenom1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22839