Finally able to fax

Terry Scott

Finally able to fax
Using Xp (any version) I had the ability to use my fax modem, after
upgrading to Vista Premium I had lost that ability (I now have Vista
Ultimate), much to my surprise it was due to Vista that restricted my fax
modem from working. Vista only allows the fax ability with Business or
Ultimate. This in my opinion is a flaw in Microsoft's thinking. Most (at
least 90%) of the computers manufactured at this time have a fax modems
installed at time of purchase or even at time of manufacturing. If you buy a
computer with Vista Basic pre-installed you may not have faxing
capabilities, or maybe other functions within your "new computer" . Granted
faxing (I guess) is not something a general "computer user" would need to
do, and even if I only fax on occasion, if I pay for a computer with a fax
modem, then I think being able to use it would be important. I know, it
comes down to "money", if you buy a computer with Basic installed, and can't
use all the features and have to upgrade, Microsoft makes more money. It
just Pi**es me off that I have to spend an extra $100+ dollars to use
something that was fully functional in XP (again ANY version).

Ok, venting over, thanks for listening.

Frank Halblaub

Re: Finally able to fax
Hello,

I am from Germany and I have the same problem.
With my Vista Home Pemium on my new
Dell Inspiron Notebook it is not possible to
fax with the integrated Fax-Modem. It is a
Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem.
And the Upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade
from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate costs about
200 Euros here in Germany. These are 260 US $.
That is unbelievable and and what a shame for
Microsoft and for Dell too.
Does anybody know a cheap or perhaps cost-free
solution? perhaps a free faxprinter driver for Vista?

thank you by anticipant,

Frank H.

"Terry Scott" <tscott11@suddenlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Using Xp (any version) I had the ability to use my fax modem, after
> upgrading to Vista Premium I had lost that ability (I now have Vista
> Ultimate), much to my surprise it was due to Vista that restricted my fax
> modem from working. Vista only allows the fax ability with Business or
> Ultimate. This in my opinion is a flaw in Microsoft's thinking. Most (at
> least 90%) of the computers manufactured at this time have a fax modems
> installed at time of purchase or even at time of manufacturing. If you buy
> a computer with Vista Basic pre-installed you may not have faxing
> capabilities, or maybe other functions within your "new computer" .
> Granted faxing (I guess) is not something a general "computer user" would
> need to do, and even if I only fax on occasion, if I pay for a computer
> with a fax modem, then I think being able to use it would be important. I
> know, it comes down to "money", if you buy a computer with Basic
> installed, and can't use all the features and have to upgrade, Microsoft
> makes more money. It just Pi**es me off that I have to spend an extra
> $100+ dollars to use something that was fully functional in XP (again ANY
> version).
>
> Ok, venting over, thanks for listening.

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaE1j?=

Re: Finally able to fax
SAME HERE,
I have found snappy fax works well and is not expensive. I also think Bill
Gates should hang himself! Hasn't he made enough money?

http://www.snappysoftware.com/index.html

"Frank Halblaub" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am from Germany and I have the same problem.
> With my Vista Home Pemium on my new
> Dell Inspiron Notebook it is not possible to
> fax with the integrated Fax-Modem. It is a
> Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem.
> And the Upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade
> from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate costs about
> 200 Euros here in Germany. These are 260 US $.
> That is unbelievable and and what a shame for
> Microsoft and for Dell too.
> Does anybody know a cheap or perhaps cost-free
> solution? perhaps a free faxprinter driver for Vista?
>
> thank you by anticipant,
>
> Frank H.
>

> "Terry Scott" <tscott11@suddenlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Using Xp (any version) I had the ability to use my fax modem, after
> > upgrading to Vista Premium I had lost that ability (I now have Vista
> > Ultimate), much to my surprise it was due to Vista that restricted my fax
> > modem from working. Vista only allows the fax ability with Business or
> > Ultimate. This in my opinion is a flaw in Microsoft's thinking. Most (at
> > least 90%) of the computers manufactured at this time have a fax modems
> > installed at time of purchase or even at time of manufacturing. If you buy
> > a computer with Vista Basic pre-installed you may not have faxing
> > capabilities, or maybe other functions within your "new computer" .
> > Granted faxing (I guess) is not something a general "computer user" would
> > need to do, and even if I only fax on occasion, if I pay for a computer
> > with a fax modem, then I think being able to use it would be important. I
> > know, it comes down to "money", if you buy a computer with Basic
> > installed, and can't use all the features and have to upgrade, Microsoft
> > makes more money. It just Pi**es me off that I have to spend an extra
> > $100+ dollars to use something that was fully functional in XP (again ANY
> > version).
> >
> > Ok, venting over, thanks for listening.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Finally able to fax
The greater majority of home users probably don't fax anything, and if they
did, would most likely use the fax program supplied with analogue modems..
professional faxers hated Windows Fax because it was not good at managing
fax, was way too simple..

OK, so have you tried to run the fax program that was supplied with your
modem? or looked into seeing if there is one available either for purchase
or for free?

One thing I can tell you is that canvassing for MS to include Fax into home
versions will prove less effective by suggesting that Bill Gates goes and
hangs himself..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Cyn

Re: Finally able to fax

I just bought Snappy Fax, and it's a life saver! for $29, I can do everything I used to with Windows XP--thank you for this "tip!"

"Frank Halblaub" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am from Germany and I have the same problem.
> With my Vista Home Pemium on my new
> Dell Inspiron Notebook it is not possible to
> fax with the integrated Fax-Modem. It is a
> Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem.
> And the Upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade
> from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate costs about
> 200 Euros here in Germany. These are 260 US $.
> That is unbelievable and and what a shame for
> Microsoft and for Dell too.
> Does anybody know a cheap or perhaps cost-free
> solution? perhaps a free faxprinter driver for Vista?
>
> thank you by anticipant,
>
> Frank H.
>

> "Terry Scott" <tscott11@suddenlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Using Xp (any version) I had the ability to use my fax modem, after
> > upgrading to Vista Premium I had lost that ability (I now have Vista
> > Ultimate), much to my surprise it was due to Vista that restricted my fax
> > modem from working. Vista only allows the fax ability with Business or
> > Ultimate. This in my opinion is a flaw in Microsoft's thinking. Most (at
> > least 90%) of the computers manufactured at this time have a fax modems
> > installed at time of purchase or even at time of manufacturing. If you buy
> > a computer with Vista Basic pre-installed you may not have faxing
> > capabilities, or maybe other functions within your "new computer" ..
> > Granted faxing (I guess) is not something a general "computer user" would
> > need to do, and even if I only fax on occasion, if I pay for a computer
> > with a fax modem, then I think being able to use it would be important. I
> > know, it comes down to "money", if you buy a computer with Basic
> > installed, and can't use all the features and have to upgrade, Microsoft
> > makes more money. It just Pi**es me off that I have to spend an extra
> > $100+ dollars to use something that was fully functional in XP (again ANY
> > version).
> >
> > Ok, venting over, thanks for listening.

JoRene

Re: Finally able to fax
THANK YOU! I did not come across this application when I searched for fax
software for Vista....I will give it a try once I get my Vista upgrade. But
I still think MS should have included the fax and scan capability with Home
Premium.

"RichMc" <RichMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SAME HERE,
> I have found snappy fax works well and is not expensive. I also think Bill
> Gates should hang himself! Hasn't he made enough money?
>
> http://www.snappysoftware.com/index.html
>
> "Frank Halblaub" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am from Germany and I have the same problem.
>> With my Vista Home Pemium on my new
>> Dell Inspiron Notebook it is not possible to
>> fax with the integrated Fax-Modem. It is a
>> Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem.
>> And the Upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade
>> from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate costs about
>> 200 Euros here in Germany. These are 260 US $.
>> That is unbelievable and and what a shame for
>> Microsoft and for Dell too.
>> Does anybody know a cheap or perhaps cost-free
>> solution? perhaps a free faxprinter driver for Vista?
>>
>> thank you by anticipant,
>>
>> Frank H.
>>

>> "Terry Scott" <tscott11@suddenlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > Using Xp (any version) I had the ability to use my fax modem, after
>> > upgrading to Vista Premium I had lost that ability (I now have Vista
>> > Ultimate), much to my surprise it was due to Vista that restricted my
>> > fax
>> > modem from working. Vista only allows the fax ability with Business or
>> > Ultimate. This in my opinion is a flaw in Microsoft's thinking. Most
>> > (at
>> > least 90%) of the computers manufactured at this time have a fax modems
>> > installed at time of purchase or even at time of manufacturing. If you
>> > buy
>> > a computer with Vista Basic pre-installed you may not have faxing
>> > capabilities, or maybe other functions within your "new computer" .
>> > Granted faxing (I guess) is not something a general "computer user"
>> > would
>> > need to do, and even if I only fax on occasion, if I pay for a computer
>> > with a fax modem, then I think being able to use it would be important.
>> > know, it comes down to "money", if you buy a computer with Basic
>> > installed, and can't use all the features and have to upgrade,
>> > Microsoft
>> > makes more money. It just Pi**es me off that I have to spend an extra
>> > $100+ dollars to use something that was fully functional in XP (again
>> > ANY
>> > version).
>> >
>> > Ok, venting over, thanks for listening.

Cyn

Re: Finally able to fax--curses, VOIP'd again!
Snappy Fax works...but not with VOIP. So I'm back to square one! Sigh...

--
Cynthia Dagnal Myron
Faculty

"JoRene" <jander41@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message news:8sWdnbymx8EHxX_YnZ2dnUVZ_h2pnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
THANK YOU! I did not come across this application when I searched for fax
software for Vista....I will give it a try once I get my Vista upgrade. But
I still think MS should have included the fax and scan capability with Home
Premium.

"RichMc" <RichMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SAME HERE,
> I have found snappy fax works well and is not expensive. I also think Bill
> Gates should hang himself! Hasn't he made enough money?
>
> http://www.snappysoftware.com/index.html
>
> "Frank Halblaub" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am from Germany and I have the same problem.
>> With my Vista Home Pemium on my new
>> Dell Inspiron Notebook it is not possible to
>> fax with the integrated Fax-Modem. It is a
>> Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem.
>> And the Upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade
>> from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate costs about
>> 200 Euros here in Germany. These are 260 US $.
>> That is unbelievable and and what a shame for
>> Microsoft and for Dell too.
>> Does anybody know a cheap or perhaps cost-free
>> solution? perhaps a free faxprinter driver for Vista?
>>
>> thank you by anticipant,
>>
>> Frank H.
>>

>> "Terry Scott" <tscott11@suddenlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > Using Xp (any version) I had the ability to use my fax modem, after
>> > upgrading to Vista Premium I had lost that ability (I now have Vista
>> > Ultimate), much to my surprise it was due to Vista that restricted my
>> > fax
>> > modem from working. Vista only allows the fax ability with Business or
>> > Ultimate. This in my opinion is a flaw in Microsoft's thinking. Most
>> > (at
>> > least 90%) of the computers manufactured at this time have a fax modems
>> > installed at time of purchase or even at time of manufacturing. If you
>> > buy
>> > a computer with Vista Basic pre-installed you may not have faxing
>> > capabilities, or maybe other functions within your "new computer" ..
>> > Granted faxing (I guess) is not something a general "computer user"
>> > would
>> > need to do, and even if I only fax on occasion, if I pay for a computer
>> > with a fax modem, then I think being able to use it would be important.
>> > know, it comes down to "money", if you buy a computer with Basic
>> > installed, and can't use all the features and have to upgrade,
>> > Microsoft
>> > makes more money. It just Pi**es me off that I have to spend an extra
>> > $100+ dollars to use something that was fully functional in XP (again
>> > ANY
>> > version).
>> >
>> > Ok, venting over, thanks for listening.

Stephen

Re: Finally able to fax
Great post Mike...

Stephen

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> The greater majority of home users probably don't fax anything, and if
> they did, would most likely use the fax program supplied with analogue
> modems.. professional faxers hated Windows Fax because it was not good at
> managing fax, was way too simple..
>
> OK, so have you tried to run the fax program that was supplied with your
> modem? or looked into seeing if there is one available either for purchase
> or for free?
>
> One thing I can tell you is that canvassing for MS to include Fax into
> home versions will prove less effective by suggesting that Bill Gates goes
> and hangs himself..
>

> "RichMc" <RichMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> SAME HERE,
>> I have found snappy fax works well and is not expensive. I also think
>> Bill
>> Gates should hang himself! Hasn't he made enough money?
>>
>> http://www.snappysoftware.com/index.html
>>
>> "Frank Halblaub" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am from Germany and I have the same problem.
>>> With my Vista Home Pemium on my new
>>> Dell Inspiron Notebook it is not possible to
>>> fax with the integrated Fax-Modem. It is a
>>> Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem.
>>> And the Upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade
>>> from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate costs about
>>> 200 Euros here in Germany. These are 260 US $.
>>> That is unbelievable and and what a shame for
>>> Microsoft and for Dell too.
>>> Does anybody know a cheap or perhaps cost-free
>>> solution? perhaps a free faxprinter driver for Vista?
>>>
>>> thank you by anticipant,
>>>
>>> Frank H.
>>>

>>> "Terry Scott" <tscott11@suddenlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

=?Utf-8?B?cmlwbGV5NTY=?=

Re: Finally able to fax
do you want brownie points sookie sookie