Vista Standby causes Printer Offline hang

=?Utf-8?B?Y3k=?=

Vista Standby causes Printer Offline hang
My Vista Ultimate PC prints to an HP printer on an HP Jet Direct print server
via a TCP port.

I have found that if my Vista PC goes to sleep/standby mode, upon re-awaking
it shows the printer as "offline". I can ping the jet direct card from the
Vista PC, and other PCs on the network print to the printer just fine. So
the issue seems to be that when the Vista PC goes to sleep, upon re-awaking
the printer stuff doesn't properly "resense" its network state or wake back
up.

A print job placed in the queue just sticks. Upon a reboot, all returns to
fine and normal - and the print job is sent to the printer. I found this
same issue when I was running Vista RC2.

Anyone else finding this problem?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Standby causes Printer Offline hang
Disable Bidirectional on the port first. If that does not address the issue
(or is not available) try disabling SNMP on the Standard Port

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"cy" <cy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Vista Ultimate PC prints to an HP printer on an HP Jet Direct print
> server
> via a TCP port.
>
> I have found that if my Vista PC goes to sleep/standby mode, upon
> re-awaking
> it shows the printer as "offline". I can ping the jet direct card from
> the
> Vista PC, and other PCs on the network print to the printer just fine. So
> the issue seems to be that when the Vista PC goes to sleep, upon
> re-awaking
> the printer stuff doesn't properly "resense" its network state or wake
> back
> up.
>
> A print job placed in the queue just sticks. Upon a reboot, all returns
> fine and normal - and the print job is sent to the printer. I found this
> same issue when I was running Vista RC2.
>
> Anyone else finding this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZGVyNQ==?=

Re: Vista Standby causes Printer Offline hang
My issue is even simpler...whenever I restart, my printers go offline, and
the only thing I can do to remedy is delete and re-add the printers. My
printers are on a Linksys print server, and work just fine with my two XP
machines. The problem is only on my brand new Dell Vista Home Premium
machine. I tried unchecking the bidirectional box immediately after
re-adding the printer (i.e. while it is still "online"), but the system does
not let me apply the change.

FYI, in case this help, when I try adding the printers as network printers,
it finds the printers but then doesn't let me add them. When I try adding
the printers are local printers, that works until the next time I restart.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Disable Bidirectional on the port first. If that does not address the issue
> (or is not available) try disabling SNMP on the Standard Port
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "cy" <cy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Vista Ultimate PC prints to an HP printer on an HP Jet Direct print
> > server
> > via a TCP port.
> >
> > I have found that if my Vista PC goes to sleep/standby mode, upon
> > re-awaking
> > it shows the printer as "offline". I can ping the jet direct card from
> > the
> > Vista PC, and other PCs on the network print to the printer just fine. So
> > the issue seems to be that when the Vista PC goes to sleep, upon
> > re-awaking
> > the printer stuff doesn't properly "resense" its network state or wake
> > back
> > up.
> >
> > A print job placed in the queue just sticks. Upon a reboot, all returns
> > fine and normal - and the print job is sent to the printer. I found this
> > same issue when I was running Vista RC2.
> >
> > Anyone else finding this problem?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Standby causes Printer Offline hang
What is the configuration settings of the Standard TCP/IP port? If they are
configured for SNMP, I would disable this?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team