Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop

=?Utf-8?B?cmFjdGVs?=

Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
I want to print to my XP desktop which shares an HP printer but my Laptop
Vista doesn't see the desktop. I already ran the network wizard in both of
them and they are in the same workgroup, also I turned firewall off on both
just in case.
Any idea what else shoul I do
Thanks ...
Dr Teeth

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:07:03 -0800, ractel
<ractel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Any idea what else shoul I do

I found that XP defaults to the workgroup name 'MSHOME' whilst Vista
defaults to 'WORKGROUP'. The names have to be the same.

Cheers,

Guy

=?Utf-8?B?cmFjdGVs?=

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop

Thank you DR teeth for that but I have them both in the same work group
(MSHOME) I changed Vista Laptop to mshome and it didn't work
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
File and Printer Sharing must also be enabled on BOTH PCs.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"ractel" <ractel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thank you DR teeth for that but I have them both in the same work group
> (MSHOME) I changed Vista Laptop to mshome and it didn't work

=?Utf-8?B?cmFjdGVs?=

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
Thank you Cari File and Printer Sharing is enabled on BOTH PCs
that was my first step and XP desktop sees Vista Laptop but not on the other
way around Vista Laptop doesn't see XP desktop.
Thanks
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
Is the hard drive shared on the XP PC?
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml
--

> Thank you Cari File and Printer Sharing is enabled on BOTH PCs
> that was my first step and XP desktop sees Vista Laptop but not on the
> other
> way around Vista Laptop doesn't see XP desktop.
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIE5pZW1leWVy?=

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
You need to install the LLTD Responder on all your XP machines in order for
them to be seen by your Vista machine. Just Google on LLTD Responder and it
will take you to the Microsoft site to download it. Also, make sure your
firewall on your Vista machine is open to the following local ports for
network device status: UDP 3702, TCP 5357, TCP 5358, UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP
139, TCP 445, UDP 1900, and TCP 2869.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is the hard drive shared on the XP PC?
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "ractel" <ractel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Cari File and Printer Sharing is enabled on BOTH PCs
> > that was my first step and XP desktop sees Vista Laptop but not on the
> > other
> > way around Vista Laptop doesn't see XP desktop.
> > Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
Cool

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Joe Niemeyer" <Joe Niemeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You need to install the LLTD Responder on all your XP machines in order
> for
> them to be seen by your Vista machine. Just Google on LLTD Responder and
> it
> will take you to the Microsoft site to download it. Also, make sure your
> firewall on your Vista machine is open to the following local ports for
> network device status: UDP 3702, TCP 5357, TCP 5358, UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP
> 139, TCP 445, UDP 1900, and TCP 2869.
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is the hard drive shared on the XP PC?
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "ractel" <ractel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you Cari File and Printer Sharing is enabled on BOTH PCs
>> > that was my first step and XP desktop sees Vista Laptop but not on the
>> > other
>> > way around Vista Laptop doesn't see XP desktop.
>> > Thanks

Makeshift

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop

I'm having a similar problem as well.

I have 6 pcs that are running vista 32 bit version and 3 pcs on xp, 1
of which acts as a printer server. All xp machines have the LLTD
Responder installed, and to make it easier, I disabled/uninstalled all
firewall and antivirus software. All PCs are in the WORKGROUP workgroup

At first I couldn't see any of the XP machines on my network, but I
could print fine and ping each machine from the Vista machines. Then I
figured out that I could actually access each machine by typing the path
name in the directory like this:

[image: http://i25.tinypic.com/313oxs8.jpg]

It's a workaround, but in the end, some of my software doesn't let me
type in the directory paths when opening or saving files which is a
headache.

1 last thing. when i installed the LLTD software the problem continued,
the only thing it did was add the PCs to the "Network Map"... but as
unclickable links. Such a tease! I'm at the end of my rope. If anyone
has any ideas, that would be great.

--
Makeshift
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Laptop can not see XP desktop
Make sure you run the network setup wizard on the XP machines.

Here's some information regarding the XP machines not in network map.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running
Windows XP

Vista network configuration

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team