Missing HP Drivers

Peter Ellison

Missing HP Drivers
Vista Home Premium
New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
Printer HP940c Ink Jet.

"HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
Windows Update.
The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.

Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest that
this is a problem with my install of Vista.

I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
point if no HP printers listed.

Very frustrated
Peter

Jane C

Re: Missing HP Drivers
Who did you buy this computer from? What manufacturer? There certainly are
quite a lot of HP printer drivers (including the 940c and Laser Jets)
included with retail Vista. Perhaps the OEM removed some?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium
> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>
> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
> Windows Update.
> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>
> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest that
> this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>
> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
> point if no HP printers listed.
>
> Very frustrated
> Peter

Jane C

Re: Missing HP Drivers
Another point: check the Add Printer list but don't hit the Windows Update
button. The inbuilt ones get 'overridden' if you hit that button.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium
> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>
> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
> Windows Update.
> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>
> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest that
> this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>
> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
> point if no HP printers listed.
>
> Very frustrated
> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing HP Drivers
Hi Jane.

The machine is from Shuttle, what they call an XPC
I can't imagine that they would build the machine and then make a limited
install, were only the HP drivers omitted.

BR
Peter.

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Who did you buy this computer from? What manufacturer? There certainly
> are quite a lot of HP printer drivers (including the 940c and Laser Jets)
> included with retail Vista. Perhaps the OEM removed some?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium
>> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
>> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>>
>> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
>> Windows Update.
>> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
>> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>>
>> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest
>> that this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>>
>> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
>> point if no HP printers listed.
>>
>> Very frustrated
>> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing HP Drivers
Hi Jane.

That window is always empty, untill I have hit the Windows Update.

> Another point: check the Add Printer list but don't hit the Windows
> Update button. The inbuilt ones get 'overridden' if you hit that button.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium
>> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
>> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>>
>> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
>> Windows Update.
>> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
>> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>>
>> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest
>> that this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>>
>> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
>> point if no HP printers listed.
>>
>> Very frustrated
>> Peter

Karl H Geng

Re: Missing HP Drivers
I have the same problem - brand new HP 9260 with VISTA Ultimate preloaded -
NO HP PRINTER DRIVERS !!
Bummer ...

Karl

"Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium
> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>
> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
> Windows Update.
> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>
> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest that
> this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>
> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
> point if no HP printers listed.
>
> Very frustrated
> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing HP Drivers
Been playing with this problem again this evening.
Have found that if I point the "Browse for driver on your computer" at the
root of C and then instruct it to check all sub folders, it will find
"C:\Windows\INF\prnhp001.inf"
Plus a lot of files "C:\users\all
users\microsoft\windows\wer\reportqueue\report.... \prnhp001.inf I guess
Vista know what is going wrong if I don't.
Any way installing the prnhp01.inf it then tell me that "Windows
encountered a problem installing the driver softwear for your device" +
"Unable to find a core driver package that is required bt the printer driver
package"

Still not printing
Peter

"Karl H Geng" <n1dl@bizswfla.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem - brand new HP 9260 with VISTA Ultimate preloaded -
>NO HP PRINTER DRIVERS !!
> Bummer ...
>
> Karl
>

> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium
>> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
>> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>>
>> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
>> Windows Update.
>> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
>> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>>
>> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest
>> that this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>>
>> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
>> point if no HP printers listed.
>>
>> Very frustrated
>> Peter

Pavel

Re: Missing HP Drivers
There is a solution that I found for a unsupported printers that work under
Windows XP but Vista refuses to install them. The only requirements is that
you have a networked Windows XP machine running with this printer installed,
Vista machine and copy of the drivers (inf,drv and all other necessary files
that come with a printer driver). A self contained installer will not do.

On the WindowsXP machine, set the printer share to ON. On the Vista machine,
open Network folder, found on start menu. Find the WindowsXP in this panel,
open it and find the shared printer here. Double click on it. Vista will
prompt you to install it (basically, it will copy all the drivers from the
host machine).

The last step is to make the drive available locally. Using Add Printer,
select Local printer with the desired port. Under the driver selection,
click on "HAVE DISK" then using the 'browse' point to the drivers you have
that worked on WindowsXP. Vista will then prompt you with "Which version of
the driver do you want to use?' Select the 'Use the driver that is currently
installed (recommended)

Don't forget to delete the networked version Icon from the Vista printer
menu. otherwise it will just try to use the printer connected to the
WindowsXP (no harm done if you do not delete it or do not use it, just
annoying).

That is all

--
Pavel

> Been playing with this problem again this evening.
> Have found that if I point the "Browse for driver on your computer" at the
> root of C and then instruct it to check all sub folders, it will find
> "C:\Windows\INF\prnhp001.inf"
> Plus a lot of files "C:\users\all
> users\microsoft\windows\wer\reportqueue\report.... \prnhp001.inf I guess
> Vista know what is going wrong if I don't.
> Any way installing the prnhp01.inf it then tell me that "Windows
> encountered a problem installing the driver softwear for your device" +
> "Unable to find a core driver package that is required bt the printer
> driver package"
>
> Still not printing
> Peter
>
> "Karl H Geng" <n1dl@bizswfla.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have the same problem - brand new HP 9260 with VISTA Ultimate
>>preloaded - NO HP PRINTER DRIVERS !!
>> Bummer ...
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium
>>> New computer, clean install by manufacturer.
>>> Printer HP940c Ink Jet.
>>>
>>> "HP" is not given in the list of available printers, even after checking
>>> Windows Update.
>>> The list presented in the "Add Printer" dialogue box, under the heading
>>> Manufacturer, jumps From Gestetner to Imagistics.
>>>
>>> Have contacted HP, who have given up on me.............. they suggest
>>> that this is a problem with my install of Vista.
>>>
>>> I also have a HP Laser Jet, have not begun to connect that yet, Not much
>>> point if no HP printers listed.
>>>
>>> Very frustrated
>>> Peter

Karl H Geng

Re: Missing HP Drivers
Pavel,
I don't think this scheme works if the Vista machine is a 64 bit version
like mine
with Ultimate 64. At least here it didn't ..
Are you using 32 bit VISTA on yours?
Karl

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is a solution that I found for a unsupported printers that work
> under Windows XP but Vista refuses to install them. The only requirements
> is that you have a networked Windows XP machine running with this printer
> installed, Vista machine and copy of the drivers (inf,drv and all other
> necessary files that come with a printer driver). A self contained
> installer will not do.
>
> On the WindowsXP machine, set the printer share to ON. On the Vista
> machine, open Network folder, found on start menu. Find the WindowsXP in
> this panel, open it and find the shared printer here. Double click on it.
> Vista will prompt you to install it (basically, it will copy all the
> drivers from the host machine).
>
> The last step is to make the drive available locally. Using Add Printer,
> select Local printer with the desired port. Under the driver selection,
> click on "HAVE DISK" then using the 'browse' point to the drivers you have
> that worked on WindowsXP. Vista will then prompt you with "Which version
> of the driver do you want to use?' Select the 'Use the driver that is
> currently installed (recommended)
>
> Don't forget to delete the networked version Icon from the Vista printer
> menu. otherwise it will just try to use the printer connected to the
> WindowsXP (no harm done if you do not delete it or do not use it, just
> annoying).
>

> That is all
>
> --
> Pavel
>

> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Been playing with this problem again this evening.
>> Have found that if I point the "Browse for driver on your computer" at
>> the root of C and then instruct it to check all sub folders, it will find
>> "C:\Windows\INF\prnhp001.inf"
>> Plus a lot of files "C:\users\all
>> users\microsoft\windows\wer\reportqueue\report.... \prnhp001.inf I
>> guess Vista know what is going wrong if I don't.
>> Any way installing the prnhp01.inf it then tell me that "Windows
>> encountered a problem installing the driver softwear for your device" +
>> "Unable to find a core driver package that is required bt the printer
>> driver package"
>>
>> Still not printing
>> Peter
>>
>> "Karl H Geng" <n1dl@bizswfla.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the same problem - brand new HP 9260 with VISTA Ultimate
>>>preloaded - NO HP PRINTER DRIVERS !!
>>> Bummer ...
>>>
>>> Karl

Bruno DUPUY

Re: Missing HP Drivers
I had the same problem with vista ultimate and a officejet 7410. "happy" to
see i'm not alone.
i had too a driver problem with my belkin usb hubs.

i put the vista dvd in my player, then make update (ultimate -> ultimate)
(be careful, i need to re register my copy) and then everything went fine,
printer detected on the first try with a wifi connection (same problem as
you before), belkin hubs detected too...

i think something goes wrong when installing.

urRF%23IGVHHA.1200@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...