Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista

=?Utf-8?B?QXV4Q294?=

Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista
I have Adobe Professional v7.0 on my pc.
In Windows XP, to print a web page to a PDF file I would simply select Adobe
PDF as the printer. In Windows Vista when I attempt to do the same thing it
tells me that for security, it will print the page to a temporary folder.
When I go to that temporary folder, there is no PDF document. How can I get
Windows Vista to print the web page to the folder of my choice?
--
AuxCox, Beverly, MA
David A. Lessnau

Re: Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista
I have the same problem here. After thinking about it a bit, my guess is
that it's a problem with permissions (or, more specifically, the integrity
level of a folder). I believe everything coming from the browser is given
the lowest permission level to keep malware from executing. So, add-ins
can't write to a normal directory. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be
possible to do some kind of ICACLS on a folder to set its integrity level
low enough for IE to print to it. Again, this is just a guess and I haven't
tried it yet, but something like the following might work:

- Open a Command Prompt as Administrator (right-click Command Prompt and
click Run As Administrator)
- Browse to the folder that will contain web-printed pages
- Type: "ICACLS <folder name> /setintegritylevel (CI)(OI)Low"

If anyone knows enough about this to confirm or deny its applicability,
please let me know.

"AuxCox" <AuxCox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Adobe Professional v7.0 on my pc.
> In Windows XP, to print a web page to a PDF file I would simply select
> Adobe
> PDF as the printer. In Windows Vista when I attempt to do the same thing
> it
> tells me that for security, it will print the page to a temporary folder.
> When I go to that temporary folder, there is no PDF document. How can I
> get
> Windows Vista to print the web page to the folder of my choice?
> --
> AuxCox, Beverly, MA

bjr

Re: Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista
Dave - Foxit works just fine here (Ultimate X64 and Premium X86) for PDF
prints. I gave up on Adobe long ago - too much of a resource hog.
BJ

David A. Lessnau wrote:
> I have the same problem here. After thinking about it a bit, my guess
> is that it's a problem with permissions (or, more specifically, the
> integrity level of a folder). I believe everything coming from the
> browser is given the lowest permission level to keep malware from
> executing. So, add-ins can't write to a normal directory. I haven't
> tried it yet, but it might be possible to do some kind of ICACLS on a
> folder to set its integrity level low enough for IE to print to it.
> Again, this is just a guess and I haven't tried it yet, but something
> like the following might work:
>
> - Open a Command Prompt as Administrator (right-click Command Prompt and
> click Run As Administrator)
> - Browse to the folder that will contain web-printed pages
> - Type: "ICACLS <folder name> /setintegritylevel (CI)(OI)Low"
>
> If anyone knows enough about this to confirm or deny its applicability,
> please let me know.
>

> "AuxCox" <AuxCox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have Adobe Professional v7.0 on my pc.
>> In Windows XP, to print a web page to a PDF file I would simply select
>> Adobe
>> PDF as the printer. In Windows Vista when I attempt to do the same
>> thing it
>> tells me that for security, it will print the page to a temporary folder.
>> When I go to that temporary folder, there is no PDF document. How can
>> I get
>> Windows Vista to print the web page to the folder of my choice?
>> --
>> AuxCox, Beverly, MA

David A. Lessnau

Re: Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista
I'll keep Foxit in mind if I ever replace this Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 for my
scanning solution. But, since I currently need that scanning ability
(specifically, the OCR scan to PDF), I really don't want to mess with
dueling PDF printers. Once Acrobat's gone, though, that's a horse of a
different color. The wife is using PrimoPDF on her XP machine. So, I'll
probably end up trying that on Vista, too.

This also goes back to an earlier post I made here about Office 2007's "Save
As PDF" download. Since I've got that installed, I'd have thought IE7's
"Save As" dialog would now include a PDF option (just like Office's Document
Scanning ought to (but doesn't)). But, it doesn't. It would have been nice
if Microsoft had implemented that utility as a Service or Device Driver
(usable by everything installed on the computer) instead of just as an
add-in for specific programs.

"bjr" <bj-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Dave - Foxit works just fine here (Ultimate X64 and Premium X86) for PDF
> prints. I gave up on Adobe long ago - too much of a resource hog.
> BJ
>
> David A. Lessnau wrote:
>> I have the same problem here. After thinking about it a bit, my guess is
>> that it's a problem with permissions (or, more specifically, the
>> integrity level of a folder). I believe everything coming from the
>> browser is given the lowest permission level to keep malware from
>> executing. So, add-ins can't write to a normal directory. I haven't
>> tried it yet, but it might be possible to do some kind of ICACLS on a
>> folder to set its integrity level low enough for IE to print to it.
>> Again, this is just a guess and I haven't tried it yet, but something
>> like the following might work:
>>
>> - Open a Command Prompt as Administrator (right-click Command Prompt and
>> click Run As Administrator)
>> - Browse to the folder that will contain web-printed pages
>> - Type: "ICACLS <folder name> /setintegritylevel (CI)(OI)Low"
>>
>> If anyone knows enough about this to confirm or deny its applicability,
>> please let me know.
>>

>> "AuxCox" <AuxCox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have Adobe Professional v7.0 on my pc.
>>> In Windows XP, to print a web page to a PDF file I would simply select
>>> Adobe
>>> PDF as the printer. In Windows Vista when I attempt to do the same
>>> thing it
>>> tells me that for security, it will print the page to a temporary
>>> folder.
>>> When I go to that temporary folder, there is no PDF document. How can I
>>> get
>>> Windows Vista to print the web page to the folder of my choice?
>>> --
>>> AuxCox, Beverly, MA

David A. Lessnau

Re: Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista
Just to let you know, I tried using ICACLS as in my previous post. It
doesn't work. Same problem.

bjr's suggestion of using another PDF printing program knocked a few
neuron's loose in my brain and I tried a different *browser*. There's no
problem printing a web page to a PDF in Firefox. So, as a work-around, try
an alternate browser of some sort. Here's the link to Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

"AuxCox" <AuxCox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Adobe Professional v7.0 on my pc.
> In Windows XP, to print a web page to a PDF file I would simply select
> Adobe
> PDF as the printer. In Windows Vista when I attempt to do the same thing
> it
> tells me that for security, it will print the page to a temporary folder.
> When I go to that temporary folder, there is no PDF document. How can I
> get
> Windows Vista to print the web page to the folder of my choice?
> --
> AuxCox, Beverly, MA

Donald Mills

Re: Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista
As a thought, I use Adobe v8 on Vista Ultimate x86. The add-in button that
can go on the tool bar works great every time. I've noticed also that trying
to print to a printer for PDF is hinky at times. So I always use the little
PDF button that was installed when Adobe v8 loaded and when printing a web
page.

Don't know if that helps any but maybe...