Print sharing from 64-bit Vista to 32-bit XP

carlosn13@gmail.com

Print sharing from 64-bit Vista to 32-bit XP
I have an HP printer attached to a 64-bit machine. Windows recognized
the printer during the install and loaded the drivers. I'd like to
share this printer with a 32-bit XP machine. The XP machine is able
to see the printer, but when I try to connect it indicates that there
are no available drivers. I tried using the drivers that are native
on the XP box (as the printer was previously connected to that same
box), but XP claims that they are not for the right printer.

How do I load 32-bit drivers on the Vista box so that they can be
transfered when I connect to the printer. Rather, I know how to add
them in the printers property box, I just don't know where to get
them! I have the 32-bit DVD, but I can't find them there.

Thanks!
Carlos

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Print sharing from 64-bit Vista to 32-bit XP
You have to install the 32bit OS in order to access the 32bit drivers.

The drivers are located in
\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp ....

Share out the \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository directory.
ntprint.inf is an important one as well.

HP changed a bunch of the driver names in Vista since they were completely
reengineered.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

<carlosn13@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171824664.283486.157580@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
>I have an HP printer attached to a 64-bit machine. Windows recognized
> the printer during the install and loaded the drivers. I'd like to
> share this printer with a 32-bit XP machine. The XP machine is able
> to see the printer, but when I try to connect it indicates that there
> are no available drivers. I tried using the drivers that are native
> on the XP box (as the printer was previously connected to that same
> box), but XP claims that they are not for the right printer.
>
> How do I load 32-bit drivers on the Vista box so that they can be
> transfered when I connect to the printer. Rather, I know how to add
> them in the printers property box, I just don't know where to get
> them! I have the 32-bit DVD, but I can't find them there.
>
> Thanks!
> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?WmFwcG8=?=

Re: Print sharing from 64-bit Vista to 32-bit XP
I have the same problem with an Epson AL C1100 and are very dissapointed,
that the comunication between 32 and 64 bit does not work.

Is it not possible, to install on XP the ordinary 32-bit driver and connect
the printer via network to the vista printer?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> You have to install the 32bit OS in order to access the 32bit drivers.
>
> The drivers are located in
> \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp ....
>
> Share out the \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository directory.
> ntprint.inf is an important one as well.
>
> HP changed a bunch of the driver names in Vista since they were completely
> reengineered.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> <carlosn13@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1171824664.283486.157580@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
> >I have an HP printer attached to a 64-bit machine. Windows recognized
> > the printer during the install and loaded the drivers. I'd like to
> > share this printer with a 32-bit XP machine. The XP machine is able
> > to see the printer, but when I try to connect it indicates that there
> > are no available drivers. I tried using the drivers that are native
> > on the XP box (as the printer was previously connected to that same
> > box), but XP claims that they are not for the right printer.
> >
> > How do I load 32-bit drivers on the Vista box so that they can be
> > transfered when I connect to the printer. Rather, I know how to add
> > them in the printers property box, I just don't know where to get
> > them! I have the 32-bit DVD, but I can't find them there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?UHduYnJva2Vy?=

Re: Print sharing from 64-bit Vista to 32-bit XP
Are you saying that the 64 bit Vista can't use the 32 bit XP drivers to share
the printer? My desktop is running 64 bit Vista and my laptop is running 32
bit XP and I can't find the right driver either for my Epson Stylus Photo
825.

If I understand what you said, then you have to dual boot Vista with XP on
the same machine to use the 32 bit drivers. This is unacceptable really, I
can't afford to go out and buy everything brand new just because I chose to
buy Vista. I spent enough on my new computer to run Vista and can't afford
to buy new hardware every week. Hardware manufacturers I think have dropped
the ball when it came to Vista.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> You have to install the 32bit OS in order to access the 32bit drivers.
>
> The drivers are located in
> \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp ....
>
> Share out the \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository directory.
> ntprint.inf is an important one as well.
>
> HP changed a bunch of the driver names in Vista since they were completely
> reengineered.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> <carlosn13@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1171824664.283486.157580@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
> >I have an HP printer attached to a 64-bit machine. Windows recognized
> > the printer during the install and loaded the drivers. I'd like to
> > share this printer with a 32-bit XP machine. The XP machine is able
> > to see the printer, but when I try to connect it indicates that there
> > are no available drivers. I tried using the drivers that are native
> > on the XP box (as the printer was previously connected to that same
> > box), but XP claims that they are not for the right printer.
> >
> > How do I load 32-bit drivers on the Vista box so that they can be
> > transfered when I connect to the printer. Rather, I know how to add
> > them in the printers property box, I just don't know where to get
> > them! I have the 32-bit DVD, but I can't find them there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Carlos

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Print sharing from 64-bit Vista to 32-bit XP
The print share can be used similar to a file share so the 32bit XP driver
does not have to be installed on the 64 bit machine (and the same is true
when the "server" is 32bit and the client is 64bit). The reason most people
also install the 32bit driver on the 64bit "server" is for the benefit of
the 32bit user having to locate the driver and install it.

Yes the 64bit machine must have a 64bit driver to install the printer, I
assume you are using the drivers included with Vista.

On the XP machine, create a local printer which uses a Local Port in the
form \\Vistamachinename\Printersharename (change the share name on the
64bit machine so it does not have the spaces in it). Select the Epson
32bit driver for the device.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team