Network printing from XP SP2 to Vista

Andy Webb

Network printing from XP SP2 to Vista
Hi,

Hope some one can help.

I have an Epson Ink jet printer connected to my Vista machine and this
prints fine,
but I can't print to it from my networked XP machine.

XP see the networked printer fine but wants to install a print driver,
I've downloaded the
XP driver from Epson and installed it on the XP machine but as I
understand it,
I now have to set up a port, how?

The printer is connected to a USB port on the Vista machine.

Any ideas or am I going about this all the wrong way?

I also have a HP laser connected to the Vista machine and XP prints to
that fine.

Thanks.

Andy
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network printing from XP SP2 to Vista
I never set up a port on my XP PCs when printing to an Epson R200 on my
Vista PC.

I just told the Networking settings on the Vista PCs that passwords are not
required and it's a private network. All PCs can print to all printers.

I think there's some confusion in MS's wording of private and public
networks. Private is one used in a home or an office... doesn't matter
whether it's domain based or workgroup based, it's still private. A public
network is one where many PCs connect through one single hotspot, such as at
Starbucks, McDonalds or almost any airport. There are probably hundreds of
thousands of these, but they are the three that come to mind.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Andy Webb" <andy_m_webb@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Hope some one can help.
>
> I have an Epson Ink jet printer connected to my Vista machine and this
> prints fine,
> but I can't print to it from my networked XP machine.
>
> XP see the networked printer fine but wants to install a print driver,
> I've downloaded the
> XP driver from Epson and installed it on the XP machine but as I
> understand it,
> I now have to set up a port, how?
>
> The printer is connected to a USB port on the Vista machine.
>
> Any ideas or am I going about this all the wrong way?
>
> I also have a HP laser connected to the Vista machine and XP prints to
> that fine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy

Andy Webb

Re: Network printing from XP SP2 to Vista
Thanks for that info.

However I realise that I omitted to mention on my original post,
that I was running Vista 64 bit.

Will what you have said still hold true?

Thanks

Andy

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> I never set up a port on my XP PCs when printing to an Epson R200 on my
> Vista PC.
>
> I just told the Networking settings on the Vista PCs that passwords are
> not required and it's a private network. All PCs can print to all
> printers.
>
> I think there's some confusion in MS's wording of private and public
> networks. Private is one used in a home or an office... doesn't matter
> whether it's domain based or workgroup based, it's still private. A
> public network is one where many PCs connect through one single hotspot,
> such as at Starbucks, McDonalds or almost any airport. There are
> probably hundreds of thousands of these, but they are the three that
> come to mind.

=?Utf-8?B?VGFtbXk=?=

Re: Network printing from XP SP2 to Vista
Hi Andy

You are describing my problem exactly. Did you find a solution???

Tammy