Vista thinks my HP Photosmart All-in-One is just a printer

=?Utf-8?B?TGVuYSBTLiBTdGVu?=

Vista thinks my HP Photosmart All-in-One is just a printer
I have a HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One printer/scanner/copy machine.
I know there are no Vista drivers available at this time, but I'd still like
Vista to know it's not only a printer but a scanner too. How do I do that?

It's connected through our home network and there are no problems printing
with it from any of our other PCs. We have Vista on one machine, XP x64 on
another and XP x32 on a third. The other two PCs can scan and print normally,
but not the Vista machine.

Windows Help and Support tells me to
1. open Network - so I do
2. Locate the scanner
- but I can't locate it, so I click Working with the Scanner and Camera
Installation Wizard-link that's in the bottom of the Help window.
Next thing I know, I've installed a scanner called Xerox that doesn't work
at all.

What can I do to convince Vista that my printer is also a scanner? I even
have the network adress to it, but don't know what to do.
=?Utf-8?B?QmltIFJvd2xleQ==?=

RE: Vista thinks my HP Photosmart All-in-One is just a printer
I have the same problem with the hp d145 All in One. Hp suggests buying a
new printer -- which I doubt would have a driver that would work either.
Hopefully hp will get to work and support their equipment.

"Lena S. Sten" wrote:

> I have a HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One printer/scanner/copy machine.
> I know there are no Vista drivers available at this time, but I'd still like
> Vista to know it's not only a printer but a scanner too. How do I do that?
>
> It's connected through our home network and there are no problems printing
> with it from any of our other PCs. We have Vista on one machine, XP x64 on
> another and XP x32 on a third. The other two PCs can scan and print normally,
> but not the Vista machine.
>
> Windows Help and Support tells me to
> 1. open Network - so I do
> 2. Locate the scanner
> - but I can't locate it, so I click Working with the Scanner and Camera
> Installation Wizard-link that's in the bottom of the Help window.
> Next thing I know, I've installed a scanner called Xerox that doesn't work
> at all.
>
> What can I do to convince Vista that my printer is also a scanner? I even
> have the network adress to it, but don't know what to do.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista thinks my HP Photosmart All-in-One is just a printer
HP tells you to wait while they're working on writing the drivers.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...439488&lang=en
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Lena S. Sten" <Lena S. Sten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One printer/scanner/copy machine.
> I know there are no Vista drivers available at this time, but I'd still
> like
> Vista to know it's not only a printer but a scanner too. How do I do that?
>
> It's connected through our home network and there are no problems printing
> with it from any of our other PCs. We have Vista on one machine, XP x64 on
> another and XP x32 on a third. The other two PCs can scan and print
> normally,
> but not the Vista machine.
>
> Windows Help and Support tells me to
> 1. open Network - so I do
> 2. Locate the scanner
> - but I can't locate it, so I click Working with the Scanner and Camera
> Installation Wizard-link that's in the bottom of the Help window.
> Next thing I know, I've installed a scanner called Xerox that doesn't work
> at all.
>
> What can I do to convince Vista that my printer is also a scanner? I even
> have the network adress to it, but don't know what to do.

RickB

Re: Vista thinks my HP Photosmart All-in-One is just a printer
Using Windows Photo Gallery with File / Import from Camera or Scanner
recognizes my HP C3140 Printer/Scanner (USB connected).

"Lena S. Sten" <Lena S. Sten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One printer/scanner/copy machine.
> I know there are no Vista drivers available at this time, but I'd still
> like
> Vista to know it's not only a printer but a scanner too. How do I do that?
>
> It's connected through our home network and there are no problems printing
> with it from any of our other PCs. We have Vista on one machine, XP x64 on
> another and XP x32 on a third. The other two PCs can scan and print
> normally,
> but not the Vista machine.
>
> Windows Help and Support tells me to
> 1. open Network - so I do
> 2. Locate the scanner
> - but I can't locate it, so I click Working with the Scanner and Camera
> Installation Wizard-link that's in the bottom of the Help window.
> Next thing I know, I've installed a scanner called Xerox that doesn't work
> at all.
>
> What can I do to convince Vista that my printer is also a scanner? I even
> have the network adress to it, but don't know what to do.

=?Utf-8?B?TGVuYSBTLiBTdGVu?=

Re: Vista thinks my HP Photosmart All-in-One is just a printer
I can also go to the printer's direct network adress (in my case 10.0.0.7)
and use its own home page to scan.
However, I have a lot of scanning to do and the old driver in XP gave me the
option to scan to .pdf-documents and not just pictures. I really miss that
function.