Epson Scan crashes with Vista

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM0NTEz?=

Epson Scan crashes with Vista
Vista Home Premium installed over XP on an relatively new HP computer,
installed latest (Vista) software from Epson for Perfection 3170 scanner.

Epson Perfection 3170 scanner works fine with Microsoft Scanner and Fax
Wizard. Crashes with Epson Scan application (see specifics below). Spoke with
Epson support who thinks this is a Microsoft problem.

Using Photoshop Elements which calls Epson Scan and then hangs because Epson
Scan crashes.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Specific error is:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: escndv.exe
Application Version: 3.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 440b9451
Fault Module Name: ESUI.DLL
Fault Module Version: 3.0.3.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 44b5a3f7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00079801
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4e3b
Additional Information 2: bac4e76bea57c842e03158e613bf9ae9
Additional Information 3: 5601
Additional Information 4: e80ca8fc053074f35816bef11ff79e22

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan
Abe

Re: Epson Scan crashes with Vista
>Vista Home Premium installed over XP on an relatively new HP computer,
>installed latest (Vista) software from Epson for Perfection 3170 scanner.
>Epson Perfection 3170 scanner works fine with Microsoft Scanner and Fax
>Wizard. Crashes with Epson Scan application (see specifics below). Spoke with
>Epson support who thinks this is a Microsoft problem.
>
>Using Photoshop Elements which calls Epson Scan and then hangs because Epson
>Scan crashes.
>
>Please advise.
>
>Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>Application Name: escndv.exe
>Application Version: 3.0.0.1
>Fault Module Name: ESUI.DLL
>Fault Module Version: 3.0.3.1

I have the same scanner, but did a clean install of Vista and then
installed the Vista driver for the 3170 from Epson. Works fine. No
hangs or crashes.

Since you did an upgrade, and by looking at the version numbers, it
seems your old drivers didn't get replaced properly.

Try unplugging the scanner from the PC, removing the software, and all
traces of the device in Device manager, then manually deleting the
remaining Epson scan files from the hard drive (look for epson
directories, look in Windows, Common files, etc...). Then reboot,
install the new driver first, and hook up the scanner. An extra reboot
might be necessary before the scanner is recognized properly.
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM0NTEz?=

"Abe" wrote:

> >Vista Home Premium installed over XP on an relatively new HP computer,
> >installed latest (Vista) software from Epson for Perfection 3170 scanner.
> >Epson Perfection 3170 scanner works fine with Microsoft Scanner and Fax
> >Wizard. Crashes with Epson Scan application (see specifics below). Spoke with
> >Epson support who thinks this is a Microsoft problem.
> >
> >Using Photoshop Elements which calls Epson Scan and then hangs because Epson
> >Scan crashes.
> >
> >Please advise.
> >
> >Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> >Application Name: escndv.exe
> >Application Version: 3.0.0.1
> >Fault Module Name: ESUI.DLL
> >Fault Module Version: 3.0.3.1

> I have the same scanner, but did a clean install of Vista and then
> installed the Vista driver for the 3170 from Epson. Works fine. No
> hangs or crashes.
>
> Since you did an upgrade, and by looking at the version numbers, it
> seems your old drivers didn't get replaced properly.
>
> Try unplugging the scanner from the PC, removing the software, and all
> traces of the device in Device manager, then manually deleting the
> remaining Epson scan files from the hard drive (look for epson
> directories, look in Windows, Common files, etc...). Then reboot,
> install the new driver first, and hook up the scanner. An extra reboot
> might be necessary before the scanner is recognized properly.

Abe - thanks for the suggestions. I did clean the system up pretty well. The
scanner works fine with the Vista scanner Wizard. The system shows the driver
installed just fine. I can use the scanner with applications (specifically
Photoshop Elements 5.0) with the WIA-Epson selection. But Epson Scan still
crashes - either as an application launch or called by Photoshop.