Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Printing to USB on Vista from DOS?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9ubmU3MA==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Printing to USB on Vista from DOS?
I desperately need to print from my Dos-program to a printer that is
connected with USB.

Seems like the "net use lpt1 \\computername\printername" in Vista does not
work at all! My Dos-program just gets a fatal error when trying to print.
Tried various programs like dosprn, but none seems to work on Vista.

My setup is as follows: 2 computers connected trough a router. 1 printer,
connected with USB to one of the computers. The printer is shared, so that
both computers can use it.

What to do? Go back to XP?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007
Davide Guolo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing to USB on Vista from DOS?
On Feb 13, 10:14 am, Jonne70 <Jonn...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Seems like the "net use lpt1 \\computername\printername" in Vista does not
> work at all! My Dos-program just gets a fatal error when trying to print.
> Tried various programs likedosprn, but none seems to work on Vista.


you may want to have a look at Printfil: http://www.printfil.com

For any problem you may have on your Vista machine with Printfil,
please contact us directly: http://www.printfil.com/esupp.htm

Regards,
Davide Guolo
aSwIt s.r.l.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.aSwIt.com/odbc4all
@Kill - Batch Close Windows Applications - Freeware
http://www.aSwIt.com/akill
--------------------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing to USB on Vista from DOS?
Bruce has good solutions

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

DOS in XP (as well as Vista) does not support direct USB printing.




--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Jonne70" <Jonne70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:83CE6691-9671-4BE0-BE45-0F95F960A028@microsoft.com...
>I desperately need to print from my Dos-program to a printer that is
> connected with USB.
>
> Seems like the "net use lpt1 \\computername\printername" in Vista does not
> work at all! My Dos-program just gets a fatal error when trying to print.
> Tried various programs like dosprn, but none seems to work on Vista.
>
> My setup is as follows: 2 computers connected trough a router. 1 printer,
> connected with USB to one of the computers. The printer is shared, so that
> both computers can use it.
>
> What to do? Go back to XP?



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2007
Jonne70
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing to USB on Vista from DOS?
Thank you both for your replies.

I now understand why I could no longer print from DOS: the Brother printer
driver supplied by Windows Vista is a Winprinter driver only, with crappy
dpi as
well.

So I will have to wait for a high-quality driver from Brother that supports
pcl5/6, because the net use trick cannot work with a winprinter.

I tried Printfil, but so far no luck, it doesn't seem to work with Vista.
Maybe their support will be able to help me.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:%237mpmD6THHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Bruce has good solutions
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
>
> DOS in XP (as well as Vista) does not support direct USB printing.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
> "Jonne70" <Jonne70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:83CE6691-9671-4BE0-BE45-0F95F960A028@microsoft.com...
>>I desperately need to print from my Dos-program to a printer that is
>> connected with USB.
>>
>> Seems like the "net use lpt1 \\computername\printername" in Vista does
>> not
>> work at all! My Dos-program just gets a fatal error when trying to print.
>> Tried various programs like dosprn, but none seems to work on Vista.
>>
>> My setup is as follows: 2 computers connected trough a router. 1 printer,
>> connected with USB to one of the computers. The printer is shared, so
>> that
>> both computers can use it.
>>
>> What to do? Go back to XP?

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2007
Davide Guolo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing to USB on Vista from DOS?
On Feb 14, 10:35 am, "Jonne70" <joni...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I tried Printfil, but so far no luck, it doesn't seem to work with Vista.
> Maybe their support will be able to help me.


yes, it works. Please see http://www.printfil.com/efaq11.htm and
http://www.printfil.com/efaq14.htm

If you still have troubles, we are here to help you.

Regards,
Davide Guolo
aSwIt s.r.l.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.aSwIt.com/odbc4all
@Kill - Batch Close Windows Applications - Freeware
http://www.aSwIt.com/akill
--------------------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP Can't access Vista Share TedF microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 12 04-30-2010 14:12
Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help Neil microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 10 10-26-2009 11:55
Network Printing Delay from Vista to XP Printers Neil microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 04-07-2007 04:26
Printing problem from XP Wireless to Vista Home Premium Desktop PC =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-14-2007 07:00
IPP Printing in Vista =?Utf-8?B?Q2FtZWwgVG9l?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 02-03-2007 17:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120