Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??

Tom

Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).

Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
(Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
(either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
downloadable NOW).

So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

John

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
Tom,

I'm in the same boat with my Lexmark X6170.

I've been looking at the HP C6180, but it's $269 at Best Buy.

I have a little time to plan, as I haven't put Vista on my laptop yet.
Trouble is, I really like my Lexmark X6170.

I agree; it's very frustrating to find out Lexmark has made prior
(future???) customers such a low priority.

John

"Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
> especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
> drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
> just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
> they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
> months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
> don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
> this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
> got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
> their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).
>
> Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
> printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
> (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
> photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
> world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
> (either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
> downloadable NOW).
>
> So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
> criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tom

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
Consumers have never been particularly high on Lexmark's priorities. It's
one of the reasons their printers are very cheap. The saying 'you get what
you pay for' is correct.

Look at the AIOs from Epson and Canon. Go to the store and ask for
demonstrations. When you have narrowed down your list and before purchase,
return home, go to their websites and check they have Vista drivers.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"John" <John@Invalid> wrote in message
> Tom,
>
> I'm in the same boat with my Lexmark X6170.
>
> I've been looking at the HP C6180, but it's $269 at Best Buy.
>
> I have a little time to plan, as I haven't put Vista on my laptop yet.
> Trouble is, I really like my Lexmark X6170.
>

> I agree; it's very frustrating to find out Lexmark has made prior
> (future???) customers such a low priority.
>

> John
>

> "Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
>> especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
>> drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
>> just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
>> they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
>> months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
>> don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
>> this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
>> got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
>> their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).
>>
>> Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
>> printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
>> (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
>> photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
>> world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
>> (either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
>> downloadable NOW).
>>
>> So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
>> criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Tom

Dan

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
An all in one for 150.00 or under gets you crap in quality. The Canon MP830
is a damn good all in one solution. The ink is cheap, the printer is
excellent, and it has Vista drivers.

Dan

"Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
> especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
> drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
> just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
> they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
> months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
> don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
> this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
> got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
> their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).
>
> Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
> printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
> (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
> photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
> world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
> (either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
> downloadable NOW).
>
> So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
> criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tom

Steve Urbach

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:36:00 -0800, "Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote:

>OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
>especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
>drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
>just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
>they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
>months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
>don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
>this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
>got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
>their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).
>
>Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
>printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
>(Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
>photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
>world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
>(either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
>downloadable NOW).
>
>So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
>criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tom

My Monochrome Laser (Brother MFC 8820 Duplex Network) worked with the
MS supplied print driver for USB. I then changed the PORT to standard
TCP/IP and entered the IP (I use the Network connection) Port 1 (multi
port internal print server device.
I then manually installed the Scanning driver, again entering the IP
Port 2. Took some fiddling, but it works SOLID for both Print and
Scan.
The network FAX does NOT work from Vista RC2

All the Brothers use the same Network card.

=?iso-8859-1?B?RGFuaWVsIEP0dOk=?=

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
Newly bought Canon MP600 seems to work beautifully under Vista, plus it's
considered one of the very best printers out there. Very fast, very easy to
use, and hot to trot.

Dan
Sudbury, Canada

=?Utf-8?B?bmJvc3Q=?=

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
I totally agree. I have been a loyal Lexmark customer but am not going to
wait forever for a driver for my X7170. My brother suggests checking out the
HP multifunctions if I can't get a driver for my Lexmark.

"John" wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I'm in the same boat with my Lexmark X6170.
>
> I've been looking at the HP C6180, but it's $269 at Best Buy.
>
> I have a little time to plan, as I haven't put Vista on my laptop yet.
> Trouble is, I really like my Lexmark X6170.
>

> I agree; it's very frustrating to find out Lexmark has made prior
> (future???) customers such a low priority.
>

> John
>

> "Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
> > especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
> > drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
> > just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
> > they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
> > months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
> > don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
> > this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
> > got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
> > their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).
> >
> > Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
> > printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
> > (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
> > photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
> > world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
> > (either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
> > downloadable NOW).
> >
> > So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
> > criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Tom

mikeyhsd

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
you will most likely find the same problems with driver support with hp.

check out canon.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"John" wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I'm in the same boat with my Lexmark X6170.
>
> I've been looking at the HP C6180, but it's $269 at Best Buy.
>
> I have a little time to plan, as I haven't put Vista on my laptop yet.
> Trouble is, I really like my Lexmark X6170.
>

> I agree; it's very frustrating to find out Lexmark has made prior
> (future???) customers such a low priority.
>

> John
>

> "Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > OK, I have had it with Lexmark and their lame excuses for support -
> > especially since I have an X5150 and they have NO idea as to when Vista
> > drivers will be out! I don't even care whether I can fax/scan/etc, but
> > just print. (And yes, I tried installing the old drivers but trust me
> > they don't work). They told me to keep checking back in the next few
> > months... MONTHS?!? I am supposed to do without printing for MONTHS?? I
> > don't think so - what burns me is that they could have been testing
> > this stuff all along (I know, I was a Vista beta tester) and hopefully
> > got drivers out quickly. But no, one has to wait months, especially on
> > their older printers (X5150 was out in 2003, but works great).
> >
> > Anyway, I am going to can Lexmark and look for another all-in-one
> > printer. What I want is (1) All-in-one capability
> > (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), (2) With good text print quality, and (3) Good
> > photo print quality. Photo doesn't have to be the greatest in the
> > world, but good. Oh, and they have to have Vista drivers available
> > (either one that is built into Vista - such as a lot of HP printers, or
> > downloadable NOW).
> >
> > So, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one that meets the above
> > criteria? It would be nice also if it were around $150 or less.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Tom

Tom

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
Dan: I agree... so much so that I went out and got a Canon MP600. I
must say GREAT PRINTER and the drivers work fine in Vista!

Thanks for the advice!

Tom
--

Daniel Côté wrote:

>Newly bought Canon MP600 seems to work beautifully under Vista, plus
>it's considered one of the very best printers out there. Very fast,
>very easy to use, and hot to trot.
>
>Dan
>Sudbury, Canada

Tom

Re: Good OfficeJet/All-In-One printer for Vista??
To all: After reading the comments I did give up on Lexmark and went
out to Best Buy and got a new Canon MP600. I must say this is a GREAT
printer/scanner/copier - easy (and nice to use) controls, and the
printing is really nice. Almost like a laser.

After only using it 5 days I must say it is one of the best printers I
have ever purchased. Highly recommend it, and the Vista drivers work
great!

So long, Lexmark!

Tom