Network Printing From Vista to XP

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

Network Printing From Vista to XP
hello,

I have a Brand new gateway Vitsta premium laptop which is wireless.
Networked to A New gateway XP desktop. My printer is a Canon i9900. I can not
for the life of me get it to print. I always get Acees denied you do not have
permission. I have verified the network is fine because I can share files
from the laptop and Desktop. Once I try and choose a printer i get that error
message "Acess denied you do not have permission". I have verified that
printer Sharing is enabled on the Desktop. There is no where that I see that
I can set any "permissions" on XP because it does not give me the security
tab that Vista does.
What am I doing wrong here or is the a major problem with Vista Network
printing ?

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP
Do your workgroups match?
Do the usernames and passwords match on both systems?
You can set permissions in XP if you boot into Safe Mode and login as
Administrator then you get the Security tab.

--
P Hutchison

"CPickens" wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have a Brand new gateway Vitsta premium laptop which is wireless.
> Networked to A New gateway XP desktop. My printer is a Canon i9900. I can not
> for the life of me get it to print. I always get Acees denied you do not have
> permission. I have verified the network is fine because I can share files
> from the laptop and Desktop. Once I try and choose a printer i get that error
> message "Acess denied you do not have permission". I have verified that
> printer Sharing is enabled on the Desktop. There is no where that I see that
> I can set any "permissions" on XP because it does not give me the security
> tab that Vista does.
> What am I doing wrong here or is the a major problem with Vista Network
> printing ?

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP
Peter,

My workgroups as far as I can tell is MSHOME on each computer.
I do not know if usernames and passwords are the same, can you guide me to
where I would find them on each computer ( Vista and XP ) ? I have never had
to use them in the past.

I used the Wireless Network Wizard on XP to get both Vista and XP Talking to
eachother. I have disabled each firewall to no avail, so I don't think its a
firewall issue.

I tried the safe boot you mentioned and I could not access the printer at
all both in Normal Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking ( XP Machine ).

I will be the first to admit I am not a Wiz with networking.
I do know when Both Computers were XP everything worked fine.

Anymore suggetions would be very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Curt

"Peter" wrote:

> Do your workgroups match?
> Do the usernames and passwords match on both systems?
> You can set permissions in XP if you boot into Safe Mode and login as
> Administrator then you get the Security tab.
>
> --
> P Hutchison
>

> "CPickens" wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > I have a Brand new gateway Vitsta premium laptop which is wireless.
> > Networked to A New gateway XP desktop. My printer is a Canon i9900. I can not
> > for the life of me get it to print. I always get Acees denied you do not have
> > permission. I have verified the network is fine because I can share files
> > from the laptop and Desktop. Once I try and choose a printer i get that error
> > message "Acess denied you do not have permission". I have verified that
> > printer Sharing is enabled on the Desktop. There is no where that I see that
> > I can set any "permissions" on XP because it does not give me the security
> > tab that Vista does.
> > What am I doing wrong here or is the a major problem with Vista Network
> > printing ?

Warren

Re: Network Printing From Vista to XP
I can say that I had a few minutes of a hard time, hooking up my new printer
(HP Officejet 5610v) and trying to get the second XP machine to recognize
its new and only network printer on the Vista machine. After some fiddling,
all sharing enabled from the Vista side, from the XP side, I just scanned
the network and clicked the printer in the explorer pane, and it kept it as
the printer. Make sure you delete all old printers kept in the printer
folder in control panel/printers first.

--
Sandman

Your village called... they want their idiot back!

"CPickens" <CPickens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> My workgroups as far as I can tell is MSHOME on each computer.
> I do not know if usernames and passwords are the same, can you guide me to
> where I would find them on each computer ( Vista and XP ) ? I have never
> had
> to use them in the past.
>
> I used the Wireless Network Wizard on XP to get both Vista and XP Talking
> eachother. I have disabled each firewall to no avail, so I don't think its
> firewall issue.
>
> I tried the safe boot you mentioned and I could not access the printer at
> all both in Normal Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking ( XP Machine ).
>
> I will be the first to admit I am not a Wiz with networking.
> I do know when Both Computers were XP everything worked fine.
>
> Anymore suggetions would be very welcome and appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Curt
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Do your workgroups match?
>> Do the usernames and passwords match on both systems?
>> You can set permissions in XP if you boot into Safe Mode and login as
>> Administrator then you get the Security tab.
>>
>> --
>> P Hutchison
>>

>> "CPickens" wrote:
>>
>> > hello,
>> >
>> > I have a Brand new gateway Vitsta premium laptop which is wireless.
>> > Networked to A New gateway XP desktop. My printer is a Canon i9900. I
>> > can not
>> > for the life of me get it to print. I always get Acees denied you do
>> > not have
>> > permission. I have verified the network is fine because I can share
>> > files
>> > from the laptop and Desktop. Once I try and choose a printer i get that
>> > error
>> > message "Acess denied you do not have permission". I have verified that
>> > printer Sharing is enabled on the Desktop. There is no where that I see
>> > that
>> > I can set any "permissions" on XP because it does not give me the
>> > security
>> > tab that Vista does.
>> > What am I doing wrong here or is the a major problem with Vista
>> > Network
>> > printing ?

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

Re: Network Printing From Vista to XP
Let me clarify once more. My Vista Machine is my Laptop, nad does not have a
local Printer. My XP machine is my server on my Network and has the Printer.
After speaking with Gateway they blame it on Microsoft, Microsoft will not
even take my call because Gateway preinstalled the Vista Page on my Laptop.
Microsoft YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES ! With all these problems of
network printing rearing its ugly head YOU HAD TO KNOW THIS WAS NOT READY FOR
RELEASE !

"Warren" wrote:

> I can say that I had a few minutes of a hard time, hooking up my new printer
> (HP Officejet 5610v) and trying to get the second XP machine to recognize
> its new and only network printer on the Vista machine. After some fiddling,
> all sharing enabled from the Vista side, from the XP side, I just scanned
> the network and clicked the printer in the explorer pane, and it kept it as
> the printer. Make sure you delete all old printers kept in the printer
> folder in control panel/printers first.
>
> --
> Sandman
>
> Your village called... they want their idiot back!
>
> "CPickens" <CPickens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Peter,
> >
> > My workgroups as far as I can tell is MSHOME on each computer.
> > I do not know if usernames and passwords are the same, can you guide me to
> > where I would find them on each computer ( Vista and XP ) ? I have never
> > had
> > to use them in the past.
> >
> > I used the Wireless Network Wizard on XP to get both Vista and XP Talking
> > eachother. I have disabled each firewall to no avail, so I don't think its
> > firewall issue.
> >
> > I tried the safe boot you mentioned and I could not access the printer at
> > all both in Normal Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking ( XP Machine ).
> >
> > I will be the first to admit I am not a Wiz with networking.
> > I do know when Both Computers were XP everything worked fine.
> >
> > Anymore suggetions would be very welcome and appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Curt
> >
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> Do your workgroups match?
> >> Do the usernames and passwords match on both systems?
> >> You can set permissions in XP if you boot into Safe Mode and login as
> >> Administrator then you get the Security tab.
> >>
> >> --
> >> P Hutchison

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP

> My workgroups as far as I can tell is MSHOME on each computer.
> I do not know if usernames and passwords are the same, can you guide me to
> where I would find them on each computer ( Vista and XP ) ? I have never had
> to use them in the past.

See Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts and make sure the usernames are
the same. To check passwords, reset password to the same value.

> I used the Wireless Network Wizard on XP to get both Vista and XP Talking to
> eachother. I have disabled each firewall to no avail, so I don't think its a
> firewall issue.

Make sure File and Print Sharing is enabled on XP, and a shared printer name
is set up on XP. Once that is done you should be able to browse to the XP
machine via
\\<pcname> to pick up the printer.

> I tried the safe boot you mentioned and I could not access the printer at
> all both in Normal Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking ( XP Machine ).

Networking will not be available in safe mode, so I would not continue with
that.

> I will be the first to admit I am not a Wiz with networking.
> I do know when Both Computers were XP everything worked fine.
>
> Anymore suggetions would be very welcome and appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP
Pete,
That also does not work ! Everything matches on both computers.Printer and
Files Sharing is on. It now Sees my Network Printer name on the Vista
machine, but I am still getting the same message. "WINDOWS CAN NOT ACCESS THE
PRINTER ACESSS DENIED"

"Peter" wrote:

> > My workgroups as far as I can tell is MSHOME on each computer.
> > I do not know if usernames and passwords are the same, can you guide me to
> > where I would find them on each computer ( Vista and XP ) ? I have never had
> > to use them in the past.

> See Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts and make sure the usernames are
> the same. To check passwords, reset password to the same value.
>
> > I used the Wireless Network Wizard on XP to get both Vista and XP Talking to
> > eachother. I have disabled each firewall to no avail, so I don't think its a
> > firewall issue.

> Make sure File and Print Sharing is enabled on XP, and a shared printer name
> is set up on XP. Once that is done you should be able to browse to the XP
> machine via
> \\<pcname> to pick up the printer.
>
> > I tried the safe boot you mentioned and I could not access the printer at
> > all both in Normal Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking ( XP Machine ).

> Networking will not be available in safe mode, so I would not continue with
> that.
>
> > I will be the first to admit I am not a Wiz with networking.
> > I do know when Both Computers were XP everything worked fine.
> >
> > Anymore suggetions would be very welcome and appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP
Try installing the printers drivers on your Vista PC, also try enabling Guest
account on your XP PC, then try connecting to the Printer.

--
P Hutchison

"CPickens" wrote:

> Pete,
> That also does not work ! Everything matches on both computers.Printer and
> Files Sharing is on. It now Sees my Network Printer name on the Vista
> machine, but I am still getting the same message. "WINDOWS CAN NOT ACCESS THE
> PRINTER ACESSS DENIED"
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>

> > > My workgroups as far as I can tell is MSHOME on each computer.
> > > I do not know if usernames and passwords are the same, can you guide me to
> > > where I would find them on each computer ( Vista and XP ) ? I have never had
> > > to use them in the past.

> > See Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts and make sure the usernames are
> > the same. To check passwords, reset password to the same value.
> >
> > > I used the Wireless Network Wizard on XP to get both Vista and XP Talking to
> > > eachother. I have disabled each firewall to no avail, so I don't think its a
> > > firewall issue.

> > Make sure File and Print Sharing is enabled on XP, and a shared printer name
> > is set up on XP. Once that is done you should be able to browse to the XP
> > machine via
> > \\<pcname> to pick up the printer.
> >
> > > I tried the safe boot you mentioned and I could not access the printer at
> > > all both in Normal Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking ( XP Machine ).

> > Networking will not be available in safe mode, so I would not continue with
> > that.
> >
> > > I will be the first to admit I am not a Wiz with networking.
> > > I do know when Both Computers were XP everything worked fine.
> > >
> > > Anymore suggetions would be very welcome and appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP
Still no go Pete.
Same message "acess Denied"

"Peter" wrote:

> Try installing the printers drivers on your Vista PC, also try enabling Guest
> account on your XP PC, then try connecting to the Printer.
>
> --
> P Hutchison
>

> "CPickens" wrote:
>
> > Pete,
> > That also does not work ! Everything matches on both computers.Printer and
> > Files Sharing is on. It now Sees my Network Printer name on the Vista
> > machine, but I am still getting the same message. "WINDOWS CAN NOT ACCESS THE
> > PRINTER ACESSS DENIED"

> > > See Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts and make sure the usernames are
> > > the same. To check passwords, reset password to the same value.

> > > Make sure File and Print Sharing is enabled on XP, and a shared printer name
> > > is set up on XP. Once that is done you should be able to browse to the XP
> > > machine via
> > > \\<pcname> to pick up the printer.

> > > Networking will not be available in safe mode, so I would not continue with
> > > that.

=?Utf-8?B?Q1BpY2tlbnM=?=

RE: Network Printing From Vista to XP
WHY DOESN"T MS GET OF THIER LAZY ASSES AND GET THESE PRINTING PROBLEMS FIXED
! THE ONLY DAMNED THING THAT WILL CONVINCE THEM IS ANOTHER HUGE LAWSUIT !
MS CAN KISS MY HAIY WHITE ASS IF THEY EVER THINK I WILL BUY ANOTHER ONE OF
THIER SYSTEMS !